D&D 5E Martial Levels (control extra attack gain for better MCing)

Xeviat

Hero
I was leveraging trading out extra attacks for CS die. (battlemaster context ofcourse)

I mean, most of what the Battle Master maneuvers do can, or considerably could be, done by giving up attacks. The BM just gets to use a resource to not give up anything and do extra damage to boot.

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
I mean, most of what the Battle Master maneuvers do can, or considerably could be, done by giving up attacks. The BM just gets to use a resource to not give up anything and do extra damage to boot.
Indeed one fairly extensive Variant fighter rewrote and made new maneuvers most with the clause of forgo one attack with CS die to soup them up in some fashion appropriate to the maneuver.

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
I mean, most of what the Battle Master maneuvers do can, or considerably could be, done by giving up attacks.
I believe someone @Tony Vargas pointed out they have to be things appropriate to doing at level 3 they cannot be too impressive. And since the fighter never gets to do more than the unimpressive plus attacking more we do not have to worry about wizards being offended by martial types able to do anything interesting. Snicker

Last edited:

Xeviat

Hero
I believe someone @Tony Vargas pointed out they have to be things appropriate to doing at level 3 they cannot be too impressive. And since the fighter never gets to do more than the unimpressive plus attacking more we do not have to worry about wizards being offended by martial types able to do anything interesting. Snicker

You know what? The BM should be getting higher level maneuvers that cost more dice. I'm working on an entire rewrite of the BM, we'll see how it goes.

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
You know what? The BM should be getting higher level maneuvers that cost more dice. I'm working on an entire rewrite of the BM, we'll see how it goes.
yes that is what I actually thought of way back during the Next playtest but all we got was a skeleton. A lot of us thought that.

One last time... In general, I disagree. For instance, you could start as a Barbarian, then take 4 levels of Fighter. You are trading your Rage (two uses) with more or less twice your effective HP, bonus damage, and improved AC when not in armor. All-in-all, an equal trade-off for Extra Attack IMO. And the more foes that hit you, the better that half damage thing becomes.

As someone currently playing a Barbarian 1/Fighter 4 I can say that what really makes it worth putting off the extra attack is not that it it really is as good as a straight whatever at level 5, but rather that I also played through levels 1-4 during which I was substantially stronger (even if I rarely had enough rage for every combat).

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
As someone currently playing a Barbarian 1/Fighter 4 I can say that what really makes it worth putting off the extra attack is not that it it really is as good as a straight whatever at level 5, but rather that I also played through levels 1-4 during which I was substantially stronger (even if I rarely had enough rage for every combat).
My issue currently is it seems like its very very variable I apparently lucked into something which seems to have a lot less bang for your buck with picking the monk. I kind of like some of the mythic heroes who were described as so awesome that they could do without the tools but..

I do see your point though that the effect is over the entire 4 levels (and continuing).

Last edited:

I house rule that if you get extra attack and you already have it you may instead select 1 fighting style available to fighters in exchange for that feature.

Makes that level not a totally dead level.

I'm currently working on a modified 5E that uses 1/encounter abilities (and at will abilities). Taking inspiration from 3E ToB, but as well as stances, boosts, counters and maneuvers, spells also fit in this category.

For example spells like mirror image, blur, stoneskin etc become stances, shield becomes a counter etc.

I'm trying to do away with daily resources as much as I can, to do away with the 5mwd.

Exhaustion and Hit Points are my current 2 bugbears. I'm struggling to make them encounter based only but am mulling over a few ideas.

I'll post it here when I'm done.

14 days in quarantine needs to be spent doing something.

What a time to be alive.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases