D&D 5E List of All 33 Races in Mordenkainen's Monsters of the Multiverse

Mordenkainen Presents Monsters of the Multiverse contains 33 races compiled from previous Dungeons & Dragons books. Aarackocra Assimar Bugbear Centaur Changeling Deep Gnome Duergar Eladrin Fairy Firbolg Genasi, Air Genasi, Earth Genasi, Fire Gennasi, Water Githyanki Githzerai Goblin Goliath Harengon Hobgoblin Kenku Kobold Lizardfolk Minotaur Orc Satyr Sea Elf Shadar Kai Shifter Tabaxi...

Mordenkainen Presents Monsters of the Multiverse contains 33 races compiled from previous Dungeons & Dragons books.

greg-rutkowski-monsters-of-the-multiverse-1920.jpg

• Aarackocra
  • Assimar
  • Bugbear
  • Centaur
  • Changeling
  • Deep Gnome
  • Duergar
  • Eladrin
  • Fairy
  • Firbolg
  • Genasi, Air
  • Genasi, Earth
  • Genasi, Fire
  • Gennasi, Water
  • Githyanki
  • Githzerai
  • Goblin
  • Goliath
  • Harengon
  • Hobgoblin
  • Kenku
  • Kobold
  • Lizardfolk
  • Minotaur
  • Orc
  • Satyr
  • Sea Elf
  • Shadar Kai
  • Shifter
  • Tabaxi
  • Turtle
  • Triton
  • Yuan-ti

While reprinted, these races have all been updated to the current standard used by WotC for D&D races used in Tasha's Cauldron of Everything, including a free choice of ability score increases (increase one by 2 points and another by 1 point; or increase three by 1 point), and small races not suffering a movement speed penalty.

The video below from Nerd Immersion delves into the races in more detail.

I sincerely doubt it - clearly they're done with PCs having any kind of mechanical drawbacks, even if it's balanced by more power in other aspects. At best, this could be suggested as an idea in the 2024 DMG - but that seems unlikely as well.

I'd like to see the extracted cultural stuff integrated into backgrounds or made into their own mechanic, but since we've seen no such thing tested yet, I'm not placing any bets on that happening. The significantly reduced lore for every new/updated race since the new paradigm took force also suggests that deletion is more likely. But I guess we'll see over the next two years.

it's still over two years till 2024 and PHB2 testing hasn't even started.

Azzy

ᚳᚣᚾᛖᚹᚢᛚᚠ
Come 2024 when the core books are revised, that subset includes nearly everything. It already includes nearly everything except the PH races (or will in a couple weeks).
Ergo, my statement.

Since it's not 2024, though, it remains an option. Once the 50Ae hits (or if they errata the core rules before that), it will become the standard rule (assuming, reasonably, WotC holds to this path). However, it's still 2022.

Faolyn

(she/her)
Why would I accept nonsense? Halflings in my game will remain at the slower speed a humanoid creature with no explicit physiology explaining a difference would move at. If WotC offers up some odd physiology to explain it, I will consider adding it in.
Are you just unwilling to come up with your own physiology?

And did you just ignore that there were lots of Small races with a 30 foot speed already? Why are your halflings slower than goblins or kobolds?

He's working to get under 5 hours and 10 minutes in the IM 70.3 races. The top 10 finishers are under 4 hours. That's a bigger gap in speed than between halflings and humans. It's also endurance running, not sprinting(short distance speed) which is what we are talking about.
Five extra feet per round isn't sprinting.

bedir than

Full Moon Storyteller
This is something I've wanted since the first moment I saw Background in the free rules - even before the PHB came out. I can't see WotC ever doing this. "33 New Races!!!!" is what sells. Not "33 New Backgrounds". I can't see WotC ever doing that, though.

To me, a PC's race isn't nearly as interesting as his Background or Culture. A PC's race is almost never a motivation for anything. "I'm a human" isn't a motivation for anything. "I'm a Dwarf" isn't a motivation for anything.
This is where I'm spending 75% of my development time. The other 25% is on Tools.

Backgrounds have so much to offer.

Remove ads

Remove ads