[LPF] The Ringling Affair

Satin Knights

First Post
Since these people look like they might have a bit of authority, Mystie doesn't reach for her crossbow this time. "Hello sirs. May I inquire as to who you are and why you think that box contains contraband? I mean, I don't know what is in the box. I didn't pack it. Did you? If not, how can you know what is in it? And besides that, here, in the City of Glass, where you can buy anything, what is contraband? I'm serious. What is it we can't have? Come on, come on, give me a full list."

"And how do you know something like that is in that box? Is there someone making accusations? How can you trust their accusations if you haven't seen what is in the box? And, if accusations are all you are working from, how can you stop a normal business man in the street if there is nothing to show that he has done anything wrong? I realize you may be the city guard, but anyone else making such accusations would get their nose bloodied for their troubles. Or knees as it may be."

"You can't make accusations without having some facts. Since you haven't looked in the box, you don't have facts to support your accusations. Therefore, you cannot open private property of his on suspicions. If you could, I could accuse you of having thirty five gold coins that belonged to me in your belt pouch. You would not let me simply open your belt pouch and take those coins. Therefore, I suggest you should not, and can not open his box."

[section] Updated Map
[sblock=actions]move and talk Diplomacy (1d20+11=27)
[/sblock]
[sblock=Mystie Thissiledew's Mini-stats]Mystie Thissiledew
HP 13/13, AC 13, 10 Touch, 13 FF; Init -1, Darkvision 60', Move 15'
Fort: +4, Reflex -1, Will +2, CMB -4, CMD 5
Perception +0, Sense Motive +0, Spellcraft +5, Linguistics +2, Stealth +0

Dagger -2, d4-3
Lt Crossbow +0, d6, range 80' increment, 9 bolts
Thrown Dagger +0, d4-3, range 10' increment

.,,,.....,,,,,,..Orisons: Detect Magic, Create Water, Guidance, Stabilize, Mage Hand, Prestidigitation
.,,,,,,,,,Racial Spells: Dancing Lights (1/day), Flare (1/day), Produce Flame (1/day)
.,,.,,...Oracle 1st Lvl: 2/4 remaining; Cure Light Wounds, Bless, Protection from Evil
......,,.......Consumables: 1 Cure Light Wounds potion
....,,.........Consumables: 2/2 days trail rations
....................Channels: 1 of 5 left, 1d6, DC 15
.........Immediate Action: Misfortune, force immediate reroll, once per creature per day
..................................If bad guy rolls 18-20, reroll
..................................If friend rolls 1 10 or less on an attack for the base die roll, reroll
..................................If friend rolls 7 12 or less on a dangerous save, reroll
..................................This consumes the swift action
..................................Misfortune used on Mystie and Uff so far today
Effects:
In hand: bandages
[/sblock]
[/section]

perrinmiller

Adventurer
[sblock=GM Notice]Sorry, I have not been gaffing this game off. I have been waiting to get more participation from [MENTION=6749888]RunGord[/MENTION] and [MENTION=6687144]OperationMaximumBear[/MENTION]. We have crossed the 1 week mark on OpMaxBear already since he last visited EnW.

But I think Run is just busy and still with us (he was on the site today). I do need a post with some reaction/actions for Uff before I can update while NPCing Mother.[/sblock]

perrinmiller

Adventurer
~ 3:14pm: Crossing the bridge to The Roses ~

GuardSergeant_zps96cfb4ac.png

Sergeant and his guards approach as Mother and Uff move away from the crate and off to the side. He faces the small woman who tries to lawyer her way out of things. He accepts what she says and replies, "We are members of the White cloaks. I will grant that you probably know nothing of what is in the crate yourself based on your questions.

"If you must know, we have the testimony of one bribed custom's official that admitted to looking the other way when Dramm Marley brought the crate in to be inspected an hour ago. About that time, we have a dispatch from the same Marley informing us that his client Barton Ringling paid for the contraband. He also informed us that Ringling was picking it up and bringing to his residence in this district."

"Unfortunately, we are having trouble locating Marley. But we do have Barton Ringling and crate as we were informed." He gestures to your dodgy employer and the crate.

Merchant.jpg

Barton Ringling curses and mutters, "Dammit, that double crossing weasel. Jig is up, I am out of here." He takes off running in the other direction.

Guard_zps7fa57485.png
Guard2_zpsf45ee135.png

The other two White Cloaks start after him and blow their whistles.

