• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

MAGIC Domain is Broken!

Larcen

Explorer
Re: You're forgetting another cool thing...

Hejdun said:
You can cast Identify for free. No drinking pearl infuses wine for you. Each casting is 100gp, so you'll be saving yourself a couple hundred gp using your domain Identify rather than the arcane version.

Whoa whoa whoa WHOA!!!! :D

FINALLY a rule that I wasn't aware of that is actually good for me! I don't need to spend money on my Identifies??

Now that you mention it, I might have seen something on that. But I don't have the PHB to look it up right now. Where, pray tell, does it state this awesome rule?

Last edited:

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
Yikes! So, yes, this IS an obscure rules for scrolls, dammit! :)

Well, the only place in the PHB that really talks about scrolls - p126 - says "Activating a spell completion item - such as a scroll - is the equivalent of casting a spell".

Other than that, you need to go to the DMG to find out any information about scrolls.

Spell has to be of the correct type, arcane or divine? THat's in the DMG.
Spell must be on your class list? That's in the DMG.
User must have the requisite ability score? That's in the DMG.

It's not spelled out in the PHB. It's hardly even alluded to in the PHB. But you knew that you couldn't normally use a wizard scroll as a cleric, right? That's not in the PHB.

In general, all the rules about any magic items are in the DMG.

Using a wand? If you know the rule - that you can only use a wand if the spell is on your class list - then the Use Magic Device description makes sense. But it's not in the PHB.

You can't complain that one rule about scrolls wasn't in the PHB, because none of the rules about any magic items are in the PHB... except peripherally, when they relate to something that is.

-Hyp.

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
Re: Re: You're forgetting another cool thing...

Now that you mention it, I might have seen something on that. But I don't have the PHB to look it up right now. Where, pray tell, does it state this awesome rule?

Under the description of Identify, of course.

The components are V, S, M/DF.

The 100gp pearl is the "Arcane Material Component". As a cleric, you need a Divine Focus - your holy symbol - instead.

-Hyp.

Darkness

Hand and Eye of Piratecat [Moderator]
Re: Re: You're forgetting another cool thing...

Larcen said:

Whoa whoa whoa WHOA!!!! :D

FINALLY a rule that I wasn't aware of that is actually good for me! I don't need to spend money on my Identifies??

Short answer: Instead of material components, you need only your divine focus (i.e., holy symbol).

And if you don't have a PHB/DMG/MM handy, look into the SRD instead. :)

From the System Reference Document:
Identify

Divination
Level: Brd 1, Magic 2, Sor/Wiz 1
Components: V, S, M/DF
Casting Time: 8 hours
Range: Touch
Targets: Up to 1 touched object per level
Duration: Instantaneous
Saving Throw: None
Spell Resistance: No

The spell determines the single most basic function of each magic item, including how to activate that function (if appropriate), and how many charges are left (if any). For example, a +2 vorpal sword, a +2 dancing sword, and a +2 sword would all register as "+2 to attack and damage rolls."

If a magic item has multiple different functions that are equally basic, identify determines the lowest-level function. If these functions are also of equal level, the DM decides randomly which is identified.

Arcane Material Components: Worth at least 100 gp value.

CRGreathouse

Community Supporter
Divine Material Component: Your holy symbol. (Or is that not what you meant? :D)

"I identify it, and... wait, what the heck happened? My holy symbnol is gone!"

Darkness

Hand and Eye of Piratecat [Moderator]
CRGreathouse said:
Divine Material Component: Your holy symbol. (Or is that not what you meant? :D)

"I identify it, and... wait, what the heck happened? My holy symbnol is gone!"
Would still be cheaper than using a pearl; wooden holy symbols are 5 gp apiece, IIRC. :cool:

Larcen

Explorer
Number47 said:
As pointed out, wands are great for you. You should be able to use just about EVERY wand in existence. When you really need to cast from scrolls, there is a clerical spell that boosts your Int for HOURS!

Hey, great idea on the INT boosting spell!

Also, I'll let you in on a little secret...my PC is actually Cleric3/Sorcerer1! So I am already covered on wands. This is also the main reason I am so miffed about the domain's scroll casting ability. In my character's case, the only thing he got out of the Magic domain's special ability was the scroll casting level boosting! He already had wands thru his level as a Sorcerer. See why the limitation bothered me?

Now don't get me wrong, I do know that that domain is great, despite how it is now limited for ME. At this point, I am just fighting for all those other clerics of Mystra out there that, like me, keep finding musty arcane scrolls all over the place..and NOT wands. :(

SAY! I wonder if I can convince my DM to allow me to use the Magic Domain ability to append to my Sorcerer level and not Wizard levels. That way, not only will I get Sorcerer1 + Cleric/2 for my effective level, but I can then use my 14 CHA for the scroll-casting's prime stat!! Sounds reasonable for a cleric of the goddess of magic, right? Sorcer are MAGIC-users too, right? :D

Larcen

Explorer
Hypersmurf said:
Oh, Larcen, one other question...

... does your cleric wear armor?

-Hyp.

Uh-oh....whhhhhhhhhhhhhhy do you ask???

Don't EVEN tell me that my studded leather is going to give me a 15% spell failure for arcane scroll casting too! ARGH. Dammit, it does make sense somehow.

But doesn't it seem silly that just reading a damn piece of paper would require unencumbered body movements??

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
Don't EVEN tell me that my studded leather is going to give me a 15% spell failure for arcane scroll casting too! ARGH. Dammit, it does make sense somehow.

Comes back to "Use wands", really, doesn't it? :D

-Hyp.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads