• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

MAGIC Domain is Broken!

Larcen

Explorer
War Golem said:
My aasimar paladin/cleric of Mystra fully intends to make full use of "borrowing" privilages with the party mage's spellbook.

But, WG, if you only need to borrow the spellbook from the party's mage every now and again, and not really have to create/carry/maintain/fret over/protect a spellbook of your own, then in a sense you really don't need a spellbook per se. That is a huge advantage over the party's mage who HAS to lug that thing around. As long as HE is around, you are all set. And even then, losing access to his book means you cannot use just ONE of your spells (Anyspell) anymore, assuming there are no other sources to copy from. So I would have to agree with Greg on this one. You are really not as tied to a spellbook as a wizard.

BTW, "aasimar paladin/cleric"...cool character. ;)

Last edited:

Aaron L

Hero
Hypersmurf is correct. The casting attribute of the class that created the scroll is irrelevent. All that matters is whether the spell is arcane or divine, and whether it is on your class list. Once you have the scroll, you cast the spell as if you had it prepared, using your castring attribute. That is what spell completion items are.

Number47

First Post
Okay. Let's say I have a bard. He has a 19 Charisma. So that means that as long as I can make a 20 on Use Magic Device to emulate that a spell is on my list, I never have to worry about emulating an ability score because Charisma is my prime casting attribute? Dude, that means that bards now kick ass! They already have a caster level equal to their own level (unlike rogues).

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
Okay. Let's say I have a bard. He has a 19 Charisma. So that means that as long as I can make a 20 on Use Magic Device to emulate that a spell is on my list, I never have to worry about emulating an ability score because Charisma is my prime casting attribute?

Yup. The Emulate Ability score is useful for the bard with 15 Cha trying to use a 6th level scroll. The bard with 19 doesn't need it.

Now, what I'm not sure about - Use Magic Device says you can use Emulate Spell Ability to use a scroll as if the spell were on your spell list.

But even though Cure Light Wounds is on the bard's list normally, he can't use a Divine CLW scroll - he needs an Arcane one. So using Emulate Spell Ability to put Flame Strike on his spell list still won't let him cast it from a scroll, because he's an arcane caster trying to use a divine scroll.

It would seem he'd need to make a successful DC21 Emulate Class Feature check as well, since Divine Casting is a level 1 feature for clerics and druids...

... but I'm not sure.

-Hyp.

CRGreathouse

Community Supporter
Hypersmurf said:
It would seem he'd need to make a successful DC21 Emulate Class Feature check as well, since Divine Casting is a level 1 feature for clerics and druids...

... but I'm not sure.

I thought it was DC 20/level 0. I'll look it up.

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
I thought it was DC 20/level 0. I'll look it up.

PH page 76:

(It's okay to have a caster level of 0.)

That's for Emulate Spell Ability... hmm. I guess it does allow you to cast spells from the wrong camp, then.

My reasoning for requiring an Emulate Class Feature roll of 21 was that even though Apprentice Level clerics can Turn Undead, it's considered a 1st level Feature, so I figured "Divine Casting" would be as well.

But if ESA gives you a caster level, then that would cover it, I guess.

-Hyp.

Zhure

First Post
War Golem said:

Hi Greg,

I don't think this is correct. I believe the Anyspell description specifically states that the cleric can prepare 1 arcane spell of either 1st or 2nd level from a written source (e.g., a spellbook or a scroll). If the cleric prepares the spell from a scroll, the spell is lost from that scroll, just as if the spell had been cast off the scroll. When prepared from a spellbook, the original written spell remains.
Unless you carry around an abundance of low-level scrolls, a spellbook will be necessary. My aasimar paladin/cleric of Mystra fully intends to make full use of "borrowing" privilages with the party mage's spellbook.

I wonder if a cleric of the Spells domain could learn the "Spell Mastery" Feat?

Greg

Madfox

First Post
What sense is there in borrowing a spellbook? Mind you, I do not know the details of 'any spell' domain spell, but if it is similar to a wizard preparing a spell you will need to have a book of your own. Before a wizard can prepare a spell -even from a borrowed/stolen spell book- the wizard first need to have it written down in his own book. Only after that can the wizard use the spellcraft skill to prepare the same spell from a source other then his own writing.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads