• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Making a successful Worthy Opponent?

Creamsteak

Explorer
Sollir, I actually think the "burning building" may be a perfect method to incorporate some of what I'm going for. I don't know if a true burning building will work for it, but there has to be something that both an Inspired and a Kalashtar would agree is the "right" thing to do. I'll have to see where I can introduce something like that.

He is, currently, in charge of the town guard in Adderport (augmented with riedran soldiers, though not inspired). I think it wouldn't be too much of a stretch to have either the lizardfolk attack, or a sea-monster/swamp-monster. Something enough over the parties head. I have a CR 14 half-fiend black dragon statblock somewhere that was originally intended to be used at a vastly later date. I might be able to run that, though I'm still tempted by the sea monster angle.

Creamsteak

Explorer
Would have played tonight but we were 2 of 5 players short. Instead I ran Seven Swords of Sin using the pre-gens in the back of the book. Hopefully in the next two weeks I'll get back to my main game to run it.

Side Note: The Abyssal Raptors are far more dangerous than CR 7 that they are listed for. Far far more. Compared to the gray render, they seemed significantly more powerful, and he's CR 8.

evilgamer13

First Post
Best repeat bad guy I've seen done was actually the brother of the starter dungeon necromancer so he had a good reason to want to off the PC's, he had plate that could make him ethereal which was the ultimate getaway item and thus he could not be killed only hobbled and forced to flee.

Lord Zardoz

Explorer
The easiest way to create a Worthy Opponent is to do the following:

1) In the first one or two encounters, he should have enough of an advantage to make his success very likely. It is hard to be taken seriously when your a push over.

2) He should have a goal that does not specifically require the players to be dead. He may or may not like the players, but he does not have any sort of vendetta. This gives him a reason to keep the players alive.

3) Where reasonable, start the fight with an offer for the players to surrender. Also, feel free to surrender yourself where it can be justified, but only if you are truly losing.

4) Do not kill the players. Or if you do, raise them from the dead, and leave a note apologizing for that accidental killing.

5) Do not screw the players over when / if they do not kill him. He may certainly oppose the players again at some point, but do not surrender then have your NPC rob them blind at the first opportunity if you can avoid it.

Of course, the above are just guidelines. The Worthy Opponent NPC I have ended up getting his arse handed to him in 1 round on the first appearance, and only survived because his 'party' managed to orchestrate a rescue / prisoner exchange. Given the chance, this person would certainly rob the players blind, since he is essentially a glorified bandit.

END COMMUNICATION

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads