• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Mage: The Awakening - OOC Planning Thread

Lichtenhart

First Post
Aenion said:
She puts out her cigarette before following the others inside, she listens to her explain her problem and then to her spouting her retoric, this time actually rolling her eyes at the mention of 'Techne', Bloody hippy.

At least we Libertines don't have "masters". ;)

Aenion

First Post
Lichtenhart said:
At least we Libertines don't have "masters". ;)

A life spent in duty and service is a life well spent ... or something like that :p

Added a line to indicate Morrigan's interest.

Last edited:

Tokiwong

First Post
Shayuri said:
Sheet v.2! Now sblocked so as not to spam.

Questions arise. What is the "expression" skill? Is it some kind of creative/artistic expression?

Also, how much money does two dots of resources represent?

As always, comments welcome!

PS - Lichten, I'm putting you down for 2 dots of the Santctum. If that is not accurate, let me know and I will adjust. :)

[sblock]Name: Allison Larkspur
Shadow Name: Thessaly
Virtue: Hope
Vice: Envy
Exp: 0

Path: Thyrsus
Order: Apostate (pre-Order)
Defense 3
Health 7
Initiative 6
Wisdom 7
Size 5
Willpower 5
Gnosis 2

Arcana
Life ***
Spirit *
Space **

Rotes
Untouchable (Space 2, Wits+Occult+Space (7))
Scrying (Space 2, Intelligence+Investigation+Space (8))
Finder (Space 1, Intelligence+Investigation+Space (8))
Spatial Awareness (Space 1, Intelligence+Occult+Space (7))

Attributes: 5/4/3
Strength **
Dexterity ***
Stamina **

Intelligence ***
Wits ***
Resolve **

Presence **
Manipulation **
Composure ***

Skills: 11/7/4
Academics **
Computers **
Science **
Occult **
Investigation ***

Driving (automobiles) **
Athletics (Swimming) **

Empathy **
Expression **
Socialize ***

Merits:
Sanctum **++ (size 1, security 2, Library 1 (occult), jointly held with another PC)
Resources ** (Owner of The Monkey's Paw bookstore and overhead house)
Gnosis increase ***

Details
The Sanctum is a basement to the bookstore with a concealed entrance. There is a metal spiral staircase in the center of the store used to access the half-sized loft where they keep rare books too valuable or fragile to leave exposed to the pawing of the general public. It's also used as an overstock area. However, the floor of the staircase can twist aside, allowing the steps to be followed down under the floor. There is a large open chamber there, with shelves containing books of -real- magickal lore, and several sets of common magical tools. There is also a bathroom, and a side office that has monitors hooked to the two store security cameras (also has monitors behind the counter near register). A carpet in the central room covers an inscribed pentagram in the floor. If two dots of security allow any magical wards above and beyond these described nonmagical measures, let me know. :)

Allison's resources are a combination of a trust fund left for her by her grandmother and mother's estates, and the small but steady income from the bookstore itself. While not hugely profitable, the Monkey's Paws clinetele is very loyal, making profits fairly stable. The inclusion of the second story bedroom suite helps a lot, since she doesn't have rent to factor into her expenses.

-----
You don’t know the truth yet… Your character is a young mage, the Mysteries are new, the truth of the universe, indeed reality is just making itself known to you. And already you know that some truths are being hidden from you, either purposefully or perhaps because you are not ready to understand the greater secrets just quite yet. Awakened society is all about secrets, and you know that even your Master is hiding things, perhaps for your own good, perhaps to secure their own power… but how does your character feel about this, or do they even care?

-- Allison finds the Awakened world breathtaking, and still a little hard to keep up with. Though her curiosity about it is boundless, in some ways she's almost glad not to have every little thing revealed to her right away. On the other hand, the more she learns, the more she wants to learn, and she's already starting to envy mages who command greater secrets than she, and can work greater mysteries.

I have the Power… Sleepers are ignorant, they believe that the world they live in is the way things should be. They can’t fathom a supernal world, a world where reality can bend to the will of an individual. The awakened have incredible power at their fingertips, how does this affect how you see sleepers, how you view reality, and how you view yourself. You can force your will on the world at will, but as the saying goes power corrupts… Will it corrupt you?

-- At this point, Allison doesn't refer to 'sleepers' using that term. They're just people, and she still considers herself one of them...more or less. This may change with time, but one thing will always be clear to Allison; the only difference between a sleeper and a mage is -what- they know, and how -much- they know. In her opinion, any sleeper COULD awaken...though she doesn't believe that all sleepers SHOULD.

