• Short Rest

Votes: 23 32.9%
  • Long Rest

Votes: 47 67.1%

tetrasodium

Legend
Supporter
Epic
Opportunity cost. If you end the day with an unspent 5th level spell slot, that’s a 5th level spell you could have cast that day and didn’t, which translates to other resources (like hit points) spent that could have been saved had you cast it.
With 5e spells you are probably absolutely right about that 5th level spell. In the past though that fifth level spell being there ready in case provided the party the peace of mind that came with having it ready to dramatically change reshape the odds and pull everyone out of the fire when things were going badly. That definitely a flaw in how 5e works as those meaningful emergency abilities are now in the hands of classes with the greatest at will damage spike damage defense and hp in most cases with a lot of them also recovering on short rests

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
So do you also think that your remaining hit points are 'wasted'?
Technically yes, since if you end the day with unspent hit points, you’ve missed the opportunity to engage in more adventuring that could have caused you to lose them that day - to delve deeper into the dungeon, for instance. But, since the function of hit points is to keep you from dying, ending the day alive means your unspent hit points did ultimately serve their purpose, even if they didn’t do it as efficiently as possible. So yes, they’re wasted, but the opportunity cost isn’t as significant as that of spells or other resources that are used to deal damage or otherwise resolve encounters.

Charlaquin

With 5e spells you are probably absolutely right about that 5th level spell. In the past though that fifth level spell being there ready in case provided the party the peace of mind that came with having it ready to dramatically change reshape the odds and pull everyone out of the fire when things were going badly. That definitely a flaw in how 5e works as those meaningful emergency abilities are now in the hands of classes with the greatest at will damage spike damage defense and hp in most cases with a lot of them also recovering on short rests
Right, but even in other editions, that unspent high level spell slot still goes to waste. I’m not saying saving your big spells for dire situations is a bad strategy - it’s a good strategy. I’m just saying if you don’t end up spending it at all before your daily abilities refresh, you’ve left that big effect on the table.

ad_hoc

(they/them)
It's possible. I read a lot of posts about how people can play D&D as a combat-simulation board game, and the rules definitely support that style of play...but I've never seen it in real life, and it's not something I'd like to try. (Sounds exhausting to me, but to each their own.)

Per long rest and per session can be different things.

At our table we usually have a long rest every 2 sessions though sometimes 1 or 3.

So yes we have 6-8 encounters per long rest but that doesn't mean we are constantly in combat.

Combat are also designed to take 3 rounds and go by quickly if players aren't agonizing over every decision.

I think some people's combats take far too long to resolve.

tetrasodium

Legend
Supporter
Epic
Right, but even in other editions, that unspent high level spell slot still goes to waste. I’m not saying saving your big spells for dire situations is a bad strategy - it’s a good strategy. I’m just saying if you don’t end up spending it at all before your daily abilities refresh, you’ve left that big effect on the table.
Not always. Knowing that the caster had x or & in their back pocket just in case often meant that this here encounter is a reasonable risk or that these consumables/item charges aren't needed until we reach a level of close to the wire we haven;t reached yet.

Technically yes, since if you end the day with unspent hit points, you’ve missed the opportunity to engage in more adventuring that could have caused you to lose them that day - to delve deeper into the dungeon, for instance. But, since the function of hit points is to keep you from dying, ending the day alive means your unspent hit points did ultimately serve their purpose, even if they didn’t do it as efficiently as possible. So yes, they’re wasted, but the opportunity cost isn’t as significant as that of spells or other resources that are used to deal damage or otherwise resolve encounters.
Yeah, I just feel about those 'wasted' spells the same way than you feel about hit points. I don't know, I get what you're saying, I just don't feel it. 🤷‍♀️

Charlaquin

Not always. Knowing that the caster had x or & in their back pocket just in case often meant that this here encounter is a reasonable risk or that these consumables/item charges aren't needed until we reach a level of close to the wire we haven;t reached yet.
That is true, right up until you end the day with that spell still in your back pocket, at which point it has been left on the table.

Remove ads