D&D 5E Martials v Casters...I still don't *get* it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ph0rk

Friendship is Magic, and Magic is Heresy.
The D&D system spell system doesn't really make sense for martial actions.

Also very very very few spells can be reflavored to martial actions. You can't flavor a wizard to look like an action movie star.

The idea needs to be done from scratch to really bring out the flavor, please the ones who want it, and silence potential detractors.
To be honest, I'm not sure if it is really possible to get this feel in the 5e system. The spells will still be there, and still do very big things. Assuming the power level of current fighters is where it should be, what could you give them that wouldn't break that power balance but also compete with flying or teleportation or invisibility or meteor swarm?

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter
To be honest, I'm not sure if it is really possible to get this feel in the 5e system. The spells will still be there, and still do very big things. Assuming the power level of current fighters is where it should be, what could you give them that wouldn't break that power balance but also compete with flying or teleportation or invisibility or meteor swarm?
Actually it's really not that hard. It just that most people don't have the time to do it.

But I designed 15 levels of the new class and at least 30 techniques in my head at lunch. I forgot all of it though because fried chicken.

The real problems I think many have are they can't imagine the character and they can't unshackle from "The fighter is every warrior. They wear armor and attack a lot. What other mechanics are there?". I might be wrong. But it all feels like brainlock.

Sithlord

Adventurer
If you are doubling down on the idea that a champion built where you pour every resource into being ok at both ranged and melee damage just to tread water with a hexblade when they are out of slots, go right ahead.

However, you bring the evidence if you don't like the claim. Or don't, I probably won't read it.
I see more People playing champions than hex blades. They are not going to change a class in the PHB after 7 years. They may add a substitution ability later on like they did in Tasha.
but. Classes and subclasses that come out in later books always have power Creep. And if 6E doesn’t come out for another 5 years I bet there will still be more people playing champion than hexblade in the meantime. imho. Champion does what it is designed to do and liked for it, a simple cookie cutter.

The real problems I think many have are they can't imagine the character and they can't unshackle from "The fighter is every warrior. They wear armor and attack a lot. What other mechanics are there?". I might be wrong. But it all feels like brainlock.
I thought the brainlock was the vanishingly rare warlock with an illithid patron.

DnD Warlord

Adventurer
Its about that time that news/rumors about 6e may come out. Possibly within the next year or two.

They had a "solution" in the playtest, an oft echo'd one, that every martial class should have universal maneuvers with level progression and certain maneuvers unique to the specific classes.

Playtesters disliked it because when they played a fighter, they wanted to play fighters and not wizards but sword.

Its my main criticism with 4e and exactly not the direction I'd personally want to see this. I don't have a problem with anyone getting this "complex caster," and I'm not opposed to its existence in the slightest. I'm just afraid the only difference in complexity between a fighter and wizard is just the names of the spells/maneuvers/powers.
Then call it something different. Let us have our wizard with sword but not spells

Asisreo

Patron Badass
The D&D system spell system doesn't really make sense for martial actions.

Also very very very few spells can be reflavored to martial actions. You can't flavor a wizard to look like an action movie star.

The idea needs to be done from scratch to really bring out the flavor, please the ones who want it, and silence potential detractors.
I actually played with a player who has done so, which is why I mention it from time-to-time.

They were actually a valor bard but wanted the flavor to not be magic. The things that were changed was basically that his focus was instead a "component pouch" which had a couple of practical stuff in it. For instance, "healing word" was "Quick-acting blood clogger (or something idk exactly)" and they would splash the solution on the wound up to 60ft.

It was odd and the fact healing word doesn't naturally have a spell component makes it a little dissonant, but I don't think it really bothered him. Perhaps he was proud of his work anyways, despite the minor inconsistencies.

Sithlord

Adventurer
No 4e wasn’t a failure it out sold 3e the same way 5e out sold 4e... 5e just spread the books out more
I’m sorry no. It was losing to pathfinder at one point. The PHB sells dropped real low in a short period of time. And you don’t create a new concept edition a few short years into its cycles if sales are great. Hey out 4E books are selling like hot cakes let’s scrap this system and create a new game called 5E that is a 180 and very little like our current game. Yup that’s a business plan. And there are many many elements of 4E I liked. But it was a commercial failure. And boy did I love the gamma world setting with 4E rules.

if it was such a success the difference between 4E and 5E would have been like the difference between 1E and 2E

gatorized

Explorer
Why are Eldritch Knights and Arcane Tricksters unconsidered in the debates?

The most common complaints is that Martials don't have versatility or utility out of combat, but they do in the form of these subclasses.

Sure, it isn't up the 9th-level spells but I believe that we can agree that a character isn't balanced when they

• Has Full Martial Proficiency
  • Has 1d10 HD
  • 4-extra attacks
  • A fighting style
  • 2 extra ASI's
  • And the ability to cast Wish?!
Instead, they have a truncated portion of spellcasting to keep things balanced. But they still have some decent abilities like Dimension Door, Fabricate, Polymorph, and Fly.

While these spells aren't "better than what spellcasters can do at their level." Its still added versatility that increases their usefulness outside of combat, especially since a caster doesn't have to worry about doubling up on their spell or cantrips within their prepared classes.

Honestly, I still don't understand exactly what the community wants. Is it purely because of the flavor of spells/magic? If so, I feel like that's an issue with semantics but doesn't necessarily mean that the classes are weak or underpowered.

I want this to be an open discussion. I may still press your reasonings if I'm still unclear about the logic. It isn't to tell you you're wrong, per say, but if it seems illogical I may pipe up.

The point is to be able to understand exactly what it is that's wrong, so we can be more precise and productive as a community about the game and what it should be.

An Aside:​

I've seen many arguments in this debate about what a fantasy hero can do. Odysseus can do this, Heracles can do that. Beowulf was able to hold a fight against a powerful foe underwater. And none of these involved spells.

But I feel that the majority of these classes were imparted with "DM Fiat." Within their respective stories. Heracles is a demigod, not a human-born farmer. Beowulf, as well, was enhanced through what we would determine as from the DM.

These feats are perfectly codified as Blessings, Charms, or Boons in the DMG.

Edit: Whoops, didn't finish that.

It can be frustrating having those types of abilities dependent on the DM if that runs opposed to the type of game they'd like to play, but the DM had already restricted your power from the beginning. What this does is allows the DM to tailor the experience so that if you want to be Cú Chulainn but not Siegfried, the DM has the abilities to impart this within the campaign.

Challenge​

I have two identical monsters a hypothetical party must fight. You are a wizard with the Ultimate spells known list of every single wizard spell in the PHB, so long as it doesn't have a costly component (if you cast Wish, its works the exact same so don't worry).

These creatures have a muscular, hairless humanoid shape with Opalescent green skin and white feathered wings. It carries a Greatsword and is of large size.

Without reading the Monster Manual or looking up a similar creature, which sequence of 6 spells would you cast as a Wizard? I will tell you what they cast if they can counter and I will tell you your percent chance of success given a DC 19 Spell Save.

The purpose of this Challenge is not to "GOTCHA!" the other side of the argument, its an opportunity for me to gauge the way the people in this forum actually handles the large number of options. Because, to me, this range of nearly infinite options is an illusion and more feels like a guess-and-check to eliminate non-options.

If this challenge (not deadly) isn't much of a challenge to some, I'll re-evaluate my position on how options in-combat isn't necessarily amazing.
I wouldn't cast any spells. I would use a fraction of my infinite army of mindraped Solars to achieve victory without leaving my demiplane.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads