TSR Lorraine Williams, unfairly lambasted?

The Eldritch Wizardry cover (1976) was no more provocative than what had appeared in the bodice-ripping pulps or that was being pandered through Ace and Lancer with the Boris Vallejo covers. One must also note that Barker's EPT (TSR 1975) had more provocative interior illustrations than EW:

Attachments

• ept interior.jpg
    ept interior.jpg
    24.9 KB · Views: 254

Sacrosanct

Legend
Well again, no one is arguing that art in the original B3 was worse than art that came before it. I'm talking about timing. That's important. Probably the most important factor. After the Egbert thing, TSR mandated that the art in basic be more kid friendly (as per the people who where there that I quoted earlier).

It would be like if WoTC put an illustration of a naked women being prodded by swords from a group of leering men in a D&D product now, and saying "It's not a big deal because early D&D had worse art." That wouldn't fly, and WoTC would be lambasted for it.

Well again, no one is arguing that art in the original B3 was worse than art that came before it. I'm talking about timing. That's important. Probably the most important factor. After the Egbert thing, TSR mandated that the art in basic be more kid friendly (as per the people who where there that I quoted earlier).

It would be like if WoTC put an illustration of a naked women being prodded by swords from a group of leering men in a D&D product now, and saying "It's not a big deal because early D&D had worse art." That wouldn't fly, and WoTC would be lambasted for it.

Sure. But it's not about timing, really/ It's about perception. The Vallejo covers were still the rage (even with Mayfair Games' Role-Aids) and cheesecake was still proliferating the markets everywhere at the time of B3. TSR perceived that they had to change, just as they perceived that the assassin class needed to be eliminated from 2E.

Sacrosanct

Legend
Sure. But it's not about timing, really/ It's about perception. The Vallejo covers were still the rage (even with Mayfair Games' Role-Aids) and cheesecake was still proliferating the markets everywhere at the time of B3. TSR perceived that they had to change, just as they perceived that the assassin class needed to be eliminated from 2E.

Sure. I'm not saying their decision was right. Only that that was their decision. So anyone refusing to follow direction would find themselves in less than ideal light. Especially considering how autocratic the TSR management was, by all accounts. In hindsight, I think we all can agree that it seemed they overreacted. But hindsight is something we have that they didn't have.

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him)

There is a big difference between the one entity in the industry everyone outside knows and the bit players operating below their radar. As the face of RPGing, TSR was in the crosshairs far more than Mayfair was ever going to be with Role-Aids.

There is a big difference between the one entity in the industry everyone outside knows and the bit players operating below their radar. As the face of RPGing, TSR was in the crosshairs far more than Mayfair was ever going to be with Role-Aids.

Shrug. But Lancer and Ace were not, of course. Depends on how one looks at it.

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
To be clear, many of the settings that many people continue to love today, from Forgotten Realms to Planescape, from Al Qadim to Ravenloft, got their start under Williams.

That wasn't a comments about how many settings are a good thing. While I would say that the lack of focus wasn't helpful, I think we can now see that the creation of all of the IP was (in the long-term, at least) beneficial.
That's rose-coloured hindsight, old chap.

At the time - and remember that's the context we're talking here - all those wonderful settings ended up being no more than very large straws on a camel whose back was already near-broken.

Had they been more than that, WotC would have kept 'em in print.

Remove ads