Mando season 3

Stalker0

Legend
I do like the world building type stuff, but I do wish they wouldn't juxapose it so much. Mando tends to do this, you get this really action pumping section, we have this interesting thing with Bo-Katan going, it has a lot of momentum....and then we stop it dead in its tracks to go off and see another character that most people don't give 2 bits for.

The Star Wars shows seem to do this a lot to their detriment.

hehe my god, does a Safety officer just not exist in the Star Wars Universe? Hmm, dangerous jump between trains high above teh ground....just press this button and open the doors! Dangerous mind flayer device that if put to a high setting could fry a person's mind.....eh we don't need a safety, just let it ride!!! With a trillion people on that planet, they must deal with a million accident related injuries a day! (and that's not even exaggeration, that's only .0001% of the population).

I do like the world building type stuff, but I do wish they wouldn't juxapose it so much. Mando tends to do this, you get this really action pumping section, we have this interesting thing with Bo-Katan going, it has a lot of momentum....and then we stop it dead in its tracks to go off and see another character that most people don't give 2 bits for.

The Star Wars shows seem to do this a lot to their detriment.
I suspect what happened in this case was that had they tried to develop that deliberately-paced character introduction over multiple episodes is would have been a recurring tedious section of episodes with no payoff in sight, so instead we got way too much of it at once, at least from our perspectives as viewers wanting to get back to more space western adventures, and left on a "I know let's go to..." cliffhanger. Getting a bunch of repeated beats all at once was also probably necessary to emphasize the drudgery of his life.

But my answer to that would be that this series would be better served by just not including a plot they felt required a half hour section of character development with no immediate connection to our hero. Much of the initial appeal of this series is that it was small scale adventures centered around one character. Shoehorning in a full scale space opera doesn't ruin the series for me, as I like that too, but it undermines the specific identity and makes it just another Star Wars series.

Also, as much as I appreciated getting a few episodes of this better series in the Book of Boba Fett show, that forever broke my trust that seemingly disconnected things I see in a Star Wars series are actually meant to have a payoff in the series they appear in. For all we know this whole middle section of the episode was primarily just setting things up for some upcoming plotline in Ahsoka or whatever.

Ryujin

Legend
I suspect what happened in this case was that had they tried to develop that deliberately-paced character introduction over multiple episodes is would have been a recurring tedious section of episodes with no payoff in sight, so instead we got way too much of it at once, at least from our perspectives as viewers wanting to get back to more space western adventures, and left on a "I know let's go to..." cliffhanger. Getting a bunch of repeated beats all at once was also probably necessary to emphasize the drudgery of his life.

But my answer to that would be that this series would be better served by just not including a plot they felt required a half hour section of character development with no immediate connection to our hero. Much of the initial appeal of this series is that it was small scale adventures centered around one character. Shoehorning in a full scale space opera doesn't ruin the series for me, as I like that too, but it undermines the specific identity and makes it just another Star Wars series.

Also, as much as I appreciated getting a few episodes of this better series in the Book of Boba Fett show, that forever broke my trust that seemingly disconnected things I see in a Star Wars series are actually meant to have a payoff in the series they appear in. For all we know this whole middle section of the episode was primarily just setting things up for some upcoming plotline in Ahsoka or whatever.
I certainly hope that they don't fall down the same rabbit hole as did the DC TV shows. It was the way that they essentially forced viewers to watch ALL of the shows, in order to understand what was going on, that made me drop them. Well, that and the signature CW melodrama.

For all we know this whole middle section of the episode was primarily just setting things up for some upcoming plotline in Ahsoka or whatever.
I mean, presumably setting things up to long-range connect to the Sequel Trilogy, really, given we saw:

A) The New Republic is kind of confused, slightly fashy/creepy, and generally not very competent given they're letting the clearly unrepentant Elia Kane pull them around by the nose, and using letting her team use Imperial tech despite public vowing not to use Imperial tech. Which would go a long way to explain how the First Order formed.

(Something JJ wasn't at all interested in explaining, because he just wanted an Empire-equivalent to do some Empire-ing.)

