D&D 5E List of All 33 Races in Mordenkainen's Monsters of the Multiverse

Mordenkainen Presents Monsters of the Multiverse contains 33 races compiled from previous Dungeons & Dragons books. Aarackocra Assimar Bugbear Centaur Changeling Deep Gnome Duergar Eladrin Fairy Firbolg Genasi, Air Genasi, Earth Genasi, Fire Gennasi, Water Githyanki Githzerai Goblin Goliath Harengon Hobgoblin Kenku Kobold Lizardfolk Minotaur Orc Satyr Sea Elf Shadar Kai Shifter Tabaxi...

Mordenkainen Presents Monsters of the Multiverse contains 33 races compiled from previous Dungeons & Dragons books.

greg-rutkowski-monsters-of-the-multiverse-1920.jpg

• Aarackocra
  • Assimar
  • Bugbear
  • Centaur
  • Changeling
  • Deep Gnome
  • Duergar
  • Eladrin
  • Fairy
  • Firbolg
  • Genasi, Air
  • Genasi, Earth
  • Genasi, Fire
  • Gennasi, Water
  • Githyanki
  • Githzerai
  • Goblin
  • Goliath
  • Harengon
  • Hobgoblin
  • Kenku
  • Kobold
  • Lizardfolk
  • Minotaur
  • Orc
  • Satyr
  • Sea Elf
  • Shadar Kai
  • Shifter
  • Tabaxi
  • Turtle
  • Triton
  • Yuan-ti

While reprinted, these races have all been updated to the current standard used by WotC for D&D races used in Tasha's Cauldron of Everything, including a free choice of ability score increases (increase one by 2 points and another by 1 point; or increase three by 1 point), and small races not suffering a movement speed penalty.

The video below from Nerd Immersion delves into the races in more detail.

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
The thing is, you're not playing "a race." You're playing an individual of a race. It may very well be that elves don't make good barbarians and halflings don't make good wizards (or whatever). But that doesn't, and shouldn't, mean that your PC is mechanically limited. It also doesn't, and shouldn't, mean that I as a DM can't decide that in this world, elves are a barbaric people and halflings are accomplished magic-users.
If your race has no effect on your effectiveness at any given profession, what does it do for you? Physical appearance and one or two tricks?

JEB

Legend
Are they actually giving players nothing to work with, or is that just more tired, unhelpful hyperbole?
Based on what we've seen so far for character races under the new paradigm (Witchlight, Strixhaven, the last UA), they're giving players significantly less to work with, with much more focus on physical traits or a single core stereotype. In a few cases, they really are giving players nothing, except biological details.

From the leaks for this book, the lore sections look similarly brief and thin on character suggestions, but I guess we'll see how it turns out.

I'm loving the races, except for what they did for the over nerfing of Aasimar. Genasi, Orcs, Hobgoblins, and Kenku were the some of the worst races in the game and now they are absolutely among the coolest. Changeling becoming Fey is weird, like I get the mythological connection, but in two settings (Forgotten Realms and Eberron) they are related to Doppelgangers, who are monsterousities not fey, as well as humaniods, so how that mix produces Fey I don't know. I have a feeling that making Changelings Fey, and giving Gobliniods Fey Ancestory, and the fact that this playable breed of fey Centaurs look more like Elves then humans suggests to me that this is all building towards a Domains of Delight setting book.

I have noticed races getting skills is far from dead and even racial penalties still exist (the Centaurs still can't climb for naughty word.)

I noticed that Tabaxi can now look like any kind of Cat, like Tigers for example, but where does that leave Leonine?

speaking of Leonine where do we get updates to MtG exclusive races?

I was disappointed that Loxo/Loxodons didn't get an update given that they basically do exist in D&D.

The only race I'm unhappy with is Aasimar, I get nerfing them, they've been the most powerful race since VGTG monsters with only Satyrs and Yuan Ti proving competition, by level 20 being about deal about 180 to 200 radiant or necrotic damage over minute once a day at level 20 (along with healing 20 damage, two resistances, and more) and no down side except Scrouge's self damage, and more. But they drop the damage down to 60 damage over a minute once a day and now instead of healing level damage it's 1D4xprofiency Once per day. That healing is better at lowee levels (admittedly when you need it the most), but by level 20 it can be swingy, from 6-24 healed.

Plus missed opportunies, Guidiance fit Aasimar 5e Lore better then Light (plus what does a race with Darkvision need Light spell for, its ironic Aasimar produce light they don't need). Its almost a ribbon ability if you don't have any none Darkvision races in the party. Even Sacred Lance would have been a better fit.

Are Aasimar a weak race now?

Based on what we've seen so far for character races under the new paradigm (Witchlight, Strixhaven, the last UA), they're giving players significantly less to work with, with much more focus on physical traits or a single core stereotype. In a few cases, they really are giving players nothing, except biological details.

From the leaks for this book, the lore sections look similarly brief and thin on character suggestions, but I guess we'll see how it turns out.

Every race has a bunch of traits. All of the races have way more flavorful abilities, better abilities, and more of them.

Look at the Genasi Races and Kenku for example.

And I would say they've removed cultural elements, but left not just physical, but also spiritual elements.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
That's fair. The Halflings = Hobbits mindset is pretty ingrained in the hobby and its not like the racial description does much to dispell that. And Hobbits are kind of explicitly just smaller, weaker humans.