This reality is a cage… a prison for your soul. The Exarchs, if you even believe they exist hold all the keys to reality. Their minions the Seers of the Throne do exist, and they are the enemy of the Pentacle, they are rarely obvious but they lurk just the same. They are omnipresent, they are dangerous, and they want to control you… or do they control you already?

-- Allison takes the story of the Exarchs with a grain of salt. It seems to her that if they were as powerful as people claim, how could any mage ever work magic? Wouldn't it be in their purview to cut people off from the Supernal? Clearly, even if some mages DID ascend to this celestial existence; their powers must be circumscribed. She suspects that the tales of their godlike abilities is based on a perfectly natural fear on the part of the awakened community...the fear of the unknown. They simply don't KNOW what the Exarchs can or can't do...so they inflate their worst fears and preach them as facts.

Your Shadow Name is your identity… Your Shadow Name is important, it is the name by which
you shall come to identify yourself. It is who you are now, how did you choose your name?
What does it mean to you, and what does it express about you, or how you view the world…

-- Allison chose the name Thessaly to represent herself. She read it somewhere; it was a witch's name. It also sounds pleasantly Greek to her, and she's always had a soft spot for Greek mythology. Aside from these two things, there's not much to connect her and the name. That is, she was led to understand, part of the point of having a Shadow Name. To guard against sympathies and resonances between a real name and a person. An overly meaningful, identifiable false name might be just as dangerous as a truename.[/sblock]
You can post this character in the character thread :)

http://www.enworld.org/forums/showthread.php?t=175540

Tokiwong

First Post
Aenion said:
I beg to differ, Morrigan noticed something very odd ;)
Leave it to the Arrow to see to the heart of the matter LOL

As an aside, I stand corrected, your current mana should be equal to your Wisdom which is 7 for the lot of you, I apologize for the invonvenience :)

Shayuri

First Post
Er...Toki?

I think you may be wrong on the range of Sense Life. I reread the description, and it clearly states: "The mage can detect life within his sensory range." It then goes on to say that IN ADDITION to this, there is a safety radius that no one can enter without the mage's knowledge, and that this radius is, for 2 successes equal to 2 yards.

I think you may have confused the -safety radius- of the spell with the actual -range- of the spell. The range appears to be equal to my line of sight ie - "sensory range." The safety radius is determined by successes, and applies only to that "Can't be surprised by someone living" range.

That's how it looks anyway. Thoughts?

Tokiwong

First Post
Shayuri said:
Er...Toki?

I think you may be wrong on the range of Sense Life. I reread the description, and it clearly states: "The mage can detect life within his sensory range." It then goes on to say that IN ADDITION to this, there is a safety radius that no one can enter without the mage's knowledge, and that this radius is, for 2 successes equal to 2 yards.

I think you may have confused the -safety radius- of the spell with the actual -range- of the spell. The range appears to be equal to my line of sight ie - "sensory range." The safety radius is determined by successes, and applies only to that "Can't be surprised by someone living" range.

That's how it looks anyway. Thoughts?
Ahh if that is the case then I will edit, you may be correct, I misread the wording... damn tables.

Tokiwong

First Post
Just to let you know, you are approaching the end of the Preludes story, to set the stage for events to come... well hopefully the end. Any ideas for Lgacies or goals short term for your characters?

I know, this is a PbP and they have a way of going south quickly, but it always helps to look ahead, if you have no ideas yet, that is fine, but if you do, I can start incorporating it :)

I have Legacies: Sublime, Guardians of the Veil, and Tome of the Watchtowers available to me :) plus the legacies in the book... unless you want to try the road less traveled and develop your own... or any other goals in mind.

Lichtenhart

First Post
I didn't really think of it while designing the character, but the Ascended Adept from Tome of the Watchtowers would suit Daniel quite well. He would see it more as a way to delve deeper into the mysteries of the realms of dream, rather than as ascetism to ged rid of a corrupted world, though. For him the world isn't that corrupted, because dreams are still able to pervade reality.

Tokiwong

First Post
Lichtenhart said:
I didn't really think of it while designing the character, but the Ascended Adept from Tome of the Watchtowers would suit Daniel quite well. He would see it more as a way to delve deeper into the mysteries of the realms of dream, rather than as ascetism to ged rid of a corrupted world, though. For him the world isn't that corrupted, because dreams are still able to pervade reality.
Awesome I will read it over and see how to work that in :)

Remove ads