• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

M&M 3e Re-recruitment - (closed)

tunafish

First Post
Withdrawing interest in this thread.

add: J'onn J'onzz is gay.

Mod Note: EN World has little patience for insults, much less those based on race, gender, or sexual preference. This sort of thing will not be tolerated in discussions on these boards. I believe that's clear enough - if anyone does not understand, please e-mail or PM a moderator to discuss it. Thank you. ~Umbran

Last edited by a moderator:

Voidrazor

First Post
OK, variable sounds like a fine way to handle it. And contrary to Tuna, its at least as comics appropriate as invention.

Edit - And with the requires a skill roll flaw, Variable is actually cheaper than the Quickness :p

Last edited:

Jemal

Adventurer
Not really a big DC man myself but I always got the impression he was asexual. They did make one of the lanterns gay though. Not sure why you'd make such a juvenile attempted insult, but at least I can now thank you for revealing your true self before we wasted the effort to make you a part of our community.

Voidrazor

First Post
Yes, it was Alan Scott in Earth 2. Sadly the comic is kind of meh. And the writer kills of GL's boyfriend in the first or second issue. The Midnighter is probably a better example of a mainstream gay superhero. His early issues on The Authority were made of awesome.

And yes, good riddance.

Jemal

Adventurer
Yeah, I remember people being vaguely disappointed that they kinda copped out with the big 'gay lantern' story by throwing it into earth 2.
Anyways, VR, back to the point of this thread, I went over The Singularity - first off, great name, but it makes me picture black-hole super powers (But I think someone else already said that), though I do get the reference to the computing/robotics singularity, and thus it makes sense. :p

I skipped any of the invention stuff as WD's already given his ruling on that.

Powers 101pp
Nanotech Enhanced Body
Immunity 30 (Fortitude Effects; Custom: reaction/continuous rather than none/permanent; Distracting, Removable) 13pp
Regeneration 20 (Removable, 2 per round) 16pp
First off for this, I am wondering how it's removable? Is this a mechanical suit? The name makes it sound like your body itself is filled with nanites, which would seem very difficult to remove..
WD may have an issue with regen that high, but that's up to him. I am curious how that immunity works though.. I'm imagining it as he turns it on as a reaction to being hit by something, and then it stays on as long as he wants but while it's on he's distracted? Personally I wouldn't allow distracted with such low defenses to begin with, but again that's up to WD. Also, I'm not sure how long the distracted would last if he turns it off immediately..
EX: Badguy uses fort Effect, Singularity activates immunity. The distracting only lasts from then until the start of Singularity's turn, technically - so if he chooses not to keep it going on his turn, the only way he ever suffers the effects of it would be if there's a second badguy acting after the one that makes you turn on your immunity but before your turn starts.
Unless you were to say that the distracting lasts till the start of the turn AFTER you turn it off, meaning that if you were facing a single opponent, they would get one turn to take advantage of your disadvantage that they caused on their last turn.

P2P Mental Architecture: Immunity 10 (Common Descriptor: Psionic; Custom: reaction/continuous rather than none/permanent; Removable, Limited: no protection vs. attacks that work on objects) 4pp
When I first saw this my immediate thought was that psionic effects that work on objects are likely going to be fairly rare.. then I looked at Siren and realized that she's the resident psychic and only her Mind-reading and Illusion powers would be influenced by it. *NOTE: Not that I plan on using it on you, but amusingly Siren's Song is Sonic, not Psychic. ;)
Also, I'm assuming that we're using psionic & psychic as just different words for the same thing?

Also, if you want to be a bit meta-gamey, the immunity itself is less useful with Siren around, b/c she has a "Nullify Mental Effects" power to free allies that get Psi-pwnd. Also, it would block Siren's telepathy as well, so she wouldn't be able to locate/communicate with you. On the other hand, having a human techie who's immune to psychic powers on the team with the Atlantean psychic royalty who dislikes humans partly because of their Technological might threatening the oceans could make for some good roleplaying. Hell, depending on your background, they could even have been enemies in the past.

HUDlink to Nanocloud: Remote Sensing 4 (Easily Removable, Affects: 2 Types, inc. Visual, Range: 500 feet) 8pp
Sun Glasses or Scouter?

