• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E List of All 33 Races in Mordenkainen's Monsters of the Multiverse

Mordenkainen Presents Monsters of the Multiverse contains 33 races compiled from previous Dungeons & Dragons books. Aarackocra Assimar Bugbear Centaur Changeling Deep Gnome Duergar Eladrin Fairy Firbolg Genasi, Air Genasi, Earth Genasi, Fire Gennasi, Water Githyanki Githzerai Goblin Goliath Harengon Hobgoblin Kenku Kobold Lizardfolk Minotaur Orc Satyr Sea Elf Shadar Kai Shifter Tabaxi...

Mordenkainen Presents Monsters of the Multiverse contains 33 races compiled from previous Dungeons & Dragons books.

greg-rutkowski-monsters-of-the-multiverse-1920.jpg

• Aarackocra
  • Assimar
  • Bugbear
  • Centaur
  • Changeling
  • Deep Gnome
  • Duergar
  • Eladrin
  • Fairy
  • Firbolg
  • Genasi, Air
  • Genasi, Earth
  • Genasi, Fire
  • Gennasi, Water
  • Githyanki
  • Githzerai
  • Goblin
  • Goliath
  • Harengon
  • Hobgoblin
  • Kenku
  • Kobold
  • Lizardfolk
  • Minotaur
  • Orc
  • Satyr
  • Sea Elf
  • Shadar Kai
  • Shifter
  • Tabaxi
  • Turtle
  • Triton
  • Yuan-ti

While reprinted, these races have all been updated to the current standard used by WotC for D&D races used in Tasha's Cauldron of Everything, including a free choice of ability score increases (increase one by 2 points and another by 1 point; or increase three by 1 point), and small races not suffering a movement speed penalty.

The video below from Nerd Immersion delves into the races in more detail.

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
It's not increased speed. It's just their speed. Increased speed would be something like "Increased Speed: When in combat, the halfling's speed increases by 5 feet." Instead, it's just their speed.

You can not like their new speed, if you like. But you're demanding physical explanations for them and not for every other thing that is "weird" in D&D, for some arbitrary reason of verisimilitude.
It has increased. It used to be that halflings moved 25, and now they move 30. By definition, it has increased. Why did they have a 25 in the first place? Because they were short, and it made sense to the designers for them to be a little slower. Why do they have a 30 now? Because the designers decided ease of use and not "punishing" players who want to play a short person was more important. That's all it is. But you cant say they didn't increase their speed.

ART!

Deluxe Unhuman
and I quasytion if children should be Small instead of Medium.

If I play a 12 year old level 1 sorcerer with 9hp that just found out last week he can throw bolts of magic... is that a S human?
If players can decide if their character is medium or small at chargen, that would allow for a lot of age-based size variations. Lots of stories have kid adventurers who are successful in part because they're small, quick, maybe skinny - and can feign innocence more easily than adults!

Last edited:

Parmandur

Book-Friend
I definitely have a different perspective. I don't see Lucky as something that the halfling ever consciously triggers. It's a player metagame ability and the halfling in the game either gets lucky or doesn't. Because of that, I personally can't see the Lucky trait being a reaction cantrip. :)
Mordenkainen's Tome of Foes attributes it to divine action in the favor of Halflings...metagming, metaphysical...

Ixal

Hero
If players can decide if their character is medium or small at chargen, that would allow for a lot of age-based size variations. How many stories have kid adventurers who are successful because they're small, quick, skinny, can feign innocence easily, etc?
Except being small in 5E doesn't give any advantage to those things.

Weiley31

Legend
If players can decide if their character is medium or small at chargen, that would allow for a lot of age-based size variations. How many stories have kid adventurers who are successful because they're small, quick, skinny, can feign innocence easily, etc?
Or get vaporized by a Demi-Lich and blown up by the Archmage's Fireball?

Vael

Legend

In 4e, I played a Halfling Vampire that I reskinned to be a human child Vampire. She was a fun and creepy character to play.

Cadence

Legend
Supporter
This is interesting; is a short human's ability to, say, fit in/through small spaces reflected in any mechanic? No. Should it be? Maybe? You could express it with a good DEX, I suppose.
There is a section in the PhB labeled "Climbing, Swimming, and Crawling"... and it has nothing on crawling. You have to go to the section on being prone to find it... but it doesn't say what besides being prone would make you have to crawl. It does have "Squeezing into a smaller space". A large creature can fit into a (med) 5'x5' space. A medium creature can fit into a (small) 5'x5' space. A small creature can fit into a (tiny) 2.5 x 2.5 ft. space.

Not only are humans in the game worse than real humans at olympic sports, but a bunch of them are worse at squeezing through small spaces too. (Full ADA compliant doorways are only 32" and ADA compliant hallways are only 36"). I can see the disadvantage on many attack rolls in the somewhat narrow passages... but not the cutting movement in half.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
There is a section in the PhB labeled "Climbing, Swimming, and Crawling"... and it has nothing on crawling. You have to go to the section on being prone to find it... but it doesn't say what besides being prone would make you have to crawl. It does have "Squeezing into a smaller space". A large creature can fit into a (med) 5'x5' space. A medium creature can fit into a (small) 5'x5' space. A small creature can fit into a (tiny) 2.5 x 2.5 ft. space.

Not only are humans in the game worse than real humans at olympic sports, but a bunch of them are worse at squeezing through small spaces too. (Full ADA compliant doorways are only 32" and ADA compliant hallways are only 36"). I can see the disadvantage on many attack rolls in the somewhat narrow passages... but not the cutting movement in half.
I've found that everything about dimensions works better if you assume "5 feet" actually means "1 meter," both for rules and maps.

Remove ads

Remove ads