D&D 5E Maztica - Eagle Knights and Jaguar Knights

Dragonhelm

Knight of Solamnia
While I am not a huge fan of Maztica, I did like a couple of the archetypes - the Eagle Knight and the Jaguar Knight. I was thinking what they might look like in 5e and thought I'd get some feedback. I'm using the article on them in Dragon #315 as my main reference.

The ability to shape-change into eagle or jaguar reminds me of the druid. However, I think they thematically fit the paladin better. So I could see them being represented by the Oath of Pluma and Oath of Hishna. Make them subclasses.

What do you guys think?

Last edited:

I would probably go with Paladin, but Druid could work, you could probably also work a Ranger, Cleric or even Fighter into being something comparable as well although you might have to look into swapping out proficiencies and some class features to make those work (something that 5e avoids except for feats, but is still a viable design space, even if it is a bit fiddly for some playstyles). I look forward to see what you come up with.

DammitVictor

Trust the Fungus
Supporter
I was just thinking of Maztica recently. Don't have much to add, except that I also think Paladin is the best fit.

Actually, I could really see them as feats geared towards certain classes. Certainly, I can see how they big enough archetypes that a sub-class would be a good fit, but here's my bit for feats:
A) The type can really be defined by a very limited power/style set.
B) In the source material the Aztec 'knight' grades were literally feats - they were recognition for certain heroic acts performed in combat
C) I could see characters from a wealth of actual classes and backgrounds qualifying for or fitting into the type - which is something that is perfect for a feat, but difficult to model with a sub-class

All that said, Ranger could certainly use some sub-class love.

I actually like the feat idea, but they seem to have gotten the short shrift in the PHB, largely being either big mechanical bonuses to martial types or as a way to pick up proficiencies, skills and minor talents outside of your class. Maybe they have other plans for old concepts like the Arcane Archer whether through 3E style prestige classes or archetypes, but I think that feats could model many 2E style kits pretty well.

I actually like the feat idea, but they seem to have gotten the short shrift in the PHB, largely being either big mechanical bonuses to martial types or as a way to pick up proficiencies, skills and minor talents outside of your class. Maybe they have other plans for old concepts like the Arcane Archer whether through 3E style prestige classes or archetypes, but I think that feats could model many 2E style kits pretty well.

Sure, but I'd qualify shapechanging into one thing as a minor talent and then you could load a bunch of other minor flavor abilities onto the feat given their breadth in this edition.

Remove ads