Nanotech Reconstruction: Transform 10 (Transforms solids to other solids, DC 20; Increased Duration: continuous, Increased Mass 1600 lbs., Increased Range: ranged, Precise; Distracting) 56pp
. . Robot Minions!: Summon 8 (Alternate; Removable; Multiple Minions 3: 8 minions, Type (General): Humanoid Robots, Mental Link; Distracting)
. . Bombots: Summon 10 (Alternate; Removable; Increased Range 2: perception, Multiple Minions 2: 4 minions, Mental Link; Distracting, Unreliable (5 uses))
. . NanoConstruction: Create 10 (Alternate; Removable, Volume: 1000 cft., DC 20; Impervious, Increased Duration: continuous, Movable, Selective, Subtle: look natural)
. . Warbot: Summon 10 (Alternate; Removable; Heroic, Increased Range 2: perception, Mental Link)
Why are all the alternate effects removable but the main one not? Is that just a mislabel? Also same question I had about all your other removable powers: What is it, What does it look, how is it removable? A backpack that constructs things? A handheld device?

Also, I'm not certain about this but I believe that when any non-instant power is used with alternate effects the effect only lasts while that power is active - so anything transformed or created would revert/disappear if you switch to a summon, and you could only have one of your summons active at a time.
You may wish to have these as dynamic so you can keep smaller ranks of the transform/create around at the same time, even while summoning something.
OR, this seems like an array that would make sense as a variable power. That would also segue well with your invention scheming...
If WD allows it.

Complications
Motivation: World Conquest
Quirk: Loves Deathtraps
Power Loss: Electromagnetic Pulses hose defensive powers
Rivalry: Dr Destruction
I love the world conquest and deathtraps, and the rivalry with the man who's essentially our resistance-leader is amusing.
I'm not sure about the power loss though. EMP would seem to be just a form of nullifying anything that's technological/electrical, so it would be more a factor of your descriptors, unless your powers are especially susceptible to it(No check/save, they just automatically turn off when hit by an EMP)?

Defense
Dodge 2, Parry 0, Fortitude Immune, Toughness 4/0, Will 2

Notes/Questions - Is the flaw Distracting allowable with defenses this low? If not, how high would his defenses need to be for the flaw to be relevant enough?
Right now he can't personally hit the broad side of a barn. This is intentional to balance out his rather spectacular defensive powers. But should I add some accuracy to his Create with the idea that anything that gets around his defenses (incurable attacks, non-psi will afflictions, object-effecting psi, etc.) will probably one-shot him?

Overall, my impression is that it's a great and interesting character, but I'm not so much digging the 'all or nothing' defenses. Seems more like something I'd use as a boss-gimmick than a good long-term character. Seems like in any situation He'll either be invincible or instantly compromised.

Last edited:

Walking Dad

First Post
MM has a daughter and had an affair with a female white Saturnian... the scary thing is that MM is my favorite superhero, but I don't think I mentioned it in any thread connected to my NE game ...
A Marvel half Skrull/Kree (Hulkling) and a Skrull (Xavin) were interested in persons of the same gender. Maybe he was just confused ;)

----

Singularity:
I agree with Jemal in having a hard time picturing how this nanotech stuff is removable. I usually think of Captain America's shield to be (easily) removable, but not the super-soldier-serum in his bloodstream. And nanotech sounds more than the later than the Iron Man armor.

I also agree on most other points Jemal made, but I withhold comments until this issue is resolved. I like the character and get the concept, but a removable device most can't perceive and interact with and with absolutely no reason to be ever removed sounds more like a complication than something that should reduce pp cost.

Last edited:

Jemal

Adventurer
Yeah didn't you used to have him as your avatar?
I thought that was why he said it but didn't think about the fact that that's been a while..

Voidrazor

First Post
First off for this, I am wondering how it's removable? Is this a mechanical suit? The name makes it sound like your body itself is filled with nanites, which would seem very difficult to remove..

My thinking was that while he does have nanites both in his body and floating in a large cloud around him, he can't make them do anything without an interface device. But I hadn't detailed what exactly that device is. It might be funny for it to be a SQUID under a toupee ala Strange Days.

WD may have an issue with regen that high, but that's up to him. I am curious how that immunity works though.. I'm imagining it as he turns it on as a reaction to being hit by something, and then it stays on as long as he wants but while it's on he's distracted? Personally I wouldn't allow distracted with such low defenses to begin with, but again that's up to WD. Also, I'm not sure how long the distracted would last if he turns it off immediately..
EX: Badguy uses fort Effect, Singularity activates immunity. The distracting only lasts from then until the start of Singularity's turn, technically - so if he chooses not to keep it going on his turn, the only way he ever suffers the effects of it would be if there's a second badguy acting after the one that makes you turn on your immunity but before your turn starts.
Unless you were to say that the distracting lasts till the start of the turn AFTER you turn it off, meaning that if you were facing a single opponent, they would get one turn to take advantage of your disadvantage that they caused on their last turn.

Distracting until the turn after being used sounds good to me.

When I first saw this my immediate thought was that psionic effects that work on objects are likely going to be fairly rare.. then I looked at Siren and realized that she's the resident psychic and only her Mind-reading and Illusion powers would be influenced by it. *NOTE: Not that I plan on using it on you, but amusingly Siren's Song is Sonic, not Psychic. ;)
Also, I'm assuming that we're using psionic & psychic as just different words for the same thing?

Also, if you want to be a bit meta-gamey, the immunity itself is less useful with Siren around, b/c she has a "Nullify Mental Effects" power to free allies that get Psi-pwnd. Also, it would block Siren's telepathy as well, so she wouldn't be able to locate/communicate with you. On the other hand, having a human techie who's immune to psychic powers on the team with the Atlantean psychic royalty who dislikes humans partly because of their Technological might threatening the oceans could make for some good roleplaying. Hell, depending on your background, they could even have been enemies in the past.

This should be a blast. "Don't be ridiculous. I haven't thrown anything truly dangerous into the ocean in ... well its only been a few months. But that wasn't my fault. If it weren't for the damned aliens I wouldn't have HAD to eject the fusion reactor core."

And yes I'm assuming psionic is the same thing as psychic unless the psychic in question just deals with ghosts.

Sun Glasses or Scouter?

For the Remote Sensing? Something like Google Glass. A technology which I find completely obnoxious BTW.
google-glass-428x240.jpg

Why are all the alternate effects removable but the main one not? Is that just a mislabel? Also same question I had about all your other removable powers: What is it, What does it look, how is it removable? A backpack that constructs things? A handheld device?

Complete oversight, and fixing it will save me a point, Yay!

Also, I'm not certain about this but I believe that when any non-instant power is used with alternate effects the effect only lasts while that power is active - so anything transformed or created would revert/disappear if you switch to a summon, and you could only have one of your summons active at a time.
You may wish to have these as dynamic so you can keep smaller ranks of the transform/create around at the same time, even while summoning something.
OR, this seems like an array that would make sense as a variable power. That would also segue well with your invention scheming...
If WD allows it.

Create and Transform both have a blurb about the continuous versions havng an effect that remains until destroyed/reversed. But it is intentional that The Singularity CAN'T have both the Warbot and Robot Minions! out at the same time. That would slow the game down and be a pain in the butt.

I love the world conquest and deathtraps, and the rivalry with the man who's essentially our resistance-leader is amusing.
I'm not sure about the power loss though. EMP would seem to be just a form of nullifying anything that's technological/electrical, so it would be more a factor of your descriptors, unless your powers are especially susceptible to it(No check/save, they just automatically turn off when hit by an EMP)?

the EMP complication was there as an explicit weakness for the guy who can, and does, walk around battlefields gloating about being invincible. But if its inherent in the technological descriptor I wouldn't mind removing the complication.

Overall, my impression is that it's a great and interesting character, but I'm not so much digging the 'all or nothing' defenses. Seems more like something I'd use as a boss-gimmick than a good long-term character. Seems like in any situation He'll either be invincible or instantly compromised.

Well I hope WD decides he can live with it, because its one of the things I love most about the character. He gloats and brags and mwahaha's, but sometimes he's just hosed. I suppose its possible to act that way with regular defenses, but it wouldn't have the same feel for me.

Voidrazor

First Post
Here's the current version of my character.

[sblock=The Singularity]The Singularity - PL 10

Abilities 16pp
Strength -1, Stamina 0, Agility 0, Dexterity 0, Fighting 0, Intellect 5, Awareness 0, Presence 4

Advantages 10pp
Connected, Defensive Roll 4, Eidetic Memory, Inventor, Skill Mastery: Technology, Well-informed

Skills 24pp
Expertise: Chemistry 5 (+10), Deception 8 (+12), Expertise: Physics 5 (+10), Perception 10 (+10), Persuasion 5 (+9), Technology 15 (+20)

Powers 96pp

Nanotech Enhanced Body
Immunity 30 (Fortitude Effects; Custom: reaction/continuous rather than none/permanent; Distracting, Removable, Quirk: Distration lasts an extra round after use) 12pp
Regeneration 20 (Removable, 2 per round) 16pp

P2P Mental Architecture: Immunity 10 (Common Descriptor: Psionic; Custom: reaction/continuous rather than none/permanent; Removable, Limited: no protection vs. attacks that work on objects) 4pp

Gadgeteering: Variable 2 (Removable; Check Required 11: DC 21 - Technology) 2pp

HUDlink to Nanocloud: Remote Sensing 4 (Easily Removable, Affects: 2 Types, inc. Visual, Range: 500 feet) 8pp