B) Presumably Pershing is being set up to get back to work on the clones for Palpatine to "somehow return".

That connection may well run via Ahsoka and Thrawn's Imperial Remnant, of course.

What they might want to do in future is just like drop one-offs like Marvel is beginning to do. If they did a single hour-long "Dr Pershing" episode, I feel like they could have done more, made it more interesting, and also not weakened the currency of The Mandalorian. But Favreau basically did what he did with Boba Fett - put most of an episode of a different TV show in the middle of his TV show. He did two entire Mandalorian episodes randomly in Fett so this is less extreme but the same principle.

Oh forgot my first thought on seeing Elia Kane in this show, which was "Wait, is this meant to be a grown-up Omega?" but I rapidly dismissed that, I'm sure correctly, because Omega is a good person and also blonde.

However, Kane sure does look like she could be a female clone of Jango Fett like Omega, and she's very interested in all this cloning stuff... probably a red herring but...

MarkB

Legend
I mean, presumably setting things up to long-range connect to the Sequel Trilogy, really, given we saw:

A) The New Republic is kind of confused, slightly fashy/creepy, and generally not very competent given they're letting the clearly unrepentant Elia Kane pull them around by the nose, and using letting her team use Imperial tech despite public vowing not to use Imperial tech. Which would go a long way to explain how the First Order formed.

(Something JJ wasn't at all interested in explaining, because he just wanted an Empire-equivalent to do some Empire-ing.)

B) Presumably Pershing is being set up to get back to work on the clones for Palpatine to "somehow return".

That connection may well run via Ahsoka and Thrawn's Imperial Remnant, of course.

What they might want to do in future is just like drop one-offs like Marvel is beginning to do. If they did a single hour-long "Dr Pershing" episode, I feel like they could have done more, made it more interesting, and also not weakened the currency of The Mandalorian. But Favreau basically did what he did with Boba Fett - put most of an episode of a different TV show in the middle of his TV show. He did two entire Mandalorian episodes randomly in Fett so this is less extreme but the same principle.
We'll have to see. This will retrospectively have been either a good or bad interlude depending upon whether it winds up tying into the rest of the season.

I could see it going either way. To me, these events didn't seem so disconnected. We had a resurgence of the Empire's interest in Din, Grogu and Bo, and at the same time we had a former member of that faction being drawn back into doing the work he'd been doing. These seem very much like dots that could easily be joined up within an episode or two.

And even if that's not the case, I like getting a bit more worldbuilding for this period.

pukunui

Legend
And even if that's not the case, I like getting a bit more worldbuilding for this period.
I enjoyed the content with Kane and Pershing in and of itself. But I didn’t like how it was stuffed in between two action-packed segments with Bo and Din.

After the starfighter battle, I was revved up to see what those two got up to next, so it was a sudden slamming on of the brakes when we spent the majority of the episode plodding around Coruscant instead. I spent the bulk of the episode impatiently waiting for them to cut back to Bo and Din.

If it hadn’t been one big lump of slowness sandwiched between two slices of excitement, I might have enjoyed it better.

I loved the bit about the highest mountain in the planet. It really puts in perspective how massive this city is
It's actually EU worldbuilding. I don't know where it originates but I read about it first in one of the High Republic novels a few years ago.

EDIT - looked it up - that is where it's from, that High Republic book (Light of the Jedi). Interesting that it made it to here. Also wow I read that novel almost immediately after it came out, and I had no idea.

pukunui

Legend
I loved the bit about the highest mountain in the planet. It really puts in perspective how massive this city is
Yeah, that was a deep cut. It was first shown on screen during the first Mandalorian-themed Clone Wars episodes (coincidence?) but apparently it dates back to an old McQuarrie concept art piece.

It's actually EU worldbuilding. I don't know where it originates but I read about it first in one of the High Republic novels a few years ago.
The High Republic novels are where the peak was first named as “Umate”, but the peak itself (and the surrounding Monument Plaza) go way back.

EDIT: Here’s the McQuarrie piece:

C929E63A-F4CD-498B-8143-07285F93274C.jpeg

Remove ads