D&D 5E List of All 33 Races in Mordenkainen's Monsters of the Multiverse

Mordenkainen Presents Monsters of the Multiverse contains 33 races compiled from previous Dungeons & Dragons books. Aarackocra Assimar Bugbear Centaur Changeling Deep Gnome Duergar Eladrin Fairy Firbolg Genasi, Air Genasi, Earth Genasi, Fire Gennasi, Water Githyanki Githzerai Goblin Goliath Harengon Hobgoblin Kenku Kobold Lizardfolk Minotaur Orc Satyr Sea Elf Shadar Kai Shifter Tabaxi...

Mordenkainen Presents Monsters of the Multiverse contains 33 races compiled from previous Dungeons & Dragons books.

greg-rutkowski-monsters-of-the-multiverse-1920.jpg

• Aarackocra
  • Assimar
  • Bugbear
  • Centaur
  • Changeling
  • Deep Gnome
  • Duergar
  • Eladrin
  • Fairy
  • Firbolg
  • Genasi, Air
  • Genasi, Earth
  • Genasi, Fire
  • Gennasi, Water
  • Githyanki
  • Githzerai
  • Goblin
  • Goliath
  • Harengon
  • Hobgoblin
  • Kenku
  • Kobold
  • Lizardfolk
  • Minotaur
  • Orc
  • Satyr
  • Sea Elf
  • Shadar Kai
  • Shifter
  • Tabaxi
  • Turtle
  • Triton
  • Yuan-ti

While reprinted, these races have all been updated to the current standard used by WotC for D&D races used in Tasha's Cauldron of Everything, including a free choice of ability score increases (increase one by 2 points and another by 1 point; or increase three by 1 point), and small races not suffering a movement speed penalty.

The video below from Nerd Immersion delves into the races in more detail.

yeah that too...

I mean by D&D standard a 20str 20dex 20con trained in athletics 17 year old fighter moves 30 and so does a 11str 9dex 12con 80 year old wizard
It easy to calculate some base speed (regarding all defenses) from str, dex and con. Could be in the same section as jump.
And athletics checks might allow you to sprint.
That is how I rule it anyway.

Weiley31

Legend
I do like the fact that for like Shadar-Kai, Eladrin, and what not, they are classified as Humanoid but for the effects of Feats and items/stuff can count/qualify as elves. I did something similar in regard to Racial Feats when starting all races off with one at level 1. Very 3.0/3.5ish which is something I like a lot.

Although, I am going to be that DM who would allow the Eberron Revenant Blade feat and Double-Scimitar being allowed in that selection of Elven feats/weapon proficiency for those races too, despite what RAW Trance says.

Li Shenron

Legend
Maybe their independently wealthy older sibling is buying it for them.
Well they do call it a "gift set" after all...

I would think that making a product that is a marginally discounted bundle of optional books, two of which already sold in large quantities and the third a mere update, targeting older wealthy brothers of people who already have the more useful core books but none of these 3, isn't the greatest idea. But who am I to say so? Apparently whatever WotC releases turns out to be a market success eventually, even those three-digits-price sapphire dice which for me were a complete nonsense.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
New players usually buy the PHB. New DMs usually buy the 3 core books. I don't think someone is still likely a "new player" if they're already buying 3 supplements.
Well, you might be surprised, and the point of this package is to lower the bar of entry in the game store. It's not for literally anyone who posts here

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Well they do call it a "gift set" after all...

I would think that making a product that is a marginally discounted bundle of optional books, two of which already sold in large quantities and the third a mere update, targeting older wealthy brothers of people who already have the more useful core books but none of these 3, isn't the greatest idea. But who am I to say so? Apparently whatever WotC releases turns out to be a market success eventually, even those three-digits-price sapphire dice which for me were a complete nonsense.
So, with this set, moving forwards someone who wants to get into D&D can buy the core book set, which goes for less than $90 on Amazon and not that much more in a FLGS, and if they want all of the rules (95%, at any rate), just another $90 puts it all at their fingertips. Much easier to decide on two $90 purchases than 12 hardcover purchases, unless you spread it over 8 years.

Lowering the bar for entry, it's good marketing. They can put these two gift sets in Target, next to the box sets that still sell like hotcakes.

Last edited:

As a reverse count, what other official races are there that haven't seen an update to the new style?

All the PHB races, sans dragonborn
Ghostwise halfling
Lotusden halfling
Pallid elf
Draconblood Dragonborn
Ravenite Dragonborn
All subraces of tiefling
Leonin
Loxodon
Simic Hybrid
Vedalkin
Verdan
Warforged
Kalshatar
All dargonmarked variants from Eberron

That's a pretty small list i guess.

I do like the fact that for like Shadar-Kai, Eladrin, and what not, they are classified as Humanoid but for the effects of Feats and items/stuff can count/qualify as elves. I did something similar in regard to Racial Feats when starting all races off with one at level 1. Very 3.0/3.5ish which is something I like a lot.

Although, I am going to be that DM who would allow the Eberron Revenant Blade feat and Double-Scimitar being allowed in that selection of Elven feats/weapon proficiency for those races too, despite what RAW Trance says.

What's more interesting was the Gobliniod subtype for races given no effect or feat to my knowledge targets Gobliniods specifically. Could it be a sign of things to come, something up their sleeve?

Li Shenron

Legend
Lowering the bar for entry, it's good marketing.
Obviously good for them... the real "bar for entry" into the hobby is zero (just download the Basic pdf) and the "bar for entry for players who must own physical products" is the PHB.

It is certainly good marketing into making people think the bar for entry is much higher and they are generous in offering a discount.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Obviously good for them... the real "bar for entry" into the hobby is zero (just download the Basic pdf) and the "bar for entry for players who must own physical products" is the PHB.

It is certainly good marketing into making people think the bar for entry is much higher and they are generous in offering a discount.
It makes the question of answering product questions in an actual store much easier: "buy this, it has all the important stuff."

Remove ads

Remove ads