D&D 5E List of All 33 Races in Mordenkainen's Monsters of the Multiverse

Mordenkainen Presents Monsters of the Multiverse contains 33 races compiled from previous Dungeons & Dragons books. Aarackocra Assimar Bugbear Centaur Changeling Deep Gnome Duergar Eladrin Fairy Firbolg Genasi, Air Genasi, Earth Genasi, Fire Gennasi, Water Githyanki Githzerai Goblin Goliath Harengon Hobgoblin Kenku Kobold Lizardfolk Minotaur Orc Satyr Sea Elf Shadar Kai Shifter Tabaxi...

Mordenkainen Presents Monsters of the Multiverse contains 33 races compiled from previous Dungeons & Dragons books.

greg-rutkowski-monsters-of-the-multiverse-1920.jpg

• Aarackocra
  • Assimar
  • Bugbear
  • Centaur
  • Changeling
  • Deep Gnome
  • Duergar
  • Eladrin
  • Fairy
  • Firbolg
  • Genasi, Air
  • Genasi, Earth
  • Genasi, Fire
  • Gennasi, Water
  • Githyanki
  • Githzerai
  • Goblin
  • Goliath
  • Harengon
  • Hobgoblin
  • Kenku
  • Kobold
  • Lizardfolk
  • Minotaur
  • Orc
  • Satyr
  • Sea Elf
  • Shadar Kai
  • Shifter
  • Tabaxi
  • Turtle
  • Triton
  • Yuan-ti

While reprinted, these races have all been updated to the current standard used by WotC for D&D races used in Tasha's Cauldron of Everything, including a free choice of ability score increases (increase one by 2 points and another by 1 point; or increase three by 1 point), and small races not suffering a movement speed penalty.

The video below from Nerd Immersion delves into the races in more detail.

Scribe

Legend
Feel free to quote anyone saying any such thing.
Nah, I couldnt be bothered to go into the (many) locked threads where people have be called racists and misogynists' by people now banned, because they dont have a problem with negative modifiers, or dont believe Halflings should be able to get that sweet +2 to Str at creation.

It shouldnt take you long if you really are interested.

Levistus's_Leviathan

5e Freelancer
Nah, I couldnt be bothered to go into the (many) locked threads where people have be called racists and misogynists' by people now banned, because they dont have a problem with negative modifiers, or dont believe Halflings should be able to get that sweet +2 to Str at creation.

The burden of proof is on you for claiming that people were saying that, not on @doctorbadwolf.

Azzy

ᚳᚣᚾᛖᚹᚢᛚᚠ
Based on what we've seen so far for character races under the new paradigm (Witchlight, Strixhaven, the last UA), they're giving players significantly less to work with, with much more focus on physical traits or a single core stereotype. In a few cases, they really are giving players nothing, except biological details.

From the leaks for this book, the lore sections look similarly brief and thin on character suggestions, but I guess we'll see how it turns out.
Thanks, I was right about the unhelpful hyperbole. I'm willing to bet that that the 50Ae PHB will provide brief multiple examples of culture for each race instead of having the races exist as monocultures by default. Settings will likely take up the heavy lifting when it comes to giving races cultures (they pretty much have already—compare the various elven cultures of Eberron to those of Wildemount or the Forgotten Realms), which is how it ought to be.

Levistus's_Leviathan

5e Freelancer
That’s pretty cherry-picky considering the other traits they all have. Sure, they’ll all have some abilities that are class agnostic. But some traits are going to synergize with some classes more than others. This isn’t a bad thing, not does it force you into/away from classes.
"Cherry-picky"? I listed 9 racial features, and some fairly common ones, too. However, if you really feel the need for me to go through all of the races and find their features that don't benefit one class over another, fine (I'm excluding subclasses, because there are a ton of those, and only 13 classes).

