D&D (2024) Longsword finesse when used 2H

Bill Zebub

“It’s probably Matt Mercer’s fault.”
it doesn't have to be a fighter, but I would like a martial character with less magic, and none of the "mind body soul" flavor text worked in.

Fair enough. I know that player willingness to re-fluff is a variable, personal thing.

I played a Kensai Monk who called herself a "swordswoman" and would have been puzzled by words like "monk" or "ki." She would have explained all her abilities as the result of training and practice (and talent).

But, again, that's not for everybody.

(EDIT: really I think I'd be ok with letting the staff be finesse when used 2H. It still only does as much damage as a longsword used 1H, and with the existence of scaling cantrips it's not a meaningful buff for wizards and sorcerers.)

Fair enough. I know that player willingness to re-fluff is a variable, personal thing.
I do refluff all the time, I just wish to do it less.

In my last 4 years of gaming I have seen 2 hexblades, and 3 bards (2 sword 1 valor) refluffed as fighters and a really crazy multi class monk/paliden/hexblade refluffed as a fighter

I just wish I didn't have to take spells and call them martial manuvers to get the feel I want.
I played a Kensai Monk who called herself a "swordswoman" and would have been puzzled by words like "monk" or "ki." She would have explained all her abilities as the result of training and practice (and talent).
that is cool and would fit right in one of our games
(EDIT: really I think I'd be ok with letting the staff be finesse when used 2H. It still only does as much damage as a longsword used 1H, and with the existence of scaling cantrips it's not a meaningful buff for wizards and sorcerers.)
TBH I can't imagin building a dex staff fighter wizard is any better then a str longsword or dex rapier one would

Remove ads