Nanotech Reconstruction: Transform 10 (Transforms solids to other solids, DC 20; Increased Duration: continuous, Increased Mass 11: 800tons, Increased Range: ranged, Precise; Removable, Distracting) 54pp
. . Robot Minions!: Summon 8 (Alternate; Removable; Multiple Minions 3: 8 minions, Type (General): Humanoid Robots, Mental Link; Distracting)
. . Bombots: Summon 10 (Alternate; Removable; Increased Range 2: perception, Multiple Minions 2: 4 minions, Mental Link; Distracting, Unreliable (5 uses))
. . NanoConstruction: Create 10 (Alternate; Removable, Volume: 1000 cft., DC 20; Impervious, Increased Duration: continuous, Movable, Selective, Subtle: look natural)
. . Warbot: Summon 10 (Alternate; Removable; Heroic, Increased Range 2: perception, Mental Link)
. .
Offense
Initiative +0
Grab, +0 (DC Spec 9)
Throw, +0 (DC 14)
Transform: Transform 10, +0 (DC Dog 20)
Unarmed, +0 (DC 14)

Complications
Motivation: World Conquest
Quirk: Loves Deathtraps
Power Loss: Electromagnetic Pulses hose defensive powers
Rivalry: Dr Destruction

Languages
English

Defense
Dodge 2, Parry 0, Fortitude Immune, Toughness 4/0, Will 2

Power Points
Abilities 16 + Powers 96 + Advantages 10 + Skills 24 (40 ranks) + Defenses 4 = 150

[sblock=Warbot]
Abilities -16pp
Strength 11, Stamina -, Agility 0, Dexterity 0, Fighting 0, Intellect -, Awareness 0, Presence -

Advantages 16pp
Accurate Attack, All-out Attack, Defensive Attack, Evasion 2, Fast Grab, Improved Aim, Improved Grab, Improved Hold, Move-by Action, Power Attack, Precise Attack (All) 4, Takedown

Skills 15pp
Close Combat: ???? 9 (+9), Perception 10 (+10), Ranged Combat: ???? 10 (+10)

Powers 117pp
Antigrav: Flight 8 (Speed: 500 miles/hour, 1 mile/round) 16pp
Giant Robot: Growth 4 (+4 STR, +4 Tough, +2 Intimidate, -4 Stealth, -2 active defenses, +1 size category) 8pp
Construct: Immunity 30 (Fortitude Effects) 30pp
Armor: Protection 13 (+13 Toughness) 13pp
Microvibration Analyzer/Sensory Suite: Senses 6 (Ranged Extended 1 Touch, Infravision, Radio, Ultra-hearing, Ultravision) 6pp
Weapons Systems 41 point Array 44pp
. . Aerogel Dispenser: Cumulative Affliction 10 (1st degree: Vulnerable, Impaired, Hindered, 2nd degree: Defenseless, Disabled, Immobile, 3rd degree: Incapacitated, Paralyzed, Unaware, Resisted by: Fortitude, DC 20; Cumulative, Extra Condition 2)
. . Blast: Blast 8 (DC 23; Accurate: +2, Penetrating 6, Precise, Secondary Effect, Subtle: subtle, Variable Descriptor: close group - Electromagnetic)
. . Blast: Cone Area Blast 10 (DC 25; Cone Area: 60 feet cone, Selective)
. . Micromissles: Blast 10 (DC 25; Homing: 1 extra attempt, Multiattack, Secondary Effect)

Offense
Initiative +0
Aerogel Dispenser: Cumulative Affliction 10, +0 (DC Fort 20)
Blast: Blast 8, +2 (DC 23)
Blast: Cone Area Blast 10 (DC 25)
Grab, +0 (DC Spec 21)
Micromissles: Blast 10, +0 (DC 25)
Throw, +0 (DC 26)
Unarmed, +0 (DC 26)

Languages
English

Defense 18pp
Dodge 7, Parry 7, Fortitude Immune, Toughness 13, Will None

Power Points
Abilities -16 + Powers 117 + Advantages 16 + Skills 15 (29 ranks) + Defenses 18 = 150

[/sblock][/sblock]

Walking Dad

First Post
Alright. I looked at the rules again.

Immunity 30 (Fortitude Effects; Custom: reaction/continuous rather than none/permanent; Distracting, Removable, Quirk: Distration lasts an extra round after use) 12pp

Immunity is a none/permanent effect costing 1pp/rank
sustained modifier changes it to free/sustained at no extra cost. 1pp/rank
reaction modifier changes it to reaction/sustained at +1pp/rank. 2pp/rank
distracting modifier reduces the cost by 1pp/rank -> 1/pp/rank

I don't get the total cost of 12pp for a 30pp Immunity by adding the removable modifier and a quirk.

---

I also severely dislike the rules for constructs, epically the part were you get totally loyal and will immune servants by taking a cost break on two abilities.
Fortitude immunity costs extra and can be circumvented with a simple modifier.
Expect the mindless quality of your minions to be having severe disadvantages in my games.

Last edited:

Remove ads