The Sergeant looks at you to see what you are going to do. As you stand there, he offers you a way out of the situation,
"Tell you what. Since you are such upstanding citizens, you can collect a reward for handing over the evidence of Barton Ringling's illegal exotic creature smuggling. Report to our district headquarters. If you have any leads on the whereabouts of Dramm Marley they will pay for that too."

[sblock=Combat Information]
Code:
Qalabash:   11/11 HP remaining;
Mystie:     13/13 HP remaining;
Emily:      08/09 HP remaining;
 ->Mother:  11/11 HP remaining;
Uff:        13/13 HP remaining;
Barton:     ??/?? HP remaining;

Spells Cast: Shield (Qalabash), CLW (Mystie)
Abilities Used: Arcane Pool x1 (Qalabash), Summon Monster 1 x 2 (Emily), Channel Energy x 4(Mystie)
Conditions in effect:
[/sblock] Updated Map
[sblock=GM]The Diplomacy Roll improves the attitude of the Sergeant to allow the Encounter to be resolved peacefully. Awarding 300Exp each for Mystie and Qalabash.

Since it has been over a week, the other two players are dropped from the game and I am wrapping this up now.

We could RP a few more days and exchanges, but I am hoping we can work something out that gets Mystie and Qalabash into Mowgli's adventure. I emailed him and we shall see.[/sblock]

Satin Knights

First Post
"The greedy thief that tried to strong arm his way into getting double his delivery commission? Yeah, I might know where he is. At least I know where he was. He was tied up in a pretty little package for someone to find about twenty minutes ago. I guess you would qualify as someone." she says with a smile. "We can take you to him."

"Wait a minute! You said he was smuggling creatures? Is it a safe creature? I didn't hear it growl or crow. I am a healer by trade. If it is injured, I should tend to it. Can the box be opened?" Her expression turns to one of worry and pleading.
[section] Same Map
[sblock=actions]talk
[/sblock][sblock=Mystie Thissiledew's Mini-stats]Mystie Thissiledew

Dagger -2, d4-3

.,,,.....,,,,,,..Orisons: Detect Magic, Create Water, Guidance, Stabilize, Mage Hand, Prestidigitation
.,,,,,,,,,Racial Spells: Dancing Lights (1/day), Flare (1/day), Produce Flame (1/day)
.,,.,,...Oracle 1st Lvl: 2/4 remaining; Cure Light Wounds, Bless, Protection from Evil
.........Immediate Action: Misfortune, force immediate reroll, once per creature per day
..................................If friend rolls 1 10 or less on an attack for the base die roll, reroll
..................................If friend rolls 7 12 or less on a dangerous save, reroll
..................................Misfortune used on Mystie and Uff so far today
Effects:
In hand:
[/sblock]
[/section]

GlassEye

Adventurer
Qalabash Baram, human staff magus

Qalabash scowls as he sees the beginning of his glorious career in adventuring take such an inglorious start. Carefully he removes the scowl from his face and replaces it with a less unpleasant expression for the Sergeant's benefit.

"As I stated previously, we shall cooperate to the fullest. We can take you to where we left Marley though whether he remains there yet is yet to be seen. The crate is, ah, of course, now in your care though I can certainly vouch for the efficacy of Miss Thissledew's healing prowess should it be needed to care for whatever creature it is that is inside. Interesting that we heard not even a scrabbling."

Now that they know a creature is in the box Qalabash's curiosity is piqued and he glances more than once towards the crate.

[color=#66f99]"I shall tell you what I know of Barton Ringling, though it is very little to my chagrin. I will be more cautious in taking jobs in the future, you can be sure."[/color]

[sblock=Actions/OOC]
talk[/sblock]
Same Map

. . . Qalabash Baram . . .

[sblock=Stats]Qalabash Baram Staff Magus 1
Initiative: +1 Perception: -1

AC: 14 (11 Touch, 13 Flat-footed) Current AC: 18 (Shield)
HP: 11 Current HP: 11
CMB: +3 / +5 Trip CMD: 14 / 16 vs. Trip Fort: +4 Ref: +3 Will: +1

In Hand: Quarterstaff
Conditions:
Spells Prepared:
  • 0-level: Detect Magic, Light, Prestidigitation
  • 1st level: Shield, Shield
Special:
Arcane Pool: 3/4 points remaining [Swift action: +1 enhancement bonus for 1 minute][/sblock]

perrinmiller

Adventurer
~ 3:33pm: The Roses -> The Gulls ~

The Sergeant takes a glance at the crate and shakes his head. "Oh, think we will not be opening it here. I heard that it was a vicious dinosaur thing. Probably a Deyna... Deenaneekus, maybe is what it is called. The creature was supposedly sedated, but I am not taking chances. I heard it was really fast with a nasty bite, but talons like scimitars."

As if on cue, a screeching noise comes from the inside of the crate, followed by a thump. The beast inside was probably sleeping earlier and woke up.

Since my men are not going to be able to catch Ringling themselves, we shall wait a moment for a few more of my men to arrive and then we shall go find this Dramm Marley.

Guard2_zpsf45ee135.png

A few minutes later reinforcements arrive and one of the original White Cloaks comes trotting back from his chase. The guardsman reports, "We managed ta catch da bastard, Sarg't. Richards be seein' him taken tad a barracks."

The Sergeant replies, "Very good, you come with me."

"You four take this back as well," and gestures to the crate as he speaks to the four additional guardsmen that arrived a moment before. "Don't drop it or let it open for the sake of the gods."

"Alright, please show me were Marley is," he orders you.

A short while later, you return to the scene of the battle with the double-crosser and his henchmen. You find the two men still there, unconscious. However, they are wearing only their skivvies. Everything else has been stripped and taken, including the rope you used to tie them up with.

The Sergeant looks at you with a raised eyebrow.

[sblock=Combat Information]
Code:
Qalabash:   11/11 HP remaining;
Mystie:     13/13 HP remaining;
Emily:      08/09 HP remaining;
 ->Mother:  11/11 HP remaining;
Uff:        13/13 HP remaining;
Barton:     ??/?? HP remaining;

Spells Cast: Shield (Qalabash), CLW (Mystie)
Abilities Used: Arcane Pool x1 (Qalabash), Summon Monster 1 x 2 (Emily), Channel Energy x 4(Mystie)
Conditions in effect:
[/sblock]

Satin Knights

First Post
"Oh, its awake now. Sounds like a mean one. You have my permission to keep the box closed." Mystie says giggling a bit.

Seeing Dramm, "Well, his pants were tied around his ankles when we left. Looks like wharf rats took those, and the rope. If you want to put them in manacles first, I should be able to heal them enough to wake them up. That way you don't have to drag them all the way across town. At least I think I have enough. It took a bit to heal our own wounds when they attacked us." sticking her finger through an arrow hole in her shirt.

"That one there was just a goon following Dramm's orders. There were too more, but they limped away rather than fighting to their embarrassment."

[section]
[sblock=actions]offer up one channel and 2 CLWs
[/sblock][sblock=Mystie Thissiledew's Mini-stats]Mystie Thissiledew

Dagger -2, d4-3

Effects:
In hand:
[/sblock]
[/section]

perrinmiller

Adventurer
~ 3:33pm: The Gulls -> 7:00pm: The Roses ~

The Sergeant replies, "Well, that is good of you to offer, but I am fine with just taking them in unconscious."

"Go get some more men, I will watch these two. I highly doubt they will escape on me," he orders his guardsman.

Turning back to you, he says,
"I think we can handle this from here. You can head to our headquarters and ask for Lieutenant Saldivar. He can see that you are paid."

With that he dismisses you.

Making your way back the Roses is uneventful and you spend two hours sitting around waiting for them to attend to you at the White Cloaks district Headquarters. Finally they take your statements.

You wait around another hour.

Then a clerk arrives and hands you each a sack of gold for your reward.

~~ FIN ~~

[Sblock=Final Awards]Uff receives 201+42x7 (294) = 495XP & 42*6=252gp
Harkoz receives 13x7= 91XP & 13*6=78gp
Jericho receives 15x7= 105XP & 15*6=90gp
Emily receives 201+50x7 (350) = 551XP & 50*6=300gp
Qalabash receives 963XP & +996gp
Mystie receives 963XP & +996gp[/Sblock]

Satin Knights

First Post
[sblock=ooc]Thanks PM. Good game. Even if it was short. Looks like Mystie is going to be developing into a sassy little runt. :lol:

Uff and Emily do get encounter gold of 301 GP for the first fight. I have already updated their wiki sheets. [/sblock]

Remove ads