D&D 5E List of All 33 Races in Mordenkainen's Monsters of the Multiverse

Mordenkainen Presents Monsters of the Multiverse contains 33 races compiled from previous Dungeons & Dragons books. Aarackocra Assimar Bugbear Centaur Changeling Deep Gnome Duergar Eladrin Fairy Firbolg Genasi, Air Genasi, Earth Genasi, Fire Gennasi, Water Githyanki Githzerai Goblin Goliath Harengon Hobgoblin Kenku Kobold Lizardfolk Minotaur Orc Satyr Sea Elf Shadar Kai Shifter Tabaxi...

Mordenkainen Presents Monsters of the Multiverse contains 33 races compiled from previous Dungeons & Dragons books.

greg-rutkowski-monsters-of-the-multiverse-1920.jpg

• Aarackocra
  • Assimar
  • Bugbear
  • Centaur
  • Changeling
  • Deep Gnome
  • Duergar
  • Eladrin
  • Fairy
  • Firbolg
  • Genasi, Air
  • Genasi, Earth
  • Genasi, Fire
  • Gennasi, Water
  • Githyanki
  • Githzerai
  • Goblin
  • Goliath
  • Harengon
  • Hobgoblin
  • Kenku
  • Kobold
  • Lizardfolk
  • Minotaur
  • Orc
  • Satyr
  • Sea Elf
  • Shadar Kai
  • Shifter
  • Tabaxi
  • Turtle
  • Triton
  • Yuan-ti

While reprinted, these races have all been updated to the current standard used by WotC for D&D races used in Tasha's Cauldron of Everything, including a free choice of ability score increases (increase one by 2 points and another by 1 point; or increase three by 1 point), and small races not suffering a movement speed penalty.

The video below from Nerd Immersion delves into the races in more detail.

I think the criticism is that it removes on of the already very few differentiating element. I don't want to speak for others, but I'd bet that most people in the slow halfling camp would like to have them be a little less strong than humans, if speaking such idea aloud was still possible in civilized company.

Races size are already not emphasized, to the point players can forget about it easily: one of the human characters at my table tried to hit on a halfling NPC. He was reminded that the halfling was "approximately the size of a 3 years old..." The player was... suddenly ill-at-ease ;-)
Enhh. I guess I see it from the opposite perspective, that having these characteristics despite the size difference is a differentiating factor for the flavor of the race. They are the size of a human toddler but they are as capable as a human adult.

Tbh, I don't really care too much either way what speed gets used, I think there is equal 'logical' support for both.

I think the disconnect comes because folks just assume small creatures are just "little humans with funny ears." So they 'should' be slower and weaker. But there's no real need for that to be the case.

Cadence

Legend
Supporter
Enhh. I guess I see it from the opposite perspective, that having these characteristics despite the size difference is a differentiating factor for the flavor of the race. They are the size of a human toddler but they are as capable as a human adult.

Tbh, I don't really care too much either way what speed gets used, I think there is equal 'logical' support for both.

I think the disconnect comes because folks just assume small creatures are just "little humans with funny ears." So they 'should' be slower and weaker. But there's no real need for that to be the case.

For halflings in particular, I think the problem for me is I'm picturing them kind of like in The Hobbit/LotR, where they are distinctly not portrayed as being as strong or fast as the adult humans, and not wielding the human sized long weapons. (A picture I didn't have in my head for goblins or kobolds).

I just need to think of them as having the strength of a 75% tall chimpanzees. Which is fine, it's just a change.

(Edit: As @Crimson Longinus points out in #784, they'd be much stronger than the chimp of that size. I correct in post #788 below).

Last edited:

For halflings in particular, I think the problem for me is I'm picturing them kind of like in The Hobbit/LotR, where they are distinctly not portrayed as being as strong or fast as the adult humans, and not wielding the human sized long weapons. (A picture I didn't have in my head for goblins or kobolds).

I just need to think of them as having the strength of a 75% tall chimpanzees. Which is fine, it's just a change.
It just is that to a lot of people halflings being small and weak is kinda part of the appeal. They're people who cannot just solve issues with brute force. Miniature supermen is a fine fantasy concept, but it is drastically different concept.

(Also, chimps are pound for pound only about 1.5 times as strong as halflings, so a halfling sized chimp (like a small bonobo) would still be way weaker than an adult human.)

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast

You would think, "ludicrously strong for their size" would be worth mentioning in the race write-up then, but I don't recall ever seeing that in any halfling description.

Cadence

Legend
Supporter
(Also, chimps are pound for pound only about 1.5 times as strong as halflings, so a halfling sized chimp (like a small bonobo) would still be way weaker than an adult human.)
You would think, "ludicrously strong for their size" would be worth mentioning in the race write-up then, but I don't recall ever seeing that in any halfling description.

Average halfling is 40 pounds. Average adult is between 130 and 180 pounds depending on continent. A halfling with a chimp-like 1.5/pound multiplier would be as strong as a 60 pound person, and would need over a 3 multiplier/pound to get to average human strength.

Which again, is fine. And we're not playing "LotR", we're playing D&D. It's just a mental change I need to make. And it might be nice to call it out and show a halfling arm-wrestling a person and holding their own in a picture to emphasize it.

Which also makes sense as Hags are Fey too. And in Pathfinder and DND, Changelings are the children of Hags and can suffer a potential bad ending fate of becoming a Hag too if everything goes according to the Parent Hag's plans.

In D&D Changeling are the children of Doppelgangers, not Hags, whose children were traditional known as Hagspawn.

Remove ads

Remove ads