So I do get where the attitude comes from. It just broadly doesn't actually mirror halflings' (or the other small races') physical capabilities as outlined in the rules at this point. To your point, a chimp is a much better comp.

There is certainly a conversation that could be had regarding whether halflings being physically less hobbitlike is desirable.

I happen to like these slightlyterrifyingwhenyouthinkaboutit smallfolk roaming around, and I wish there was more content out there that showcased how different (and terrifying) small races with these physical traits could be.
I’m playing a rather strong (16) halfling rogue with expertise in athletics, and it’s fun to have this 4ft tall (we use 4e sizes) guy that doesn’t even look jacked take down big folk.
I dont think I'd be mad about a more bog-standard Hobbit halfling, but it'd probably be either kind of a pain to balance and layer into the rules or explicitly a mechanically weaker race.
They’d need a passive stealth with a decent bonus or soemthing like that, and some bonus against psychic damage or maybe saves vs mental attacks or soemthing to represent how surprisingly durable they are.
If you believe some folks, its even worse than not having fun.

You are a bad person for even thinking its an appropriate way to differentiate the races.
Feel free to quote anyone saying any such thing.
Lol I hated that part of the movie so much. Poor Gimli. They really did him dirty in Two Towers and Return Of The King.
Ultimately, though, every race in 5e is a freaking turtle. When I was in Jr. High I was timed at 100 yards in 10 second flat on grass in normal tennis shoes(so not even close to my top speed). That's 60 yards or 180 feet in 6 seconds. Three times faster than speed 30 and a dash of 30. I find it really annoying how slow creatures in combat are. :p
I disagree with most of your arguments on this subject, but on this I gotta say hell yeah. I just treat a creature’s speed as what they can do without any special effort or disregard of their surroundings. If some sprints, it’s an ability check to multiply their base speed.

Im considering bringing charging back too.
Serious question.

Since small and medium creatures take up the same space, have the same movement rate, there exists creature types that allow S or M, and there are humans IRL that would be small on the current D&D scale... why do we even have them separate? Is it really worth penalizing the S for using large weapons or letting the S slip by a L creature but not letting an M do the same?
Small creatures should have easier time hiding in most terrain (can I hide in the tall grass? Well it’s barely shorter than you already so sure go ahead and roll. Etc), but do justify penalties, for me, would require bringing back a bonus to hide and to AC against large or larger creatures.

Levistus's_Leviathan

5e Freelancer
If your race has no effect on your effectiveness at any given profession, what does it do for you? Physical appearance and one or two tricks?
A Loxodon's Trunk ability doesn't make them better at any specific class. A Genasi's elemental resistance doesn't make them better at any specific class. The same applies to a Kalashtar's Telepathy, Changeling's Shapechange, Half-Orc's Relentless Endurance, Halfling Luck, Darkvision, breathing underwater, different movement speeds, and so on.

They're just generally useful. They don't have to make you be a better rogue than barbarian to be a useful feature, it just has to be useful.

JEB

Legend
Every race has a bunch of traits. All of the races have way more flavorful abilities, better abilities, and more of them.

Look at the Genasi Races and Kenku for example.

And I would say they've removed cultural elements, but left not just physical, but also spiritual elements.
What kept them from adding more and more flavorful abilities, and also providing nuanced ideas for how to role-play members of that species? There's no reason it had to be a trade-off, and it's a missed opportunity to provide multiple cultures instead of reinforcing monocultures.

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him)
A Loxodon's Trunk ability doesn't make them better at any specific class. A Genasi's elemental resistance doesn't make them better at any specific class. The same applies to a Kalashtar's Telepathy, Changeling's Shapechange, Half-Orc's Relentless Endurance, Halfling Luck, Darkvision, breathing underwater, different movement speeds, and so on.

They're just generally useful. They don't have to make you be a better rogue than barbarian to be a useful feature, it just has to be useful.
That’s pretty cherry-picky considering the other traits they all have. Sure, they’ll all have some abilities that are class agnostic. But some traits are going to synergize with some classes more than others. This isn’t a bad thing, not does it force you into/away from classes.

That’s pretty cherry-picky considering the other traits they all have. Sure, they’ll all have some abilities that are class agnostic. But some traits are going to synergize with some classes more than others. This isn’t a bad thing, not does it force you into/away from classes.
It's 10 racial features. I'm not sure what the cutoff is when it stops being cherry-picking but 10 seems awfully high.

And it's not like that's all. Racial cantrips, halflings' bravery, gnomes spell resistance, extra hp, poison resistance, sleep resistance. Hell most armor and weapon proficiencies tend to make your abilities broader rather than create synergies with a particular class (this includes all the various natural armors and weapons).

Honestly, I think it's fair to say that, outside of ability scores, most of the existing racial features don't really push you toward one class or another.

Off the top of my head, there are a few races with some stealth/skirmishing attack bonuses, and then some stuff like the half-orcs' savage attacks, but not a ton of direct class synergy beyond that.

Last edited:

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
I disagree with most of your arguments on this subject, but on this I gotta say hell yeah. I just treat a creature’s speed as what they can do without any special effort or disregard of their surroundings. If some sprints, it’s an ability check to multiply their base speed.

Im considering bringing charging back too.
I've been debating bringing it back as well.

Remove ads

Remove ads