Malvoisin's Curse of the Crimson Throne (OOC)

Malvoisin

First Post
Legildur said:
What's the story with dwarves in this adventure? After rereading the character creation rules and the bit about bonus skill points for profession etc made me think about a wandering dwarven wizard (diviner) with storytelling as his Perform skill, using his Divining talent to uncover truths and discover new secrets to build his repetoire. The loss of the human bonus feat and skills points would hurt though....
You could certainly go with a dwarven wizard if you'd like, Leg. One likely point of origin would be Janderhoff, if you didn't want him to be a native of Korvosa. I'll take a look through my Pathfinders and see what I can find about Janderhoff. Stay tuned.

EvolutionKB

First Post
Just devoured the PG...I'll have to look over both again to pick a suitable feat if I get it. Did you want us pick a trait as well? After reading the PG, I've gotta say, I'm looking foward to this game more and more.

Malvoisin

First Post
EvolutionKB said:
Just devoured the PG...I'll have to look over both again to pick a suitable feat if I get it. Did you want us pick a trait as well? After reading the PG, I've gotta say, I'm looking foward to this game more and more.
It appears that the first adventure will assume a plot hook involving each of the PCs having some sort of history or connection with Gaedren Lamm, so yes, I do want to use those traits in the final section of the PG. Character backgrounds should be constructed to reflect the selected trait. I think also, for the sake of variety, I'd prefer if each of you chooses a different one.

stonegod

Spawn of Khyber/LEB Judge
Malvoisin said:
It appears that the first adventure will assume a plot hook involving each of the PCs having some sort of history or connection with Gaedren Lamm, so yes, I do want to use those traits in the final section of the PG. Character backgrounds should be constructed to reflect the selected trait. I think also, for the sake of variety, I'd prefer if each of you chooses a different one.
I'm guessing Coldan's going to be addiction for obvious reasons; still looking at it though.

Malvoisin

First Post
I should add, also, that I would have no problem with you guys thinking up your own background connections to Lamm, and an associated trait to go with it. It looks like the guideline is to give a +2 bonus to a skill, a +1 bonus to one save category, or to make two skills class skills.

Rhun

First Post
Legildur said:
What's the story with dwarves in this adventure? After rereading the character creation rules and the bit about bonus skill points for profession etc made me think about a wandering dwarven wizard (diviner) with storytelling as his Perform skill, using his Divining talent to uncover truths and discover new secrets to build his repetoire. The loss of the human bonus feat and skills points would hurt though....

Just a note, Legildur, but your backstory may end up being very similar to my wandering Shoanti Storyteller. Just a thought. My PC was exiled and forced into wandering, so it may not be too similar, but I just wanted to bring it up.

Malvoisin

First Post
All, I have updated item #8 in the character creation rules. Rather than a bonus feat, the character may take the trait bonus for a background that reflects a history with Gaedren Lamm. It appears that this campaign does not include bonus feats for starting characters, as most/all of the feats included in the PG appear to be for higher level characters.

I considered allowing a bonus feat from the Rise of the Runelords players guide, but I figured that might be too many freebies. With six PCs in the mix, I don't think survivability will be a major issue, so you shouldn't need the bonus feat. You'll still get the trait bonus, plus additional bonus skill points reflecting the PC's history.

Malvoisin

First Post
Legildur, here's a little bit about Janderhoff, and a recap about the dwarven race from the player's guides. It may prove inspirational.

Rise of the Runelords Player's Guide said:
Dwarves: The majority of the dwarves of Varisia live in the iron-walled town of Janderhoff. Having settled in the copper-rich foothills of the Mindspin Mountains centuries ago, with the coming of foreign interlopers the dwarves have seen their home change from a simple mining village to a bustling trading town. Despite Janderhoff’s fortresslike exterior, its people welcome any visitors who seek to do honest business and who don’t cause trouble. This hospitality extends to both the Shoanti tribes of the Storval Plateau and the Chelish traditionalists of Korvosa. While the barbarians and Chelaxians antagonize one another seemingly at every opportunity, Janderhoff has no mind for such bickering. The dwarves eagerly capitalize on their position as the sole passage for the worked goods of Korvosa and beyond onto the plateau and rare Shoanti foods, medicines, and ancient artifacts into the south. While Janderhoff offers great opportunities to enterprising dwarves, those who seek their fortunes away from their home’s copper steeples can be found among the workshops of Magnimar, the gas forges of Riddleport, hunting alongside the Shoanti, and anywhere else in Varisia that a profit might be made.

Pathfinder #3 said:
Janderhoff: With its massive iron curtain wall and steeples of beaten copper, the dwarven stronghold of Janderhoff squats like a great armored beast among the foothills of the Mindspin Mountains. Yet, despite its forbidding appearance, the city is a bustling nexus of trade, with Shoanti and Chelaxians alike passing through the well-guarded tunnels that form the city’s only entrances. Once inside, visitors quickly find themselves in the low-ceilinged markets and smithies that provide the city’s livelihood. These surface buildings are mostly for receiving outsiders, as the majority of the town’s population lives belowground in an intricate lattice of subterranean streets.

Curse of the Crimson Throne Player's Guide said:
Dwarves: Because of their contracts with the city and the noble houses, dwarven merchants from Janderhoff always have buyers lined up for their wares. Once their contracted buyers choose the wares they want, the dwarves sell the rest in Gold Market (in Midland). The remainder of their goods, particularly magical weapons and armor, they sell in the Dock Trade (in North Point). Dwarven brokers exist in all of the city’s major markets, and dwarves in general are often held to be the most reputable and honorable of the city’s merchants and tradesmen.

Last edited:

Malvoisin

First Post
All righty, I've now read through the entire Player's Guide. I have to say, I'm quite pleased with the information therein, especially the complex political situation of Korvosa.

I also really like that there are little bits of detail that tie in so nicely with your character concepts. The Order of the Nail for Coldan; The Gray district and its cathedral of Pharasma (not to mention the Harrow Deck!) for Girri; The Bank of Abadar for Karastro; the historical ties to the Shoanti nations for Gadeann; the numerous noble families for Orman. I'm sure it won't be difficult to find some good stuff for Legildur's wizard as well: The Acadamae is one obvious possibility.

I'm eager to see your backgrounds come together now that we have more information to go on. :)

Legildur

First Post
Rhun said:
Just a note, Legildur, but your backstory may end up being very similar to my wandering Shoanti Storyteller. Just a thought. My PC was exiled and forced into wandering, so it may not be too similar, but I just wanted to bring it up.
Thanks for the heads up on that Rhun. Maybe Conan the Librarian will be a loreseeker of sorts, seeking out stories of the famous, and not so famous, dwarves that have made their way outside the Clans.

Remove ads