My list of features that are about equally useful for anyone that takes the race:
  1. Dragonborn Breath Weapons
  2. Damage Reduction (Resistance/Immunity, Stone's Endurance, etc)
  3. Naturally resistant to certain spells (Magic Resistance, Gnomish Cunning, Severed from Dreams, etc)
  4. Condition resisting/immunity
  5. Saving throw bonuses (advantage, extra dice, rerolls, etc)
  6. Ability check bonuses (proficiency, expertise, extra dice, advantage, etc)
  7. Increased speed above 30 ft.
  8. Increased Jumps (Grung, Satyr, Harengon)
  9. Additional movement speeds (flying, burrowing, swimming, climbing)
  10. Ignoring certain movement restrictions (Spiderclimb, ignoring difficult terrain, gliding, fall damage immunity, etc)
  11. Amphibious
  12. Less dependency on normal necessities (eating, drinking, sleeping, breathing, etc)
  13. Additional vision types (darkvision, blindsight, tremorsense, truesight)
  14. Innate Spellcasting
  15. Ignoring equipment restrictions (heavy armor doesn't reduce Stealth capabilities, can sleep/spellcast in armor, can dual wield heavier weapons, etc)
  16. Increased hit point maximum (including Temporary Hit Points)
  17. Shorter rests (Warforged, Reborn, Elves, Autognomes, Thri-Kreen, etc)
  18. Teleportation (Eladrin, Shadar-Kai)
  19. Communication with non-sentient/intelligent creatures (beasts, elementals, plants, etc)
  20. Equipment creation (Rock Gnome's Tinker, Lizardfolk's Cunning Artisan, etc)
  21. Halfling's Luck
  22. Ignoring movement restrictions (Heavy Armor reducing speed, Halfling Nimbleness, etc)
  23. Relentless Endurance
  24. Generic Attack Bonuses (advantage, proficiency, extra dice, etc)
  25. Generic Damage bonuses (extra damage, increased critical hit damage, etc)
  26. Using a specific action as a bonus action (limited attacks, dash, disengage, hide, etc)
  27. Natural Weapons (bite, claw, horns, hooves, tail, etc)
  28. Leonin Roar
  29. Different creature type (fey, construct, undead, beast, etc)
  30. Increased carry weight
  31. Bodily Transformations (Shifting, Aasimar transformations, etc)
  32. Long-Limbed
  33. Limited Invisibility
  34. Mimicry
  35. Grovel, Cower, and Beg
  36. Minor healing features (Healing Hands, Hungry Jaws, etc)
  37. Armor Class increase (Natural Armor, Warforged Integrated Protection, Shell's Defense, etc)
  38. Shapechanger
  39. Telepathy
  40. Proficiency retraining (Astral Mind)
  41. Increased Limbs (Thri-Kreen, Loxodons, Simic Hybrids, etc)
  42. Poisonous Skin
Is that enough? 42 types of racial abilities that don't benefit any specific class over any other? Is that still "cherry picking"?

P.S. Those are just the official types of racial abilities that can benefit every class equally. Once we get into homebrew or feats, it's a whole other story. Abilities don't have to favor one class over any other in order to still be useful. I think that's been pretty well proven now.

Last edited:

overgeeked

B/X Known World
Depends on what you consider making short suck. Lacking an ASI to strength, having 5 feet shorter of movement, and being unable to use heavy weapons don't really make short suck. Halflings, as written in 5e, definitely don't suck despite those things.
But...but...they aren't the arbitrarily decided mathematically proven bestest of the bestest of the bestest race in the entire game, therefore, logically, they suck.

Leonin weren't updated so far, but even so, their ability was the roar rather than the tabaxi's climbing and dash. So they've still got their own thing going

I was talking more flavour wise, Tabaxi were like the smaller big cats and Leonine the bigger big cats, but now Tabaxi are bigger big cats, smaller big cats, and small cats like house cats including hairless. Basically everything short of anime style of catgirls.

What kept them from adding more and more flavorful abilities, and also providing nuanced ideas for how to role-play members of that species? There's no reason it had to be a trade-off, and it's a missed opportunity to provide multiple cultures instead of reinforcing monocultures.

I'm guessing space in the book didn't give them the room to explore the different kinds of cultures each of the races can have have, it seems that they are leaving that to setting books.

Cadence

Legend
Supporter
Feel free to quote anyone saying any such thing.

The burden of proof is on you for claiming that people were saying that, not on @doctorbadwolf.

The post below says using ASIs is "racist essentialism". Is that close enough? I wouldn't be surprised if there are posts in that or similar threads where someone defending them is personally being implied or said to be a racist after a back and forth that may have pulled in other things. I'm not going back through some of the threads to find them (googling ASI essentialism enworld would give a start). I'm not sure it's worth working that hard to get this thread locked.

Last edited:

Remathilis

Legend
I was talking more flavour wise, Tabaxi were like the smaller big cats and Leonine the bigger big cats, but now Tabaxi are bigger big cats, smaller big cats, and small cats like house cats including hairless. Basically everything short of anime style of catgirls.
Easy. Leonin are the MTG setting cat race, Tabaxi are the D&D setting cat race.

Remove ads

Remove ads