• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E List of All 33 Races in Mordenkainen's Monsters of the Multiverse

Mordenkainen Presents Monsters of the Multiverse contains 33 races compiled from previous Dungeons & Dragons books. Aarackocra Assimar Bugbear Centaur Changeling Deep Gnome Duergar Eladrin Fairy Firbolg Genasi, Air Genasi, Earth Genasi, Fire Gennasi, Water Githyanki Githzerai Goblin Goliath Harengon Hobgoblin Kenku Kobold Lizardfolk Minotaur Orc Satyr Sea Elf Shadar Kai Shifter Tabaxi...

Mordenkainen Presents Monsters of the Multiverse contains 33 races compiled from previous Dungeons & Dragons books.

greg-rutkowski-monsters-of-the-multiverse-1920.jpg

• Aarackocra
  • Assimar
  • Bugbear
  • Centaur
  • Changeling
  • Deep Gnome
  • Duergar
  • Eladrin
  • Fairy
  • Firbolg
  • Genasi, Air
  • Genasi, Earth
  • Genasi, Fire
  • Gennasi, Water
  • Githyanki
  • Githzerai
  • Goblin
  • Goliath
  • Harengon
  • Hobgoblin
  • Kenku
  • Kobold
  • Lizardfolk
  • Minotaur
  • Orc
  • Satyr
  • Sea Elf
  • Shadar Kai
  • Shifter
  • Tabaxi
  • Turtle
  • Triton
  • Yuan-ti

While reprinted, these races have all been updated to the current standard used by WotC for D&D races used in Tasha's Cauldron of Everything, including a free choice of ability score increases (increase one by 2 points and another by 1 point; or increase three by 1 point), and small races not suffering a movement speed penalty.

The video below from Nerd Immersion delves into the races in more detail.

Weiley31

Legend
Hexblood, actually, in the recent Ravenloft book.

Changelings are powered down Dopplegangers who are not (necessarily) amoral sociopaths, and a true breeding species.

The 5E treatment has seemed to blur the distinction between Changeligns and Dopplegangers even further than 3.x or 4E, actually.
Add-in the Doppleganger Hidden Secret from Rime of the Frostmaiden and your Changeling/Doppleganger gets even more Dopple-Blurred.

Faolyn

(she/her)
It's increased speed that every other humanoid race can come up with as well.
It's not increased speed. It's just their speed. Increased speed would be something like "Increased Speed: When in combat, the halfling's speed increases by 5 feet." Instead, it's just their speed.

You can not like their new speed, if you like. But you're demanding physical explanations for them and not for every other thing that is "weird" in D&D, for some arbitrary reason of verisimilitude.

ART!

Deluxe Unhuman
Isn't that what halflings do right now with "naturally stealthy" and "halfling nimbleness"?

When flying comes up, a lot of people mention low ceilings and the like to not let it always dominate. Would small passages and tunnels make being taller not always dominate?

But, I was being serious in my question too. What does a human get for playing someone short right now to balance the negatives? Would merging S and M remove needing to wonder?
This is interesting; is a short human's ability to, say, fit in/through small spaces reflected in any mechanic? No. Should it be? Maybe? You could express it with a good DEX, I suppose.

HammerMan

Legend
I don't see a point. It's not like 25 feet is bad and halflings make up for it with one of the most powerful racial features. Luck.

I slow them down, too.

It's increased speed that every other humanoid race can come up with as well.
if it makes sense to you that some halflings can have 50+ft movement why does all halflings starting at 30 break it for you?

HammerMan

Legend
This is interesting; is a short human's ability to, say, fit in/through small spaces reflected in any mechanic? No. Should it be? Maybe? You could express it with a good DEX, I suppose.
and I quasytion if children should be Small instead of Medium.

If I play a 12 year old level 1 sorcerer with 9hp that just found out last week he can throw bolts of magic... is that a S human?

dave2008

Legend
Yeah, given 5e's popularity, they're really trying to make people believe that this isnt a new edition coming, but for all intents and purposes (other than optics) it is.
Interesting, from everything I've seen I feel that it is going to be so minor that it is not worth getting (possibly). I guess we will know in about 2 years, but I do wonder what your basing your opinions on? From what they have told us so far it seems like it will basically be MMoM but extrapolated to the core 3 books.

Additionally, the are coming out with a bunch of settings in the 2 years before we get the revised core books. It would seem odd to release a new edition right after they do that (at least to me).

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
Heh... well, that's when we get into a whole other kettle of bees, when we start examining game features and where and whether they being assigned as certain "types" by the books actually matter in the grand scheme of things. I mean... can't we just see the halfling Lucky trait as merely a "Reaction cantrip" except for the fact the game doesn't call it a "spell" and that in theory could be used more than once a turn? Is there really a difference between Lucky as a feature and Lucky as a cantrip? Me? I certainly say 'no'-- the differences mechanically are so inconsequential that the only reason I'd ever distinguish the two is via the narrative, the "roleplaying" part. If I felt it was important to distinguish Lucky as a natural inclination of the halfling character and not a magical effect the halfling could accomplish... for me that would entirely come out of the roleplaying part. But in actuality... I never even bother with that either. I've never concerned myself about making sure to indicate that this thing I'm doing is because its a natural feature or it's magic or it's a spell or whatnot.
I definitely have a different perspective. I don't see Lucky as something that the halfling ever consciously triggers. It's a player metagame ability and the halfling in the game either gets lucky or doesn't. Because of that, I personally can't see the Lucky trait being a reaction cantrip. :)

Carlsen Chris

Explorer
Yet more legacies of the game being destroyed. Let's give everyone goodies, no drawbacks/penalties/etc. despite it making perfect sense (please explain how a halfling has the same stride as a human...? Or why eyes adjust perfectly fine despite being a pure underground race?)

Everything the same as the rest.

So exactly what makes anything distinct in D&D anymore? It's all cardboard copies of each other now.

Jeez this game is falling apart. And the rookies who don't know better eat it up cause cash is all the company cares about.

Missing the TSR days more and more
Just keep doing what you're doing and ignore what everyone else is doing. Nobody including you gets to decide what is better, who knows better, whether the game is falling apart or not, or anything else.

Remove ads

Remove ads