D&D 5E List of All 33 Races in Mordenkainen's Monsters of the Multiverse

Mordenkainen Presents Monsters of the Multiverse contains 33 races compiled from previous Dungeons & Dragons books. Aarackocra Assimar Bugbear Centaur Changeling Deep Gnome Duergar Eladrin Fairy Firbolg Genasi, Air Genasi, Earth Genasi, Fire Gennasi, Water Githyanki Githzerai Goblin Goliath Harengon Hobgoblin Kenku Kobold Lizardfolk Minotaur Orc Satyr Sea Elf Shadar Kai Shifter Tabaxi...

Mordenkainen Presents Monsters of the Multiverse contains 33 races compiled from previous Dungeons & Dragons books.

greg-rutkowski-monsters-of-the-multiverse-1920.jpg

• Aarackocra
  • Assimar
  • Bugbear
  • Centaur
  • Changeling
  • Deep Gnome
  • Duergar
  • Eladrin
  • Fairy
  • Firbolg
  • Genasi, Air
  • Genasi, Earth
  • Genasi, Fire
  • Gennasi, Water
  • Githyanki
  • Githzerai
  • Goblin
  • Goliath
  • Harengon
  • Hobgoblin
  • Kenku
  • Kobold
  • Lizardfolk
  • Minotaur
  • Orc
  • Satyr
  • Sea Elf
  • Shadar Kai
  • Shifter
  • Tabaxi
  • Turtle
  • Triton
  • Yuan-ti

While reprinted, these races have all been updated to the current standard used by WotC for D&D races used in Tasha's Cauldron of Everything, including a free choice of ability score increases (increase one by 2 points and another by 1 point; or increase three by 1 point), and small races not suffering a movement speed penalty.

The video below from Nerd Immersion delves into the races in more detail.

Levistus's_Leviathan

5e Freelancer
I dont think they'll have the same behavior. I think they'll have no behavior and WotC will expect everyone to make it up on their own. They've already removed all mechanics for culture. Why stop there?
Because they are. Have you read the most recent UA? It specifically details multiple ways that Hadozee, Plasmoids, and Autognomes act differently from Humans. WotC is still having cultural elements of their races. There's no reason for them to remove them altogether.

Faolyn

(she/her)
I'm not. Anything halflings get to move faster in combat, humans, elves, etc. get, too.
No, they don't get to move faster in combat. Their speed is now 30 feet. You can justify that by saying that they hurry up in combat or any other situation that involves knowing exact distances, but normally walk slower, if you really feel the need for halflings to be slower. Or you can accept that they walk exactly as fast as humans.

They only way they actually would be walking faster is if they had a trait that said so.

So that's what you don't get. Halflings and gnomes now have a speed of 30 feet just like goblins and kobolds always have had.* That only affects combat and a few other situations. It doesn't have to affect normal walking. Why can you accept a fire-breathing, flying, intelligent dragon the size of a 18-wheeler but not that halflings and gnomes, or at least those that are PCs, can walk as fast as a human can?

* Also derro, grippli, and xvarts. And jermlaine, who are Tiny. All 30-foot movement.

Then it doesn't matter if humans as a race are marathoners. PCs can be built like halfling sprinters(I can't type halfling sprinters without laughing out loud).
What's funny about it?

Honestly, it seems like maybe you need to sit and think about it for a minute or two instead of just reacting.

Irlo

Hero
So that's what you don't get. Halflings and gnomes now have a speed of 30 feet just like goblins and kobolds always have had.* That only affects combat and a few other situations. It doesn't have to affect normal walking. Why can you accept a fire-breathing, flying, intelligent dragon the size of a 18-wheeler but not that halflings and gnomes, or at least those that are PCs, can walk as fast as a human can?

* Also derro, grippli, and xvarts. And jermlaine, who are Tiny. All 30-foot movement.
**And fire giants. Don't forget fire giants.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
No, they don't get to move faster in combat. Their speed is now 30 feet. You can justify that by saying that they hurry up in combat or any other situation that involves knowing exact distances, but normally walk slower, if you really feel the need for halflings to be slower. Or you can accept that they walk exactly as fast as humans.
Why would I accept nonsense? Halflings in my game will remain at the slower speed a humanoid creature with no explicit physiology explaining a difference would move at. If WotC offers up some odd physiology to explain it, I will consider adding it in.
He's working to get under 5 hours and 10 minutes in the IM 70.3 races. The top 10 finishers are under 4 hours. That's a bigger gap in speed than between halflings and humans. It's also endurance running, not sprinting(short distance speed) which is what we are talking about.

guachi

Hero
They could expand on backgrounds and give it some more mechanical weight.

This is something I've wanted since the first moment I saw Background in the free rules - even before the PHB came out. I can't see WotC ever doing this. "33 New Races!!!!" is what sells. Not "33 New Backgrounds". I can't see WotC ever doing that, though.

To me, a PC's race isn't nearly as interesting as his Background or Culture. A PC's race is almost never a motivation for anything. "I'm a human" isn't a motivation for anything. "I'm a Dwarf" isn't a motivation for anything.

pukunui

Legend
Again, where is this information? Where is the D&D book I can reference with these mysterious Drow cultures that just appeared out of nowhere somehow?
Oddly enough, while WotC has stated that this will be the case for drow in D&D going forward in an official article on their website, so far the only book they’ve been mentioned in is the latest Drizzt novel, which doesn’t really count, since WotC also recently said that the novels were no longer considered canon. I can only assume they have plans to publish info about the two new cultures in an upcoming FR product that we don’t know about yet.

JEB

Legend
Maybe the 5.5e PHB will introduce a flaws system where you can optionally take a flaw or two for a feat or two, with Sunlight Sensitivity being one such flaw and slow being another.
I sincerely doubt it - clearly they're done with PCs having any kind of mechanical drawbacks, even if it's balanced by more power in other aspects. At best, this could be suggested as an idea in the 2024 DMG - but that seems unlikely as well.

Anyways with "culture" being booted from Races, do they get added to the background in the future, buffing them, or do they make cultures their own mechanic?
I'd like to see the extracted cultural stuff integrated into backgrounds or made into their own mechanic, but since we've seen no such thing tested yet, I'm not placing any bets on that happening. The significantly reduced lore for every new/updated race since the new paradigm took force also suggests that deletion is more likely. But I guess we'll see over the next two years.

JEB

Legend
And Goblinoids are regaining their Fey Ancestry from 4e, which hints that they might get a lore update in a future book (maybe Monsters of the Multiverse).
What 4E book gave the goblin races fey ancestry? The 4E Monster Manual race writeups for goblins and hobgoblins have no such thing, was that provided as a non-core option in a later book? I recall mentions of how goblins in the Feywild were different from the default, but that's the opposite of what's happening here.

Have you read the most recent UA? It specifically details multiple ways that Hadozee, Plasmoids, and Autognomes act differently from Humans. WotC is still having cultural elements of their races. There's no reason for them to remove them altogether.
Hadozee get one single cultural trait ("community"). Plasmoids are described entirely in biological terms. Autognomes are described in terms of either their origins (which are random) or physical nature. Of the others, astral elves get some decent RP ideas, but giff are basically one cultural trait and a joke, and thri-kreen are also purely biological.

The lack of answers to "how should I roleplay a character from this species" was one of my biggest criticisms of that UA in feedback. Getting rid of monocultures is great... but replacing it with nothing, or a single stereotypical gimmick for casual DMs to run into the ground, is not an improvement.

Remove ads

Remove ads