Magical Item Price Help

Heya all,

I was wondering if someone might be able to help me out on trying to break down the cost for a Hat of Disguise. The 3.5 DMG lists it at a price of 1,800gp.

So, I tried to break it down pricewise. I figured it to be a Continuous Item, so it would be Spell Level x Caster Level x 2,000gp. Since Disguise Self is first level the math just isn't adding up. And then since the spell has a duration of 10 minute/level, it should even be further multiplied by 1.5.

Nonetheless, I'm not getting the right answer somewhere here. A little help would be appreciated.

PS - Happy Turkey Week to all those in America.

It would seem that it has been classified as a "command word activated" wondrous item, since the user must use a standard action to change appearances.

AR

Edit: Your hat of disguise know no limit.

Last edited:

UltimaGabe

First Post
The Amazing Dingo said:
Heya all,

I was wondering if someone might be able to help me out on trying to break down the cost for a Hat of Disguise. The 3.5 DMG lists it at a price of 1,800gp.

So, I tried to break it down pricewise. I figured it to be a Continuous Item, so it would be Spell Level x Caster Level x 2,000gp. Since Disguise Self is first level the math just isn't adding up. And then since the spell has a duration of 10 minute/level, it should even be further multiplied by 1.5.

Nonetheless, I'm not getting the right answer somewhere here. A little help would be appreciated.

PS - Happy Turkey Week to all those in America.

Actually, it's Command Word Activated, and fits the formula perfectly. (Spell level x caster level x 1800).

However, my question is why did WotC think that an item that requires a command word to activate yet has unlimited uses per day is so much less powerful than an item that has a continuous effect? In other words, why is it that items that are command-word activated with no limit don't need to be increased in price by duration, whereas items with a continuous effect do?

Remove ads