• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

MAGIC Domain is Broken!

Larcen

Explorer
Re: Re: Re: You're forgetting another cool thing...

Hypersmurf said:

Under the description of Identify, of course.

The components are V, S, M/DF.

The 100gp pearl is the "Arcane Material Component". As a cleric, you need a Divine Focus - your holy symbol - instead.

-Hyp.

Dude, this ROCKS. You have no idea how many unidentified potions our party has lying around because we are too cheap to Idenfify them!

I must be getting old to have missed it. For some reason I thought that that pearl was needed by Clerics too! But, it DOES say "Arcane" material component. YAY! What a difference a word makes. :D

Larcen

Explorer
CRGreathouse said:
Divine Material Component: Your holy symbol. (Or is that not what you meant? :D)

"I identify it, and... wait, what the heck happened? My holy symbnol is gone!"

But wait, didn't the spell writeup say its a Divine FOCUS? Focuses don't go away right??

See, there IS hope for me. :D

Zhure

First Post
Re: Re: Re: Re: You're forgetting another cool thing...

Potions to identify? Don't waste money. Pay an alchemist 1 gp, or 20 gp to take 20. (That's his cost, so double it to 2-40 gp).

Also, since Identify works on 1 item per caster level, an 8th level caster can identify 8 potions for about 100 gp, cheaper than an alchemist, but it takes 8 hours.
Greg

Last edited:

Larcen

Explorer
Hypersmurf said:

Well, the only place in the PHB that really talks about scrolls - p126 - says "Activating a spell completion item - such as a scroll - is the equivalent of casting a spell".

Other than that, you need to go to the DMG to find out any information about scrolls.

Spell has to be of the correct type, arcane or divine? THat's in the DMG.
Spell must be on your class list? That's in the DMG.
User must have the requisite ability score? That's in the DMG.

It's not spelled out in the PHB. It's hardly even alluded to in the PHB. But you knew that you couldn't normally use a wizard scroll as a cleric, right? That's not in the PHB.

In general, all the rules about any magic items are in the DMG.

Using a wand? If you know the rule - that you can only use a wand if the spell is on your class list - then the Use Magic Device description makes sense. But it's not in the PHB.

You can't complain that one rule about scrolls wasn't in the PHB, because none of the rules about any magic items are in the PHB... except peripherally, when they relate to something that is.

-Hyp. [/B]

Ok, you've convinced me. I am blaming all this on my DM since he has the DMG under lock and key and it not portioning out the info in a timely manner. ;)

Isn't it funny to think that the PHB was out for some time before the DMG was even released? Talk about confusion what with all those vague references to a non-existing book!

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
Isn't it funny to think that the PHB was out for some time before the DMG was even released? Talk about confusion what with all those vague references to a non-existing book!

Well, I'm assuming you have a second printing PHB.

My first printing PHB has the "2000 Survival Kit" after the index, which has, among other things, the rule about requiring the requisite ability score to use scrolls.

-Hyp.

Larcen

Explorer
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: You're forgetting another cool thing...

Zhure said:
Potions to identify? Don't waste money. Pay an alchemist 1 gp, or 20 gp to take 20. (That's his cost, so double it to 2-40 gp).

Also, since Identify works on 1 item per caster level, an 8th level caster can identify 8 potions for about 100 gp, cheaper than an alchemist, but it takes 8 hours.
Greg

Yes, but I just learned that Identify is now FREE for me. So, who needs the alchemist? Heck, I can now put him out of the Identify business! :D

Last edited:

Zhure

First Post
Not only is Identify free, but you also rock using the Anyspell combos from the Spell domain.

A cleric of Magic and Spells is almost a better wizard than a wizard, as they don't need a spellbook and get d8 for hit points, plus turning + cleric spells + spontaneous cures.

Greg

Darkness

Hand and Eye of Piratecat [Moderator]
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: You're forgetting another cool thing...

Larcen said:

Yes, but I just learned that Identify is now FREE for me. So, who needs the alchemist? Heck, I can now put him out of the Identify business! :D
Yeah... Still, keep in mind that it's a second-level spell for you, while it's a first-level spell for a wizard...

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: You're forgetting another cool thing...

Yeah... Still, keep in mind that it's a second-level spell for you, while it's a first-level spell for a wizard...

Ah. Missed that.

That makes the market value of a Wand of Identify 4,500, vs the 5,750 if a wizard makes it.

That's not so bad.

-Hyp.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads