Mando season 3

Everyone riding space horses around on the exterior of a Star Destroyer in Rise of Skywalker (ha ha, made you all remember that movie!) suggests that weak forcefields to hold onto an atmospheric envelope are definitely a thing.
That was in atmo as @MarkB says, but there are permeable forcefields on hanger bays since the OT now I think about it, and it would make sense for a Star Destroyer bridge to have them as an emergency measure. Hell we may even have seen something similar before in Clone Wars or Rebels.

Re: this weeks episodes:

Mando S3E4 - Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaawn. Disappointing on a variety of levels. The story didn't make sense, because it was missing any explanation of why it was okay to take ages on rescuing the kid - all basic common sense and knowledge of how things just generally work in reality suggests he'd have been dead one way or another after the like, 16-24 hours they appeared to take to do this. All Mandalorians except Bo Katan continue to appear profoundly incompetent and to lack basic planning and tactical skills. The whole "eating apart" thing flies in the face of basic humanity, camaraderie and like every military organisation in human history, and is profoundly demented (Bo Katan did seem to be displeased with it at least, rather than being all "This Is The Way"). The most disorganised and needlessly dangerous climb in history - like, you pick a route, and you all follow it, learning from your fellow climbers - you don't all separately climb the mountain together. So needlessly weird. With a better writer I'd say it was intentionally emblematic of how disorganised and individualist the cult-Mandalorians seem to be. Here I think Favreau just has never climbed anything in his damn life (amazing, given even I have), and never bothered to think about how it work work. So the kid is fine after god-knows-how-long in some internal pouch (we have to assume not a stomach) of this pterosaur? Weird. And now Bo Katan wants to join the cult? At least she got dumb-as-a-box-rocks mystical bollocks answers out of Hammer Lady. Again, with a better writer, I'd assume that left her disappointed, but we can't assume that with Favreau.

The flashback was cool-looking but AFAIK told us nothing that wasn't strongly implied anyway. Like, we get he's traumatized but that was mostly just a fancy chase sequence which didn't seem very traumatizing compared to stuff he does every damn day with Mando. It was also weird his PTSD was triggered by the forge, not y'know, all the gunfights/swordfights he's been in.

It's like one of those not-very-good adventures there the DM has contrived to have certain events happen, but can't actually supply logical reasons for why they'd happen, so just sort of has them happen regardless. Real 5MWD on those Mandalorians too!

At least it was short, I guess!

Bad Batch S2E14 - At least this advanced the plot and introduced a creepy new character, whilst actually y'know, building on the characterisation of existing characters. Storytelling, it's a thing you can choose to do. Or you can just have a series of events occur because you wish to rely on those events in future, I guess.

My only critique was the bizarre misuse of "routing". It was clear what was meant - "rooting" - you "root out" spies. Indeed, if you Google "root out", you see spies are the very first example of something that is rooted out! It obviously makes sense conceptually and so on, too, given "root and branch", etc.

I presume this is a weird pronunciation thing - i.e. the writer has never seen the word written down, only heard it said, and made an assumption about how it was spelled. Or he learned it from a certain poorly-written children's book which makes the same error. I wouldn't care but when you make a shows (or write books!) directed at kids, you should make an effort to ensure any fancy words you use are used correctly.

(I presume it was the writer because the subtitles have it spelled the wrong way too, and the actor was doing a British accent.)

Last edited:

Ryujin

Legend
That was in atmosphere, though - they were only a few hundred metres off the ground. The whole point of that silly escapade was to stop them from getting off the planet, because apparently Star Destroyers can't do "up" without a fancy nav beacon.
There is no "up" in space, so they didn't bother installing gravity sensors?

MarkB

Legend
My only critique was the bizarre misuse of "routing". It was clear what was meant - "rooting" - you "root out" spies. Indeed, if you Google "root out", you see spies are the very first example of something that is rooted out! It obviously makes sense conceptually and so on, too, given "root and branch", etc.

I presume this is a weird pronunciation thing - i.e. the writer has never seen the word written down, only heard it said, and made an assumption about how it was spelled. Or he learned it from a certain poorly-written children's book which makes the same error. I wouldn't care but when you make a shows (or write books!) directed at kids, you should make an effort to ensure any fancy words you use are used correctly.

(I presume it was the writer because the subtitles have it spelled the wrong way too, and the actor was doing a British accent.)

1679512209049.png

the-more-you-know.gif

MarkB

Legend
Uh-huh, which is a still a misuse, when "root out" was very clearly what was meant from the sentence. Like it said it's probably due to a weird pronunciation thing - though perhaps the writer doesn't understand that "root out" and "rout out" are spelled and pronounced differently.
I'm not sure what you're trying to say here. "Rout out", spelled and pronounced exactly as it was in the episode, means to expose something or make someone come out of a place. They weren't trying to say "root out", they were using the term "rout out" by its correct dictionary definition.

I'm not sure what you're trying to say here. "Rout out", spelled and pronounced exactly as it was in the episode, means to expose something or make someone come out of a place. They weren't trying to say "root out", they were using the term "rout out" by its correct dictionary definition.
I don't agree that was the intention, but okay.

Remove ads