• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Loremaster's Greater Lore Ability - How Does It Work?

How Does Greater Lore Work?

• Action: Free action (as a typical extraordinary ability)

Votes: 17 73.9%
  • Action: 1 hour (as identify)

Votes: 6 26.1%
  • Cost: Free

Votes: 20 87.0%
  • Cost: 100 gp pearl

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Uses/Day: Unlimited

Votes: 20 87.0%
  • Uses/Day: Limited (explain)

Votes: 1 4.3%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 0 0.0%

airwalkrr

Adventurer
I forget the consensus the last time this was brought up and since a player of mine just gained this ability, I wanted to poll ENWorld to see how they think it works. I think I have represented the primary viewpoints in the poll. If you vote "other," please explain. A significant number of other votes and compelling arguments could possibly sway me. Please vote only once for each category. The categories are ACTION, COST, and USES/DAY.

Last edited:

Dracandross

First Post
From SRD for those who can't remember what's this ability about

Greater Lore (Ex)
At 6th level, a loremaster gains the ability to understand magic items, as with the identify spell.

-Dracandross

starwed

First Post
Identify has an instantaneous duration, and a 1 hour casting time. The casting time is not technically part of the identifying process; it's simply how long the spell takes to cast. If you get interrupted during that time, the spell fails and you get no information about the item.

So I just don't see anything in the ability's text to note an exception to the normal free action activation of (Ex) abilities.

Agamemnon

First Post
Hm. I've never paid much attention to it, but that's a terribly vague description of the ability. If it was a (Sp), there would be a lot less amibiguity.

The question is, since identifying magic items is really such a pain in the butt, why would you want to make it take an hour? Hell, why would you want identify itself to cost so blinking much?

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads