D&D 5E List of All 33 Races in Mordenkainen's Monsters of the Multiverse

Mordenkainen Presents Monsters of the Multiverse contains 33 races compiled from previous Dungeons & Dragons books. Aarackocra Assimar Bugbear Centaur Changeling Deep Gnome Duergar Eladrin Fairy Firbolg Genasi, Air Genasi, Earth Genasi, Fire Gennasi, Water Githyanki Githzerai Goblin Goliath Harengon Hobgoblin Kenku Kobold Lizardfolk Minotaur Orc Satyr Sea Elf Shadar Kai Shifter Tabaxi...

Mordenkainen Presents Monsters of the Multiverse contains 33 races compiled from previous Dungeons & Dragons books.

greg-rutkowski-monsters-of-the-multiverse-1920.jpg

• Aarackocra
  • Assimar
  • Bugbear
  • Centaur
  • Changeling
  • Deep Gnome
  • Duergar
  • Eladrin
  • Fairy
  • Firbolg
  • Genasi, Air
  • Genasi, Earth
  • Genasi, Fire
  • Gennasi, Water
  • Githyanki
  • Githzerai
  • Goblin
  • Goliath
  • Harengon
  • Hobgoblin
  • Kenku
  • Kobold
  • Lizardfolk
  • Minotaur
  • Orc
  • Satyr
  • Sea Elf
  • Shadar Kai
  • Shifter
  • Tabaxi
  • Turtle
  • Triton
  • Yuan-ti

While reprinted, these races have all been updated to the current standard used by WotC for D&D races used in Tasha's Cauldron of Everything, including a free choice of ability score increases (increase one by 2 points and another by 1 point; or increase three by 1 point), and small races not suffering a movement speed penalty.

The video below from Nerd Immersion delves into the races in more detail.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
I would be absolutely shocked if getting some completionists to buy more than they would have otherwise didn't enter into the thinking. (I think a lot of MtG folks would be similarly shocked about how some of the things over there work if that wasn't part of the goal). And I would be similarly surprised if new players were best served by a $129 special cover set than they would be by being able to pick the books up one at a time based on their interest.
$129 is a deal: outside of the set, the same rules material is $200, even after the Multiverse book gets released we'retalking $150. More, actually, since even Volos and Mordenkainen's combined doesn't give all the crunch this gift set is bringing. It eliminates analysis paralysis. Haven't been buying books for 8 years? Here's the complete set of rules, outside the core books, at a bargain price.

New players are the target audience all around, nit completionists. Completionists will complete, they don't need to tweak them much. Making onboarding easy and straight forward is where the money is at.

MNblockhead

A Title Much Cooler Than Anything on the Old Site
Apparently 27.5 for the human. How Fast Can a Human Run? (Published 2020)

An adult basilisk lizard can only move a few meters before sinking. (The kids can go 20m). Common basilisk - Wikipedia
Can't say I spent a lot of time checking the numbers to make my stupid little joke, but I the first hit on my Google search stated that the fastest humans can sprint up to 15.9 MPH. Though Usain Bolt, who I think still holds the record, reached 28 mph in the 100-meter dash. But I would rather watch lizards run in slow motion than source check. :)

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
Well, you can pretend that, but that doesn't do anything about the social pressure to use it coming from WotC, DDB, the media (how hard do you think Critical Role will push the new shiny?), and possibly your players. Since these changes seem to make PCs stronger (even if just a little) I expect many are going to want them in your game, and perhaps be resentful if you say no. Not a dealbreaker, but something to think about.
This has been the siren's call I've heard on the boards here for the 20+ years I've been coming here across the three editions EN World has been covering D&D. And it is always the same complaint...

"I want D&D to be the way I like it, and thus the company should make it the way I like it, otherwise I have to defend what I like from my players. And I don't want to have to go through that."

And I said it then and I'll say again it now... if you have such strong feelings about what you think D&D should be and how you want your D&D game to be... then stand up for yourself and just tell your players "No." If you are running the game and you feel SO MUCH that a certain rule or a certain game system needs to be a certain way for you to feel happy... your players should just go along with it. And if not, then find new players who will. And if you can't find new players, then you just make the decision for yourself of what's more important... playing D&D in this very esoteric way that you've created for yourself over however many years but for which you can't find anyone to play with you... OR... decide that playing D&D that doesn't match up to your preferences 100% but for which you can actually find players to join you might just very well be the better choice.

I think there are bits of 5E D&D that aren't great. And thus I make changes to the game via house rules. And my players can choose to join me, or they can choose not to. And any house rules that I discover during play that are just more trouble than they are worth in playing the game with my players... I'll get rid of and stop using. Even if the game is now slightly less than my ideal. Because I'd rather play the game at all than hold on to these ideals that I'd otherwise squeeze all the life out of.

darjr

I crit!
Sure we can continue playing the editions we enjoy.

What's damaging is we lack continued support.

I would kill to see WotC publish 3.5 books again. A Complete Incarnum book. An Expanded Psionics book 2. A Forgotten Realms regional book on The Lands of Intrigue. A Fiendish Codex III: Yugoloths book. A Monster Manual 6. I can go on about what I'd like to see the designers create and gladly pay for it, unlike now where I haven't purchased anything D&D since they ended 3.5e

That's what's upsetting. That's what's wrong. That's why most of us what people dub "grognards" are angry about.

We want more of the old stuff.

Heck, why the hell isn't WotC opening up their DMsGuild to older editions? I would love to purchase creator content on DMs Guild that was published more 2e or 3e. The fact they limit it to edition neutral or 5e only is garbage. Heck I'd like to collab and write up a 3.5 Psionics book on the DMs Guild maybe.
That all can be done, it doesn’t have to be in DMsGuild.

Cadence

Legend
Supporter
$129 is a deal: outside of the set, the same rules material is $200, even after the Multiverse book gets released we'retalking $150. More, actually, since even Volos and Mordenkainen's combined doesn't give all the crunch this gift set is bringing. It eliminates analysis paralysis. Haven't been buying books for 8 years? Here's the complete set of rules, outside the core books, at a bargain price.
At the LGS sure. I'm guessing many are getting Tasha for $27.18 and Xanthar's for $31.49 on Amazon. (The gift set is $152.96 there).

And I will admit my perspective is skewed by who in my household is buying. My 12 yo and relatives buying gifts for him can come up with $25-50 at a time more happily than three times that. Since I don't have Volo or Xanthar, I was tempted and it would be fine for me. I'm not sure I want to bother if I think the character options will get similar treatment (a single combined book) in a year or two. (And I can borrow my son's ;-) ).

Remove ads

Remove ads