D&D 5E List of All 33 Races in Mordenkainen's Monsters of the Multiverse

Mordenkainen Presents Monsters of the Multiverse contains 33 races compiled from previous Dungeons & Dragons books. Aarackocra Assimar Bugbear Centaur Changeling Deep Gnome Duergar Eladrin Fairy Firbolg Genasi, Air Genasi, Earth Genasi, Fire Gennasi, Water Githyanki Githzerai Goblin Goliath Harengon Hobgoblin Kenku Kobold Lizardfolk Minotaur Orc Satyr Sea Elf Shadar Kai Shifter Tabaxi...

Mordenkainen Presents Monsters of the Multiverse contains 33 races compiled from previous Dungeons & Dragons books.

greg-rutkowski-monsters-of-the-multiverse-1920.jpg

• Aarackocra
  • Assimar
  • Bugbear
  • Centaur
  • Changeling
  • Deep Gnome
  • Duergar
  • Eladrin
  • Fairy
  • Firbolg
  • Genasi, Air
  • Genasi, Earth
  • Genasi, Fire
  • Gennasi, Water
  • Githyanki
  • Githzerai
  • Goblin
  • Goliath
  • Harengon
  • Hobgoblin
  • Kenku
  • Kobold
  • Lizardfolk
  • Minotaur
  • Orc
  • Satyr
  • Sea Elf
  • Shadar Kai
  • Shifter
  • Tabaxi
  • Turtle
  • Triton
  • Yuan-ti

While reprinted, these races have all been updated to the current standard used by WotC for D&D races used in Tasha's Cauldron of Everything, including a free choice of ability score increases (increase one by 2 points and another by 1 point; or increase three by 1 point), and small races not suffering a movement speed penalty.

The video below from Nerd Immersion delves into the races in more detail.

For halflings in particular, I think the problem for me is I'm picturing them kind of like in the hobbit, where they are distinctly not portrayed as being as strong or fast as the adult humans, and not wielding the human sized long weapons. (A picture I didn't have in my head for goblins or kobolds).

I just need to think of them as having the strength of a 75% tall chimpanzees. Which is fine, it's just a change.
That's fair. The Halflings = Hobbits mindset is pretty ingrained in the hobby and its not like the racial description does much to dispell that. And Hobbits are kind of explicitly just smaller, weaker humans.

So I do get where the attitude comes from. It just broadly doesn't actually mirror halflings' (or the other small races') physical capabilities as outlined in the rules at this point. To your point, a chimp is a much better comp.

There is certainly a conversation that could be had regarding whether halflings being physically less hobbitlike is desirable.

I happen to like these slightlyterrifyingwhenyouthinkaboutit smallfolk roaming around, and I wish there was more content out there that showcased how different (and terrifying) small races with these physical traits could be.

I dont think I'd be mad about a more bog-standard Hobbit halfling, but it'd probably be either kind of a pain to balance and layer into the rules or explicitly a mechanically weaker race.

Actually you could easily give halflings -4 to strength and it wouldn't be a huge deal. As we known, in 5e dex is a god stat, and can double for melee stat for most classes.
I mean..that is explicitly mechanically weaker.

I agree that it's not insurmountable from a build perspective. It would limit your effective options in a way that is not symmetrical with any other race though. Is having no (or just kinda bad) halfling Paladins or Barbarians worth having them be more Hobbitlike?

Not for me but ymmv I suppose.

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast

I agree that it's not insurmountable from a build perspective. It would limit your effective options in a way that is not symmetrical with any other race though. Is having no (or just kinda bad) halfling Paladins or Barbarians worth having them be more Hobbitlike?

That leads to a bigger question: should every race be equally good at every class? Not just capable, but equally effective? I've never thought so, and historically they haven't been, but it sure seems like that's what people want now, and WotC is catering to that desire. Small wonder then that the aesthetics of race are eclipsing the mechanics.

Like I said in the species mechanics thread, to me the main purpose of rules for species is to emulate what the species actually is like. So if they're physically weaker, then so be it. (Also paladins can use finesse weapons just fine. Barbarians can't but I consider that to be flaw in the class.) But if I actually gave them such penalty, I'd of course give them something to compensate. Like (off the top of my head) +1 to AC due being hard to hit due being so small.

Last edited:

That leads to a bigger question: should every race be equally good at every class? Not just capable, but equally effective? I've never thought so, and historically they haven't been, but it sure seems like that's what people want now, and WotC is catering to that desire. Small wonder then that the aesthetics of race are eclipsing the mechanics.
I don't think it is a big deal if all species are not equally good for every class. But then again, I also feel that classes should be built to support many ways to be good in them. Like I don't want great axe wielding halfling barbarians that are as strong as half-orcs, but I'd like if the rules allowed building an effective little dervish halfling barbarian that slices foes with her short swords.

Equal maybe not, but I don't see a lot of benefit for a races' characteristics being a pure debuff for a selected class (as a -4 in a class's primary attribute would be).

I'd rather they were "differently effective" within some range of normal effectiveness.

Levistus's_Leviathan

5e Freelancer
No, there is no point anymore. And as species no longer have different heights and weights halflings can be six feet tall. 🤷

I really don’t like this. I want the size to matter more, not less.
Not for much longer. ;)
Can we stop with this extreme hyperbole and mischaracterization, please? It's super annoying, and it's not at all accurate. I knew this would happen when they introduced the Gothic Lineages and began allowing them and a few other races choose whether they want to be Small or Medium, but I had hoped that people would actually react to it in good faith and not just be reactionaries getting outraged over nothing.

Small races are still small. Goblins, Kobolds, and Fairies in this book are still listed as being Small, and don't have the "Small or Medium" choice that a few other newer/updated races and lineages get to choose from (Owlin, Tabaxi, Harengon, et cetera). Goblins and Kobolds are still always the Small size. The same will apply to Gnomes and Halflings in the 2024 PHB.

Small races are still Small. Can we please stop with these ridiculous lies? You're trying to do reductio ad absurdum, but are failing in a manner that results in you committing strawmen fallacies.

I understand if you don't like these changes. I sincerely do, and I'm not fond of a few of them. But you have to at least be honest when complaining and not just make up BS like this.

Last edited:

Remove ads

Remove ads