MCDM officially announces their RPG

Again with the terrible assumption. He's not new to Star Wars. Your not noticing his mentions of something until recently has no bearing on when he got into the thing. Any chance you'll stop pointlessly trying to undercut the guy? Don't like the game he's creating all you want, but maybe stop making up things about him.
Oh man...you could have just let it go. Didn't have to be this way, but now it is:

That's from Dec 2022. Please, tell me more about how he's been playing Star Wars FFG, or any other Star Wars rpg thing, for a real long time.
Oh wow lol. I've written checks my ass can't cash too, so I feel this.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
In the blue corner: Matt Colville, creator of multiple multi-million dollar Kickstarter projects.

In the red corner: a bunch of anonymous internet posters who have created zero notable projects.

DING DING

Mod note:
If the best arguments you have left are attempts to simply dismiss other people by appeal to authority, it is time to find a discussion you can be constructive in.

That, really, goes for everybody. If you have to make this personal, it is time to walk away. .

TheAlkaizer

Game Designer
I absolutely love that MCDM is diving in with the 4E influence. Not a big fan of funky dices, but it's not a dealbreaker for me.

I just hope the game ends up being different enough from the current offerings on the market. I love the dozen of bubbling projects, games and zines; but so many of them are rehashing the same ideas and dynamics only slightly different. For example, for the same reasons my level of interest in project Black Flag or Shadowdark is zero; they're way too close to already existing offers.

I hope the MCDM project becomes something that has its own little niche.

Oh man...you could have just let it go. Didn't have to be this way, but now it is:

That's from Dec 2022. Please, tell me more about how he's been playing Star Wars FFG, or any other Star Wars rpg thing, for a real long time.
On balance I like colville’s channel, but I’ve found him noticeably slow to acknowledge or show any interest in games beyond a limited, dnd-centric sphere. He barely even acknowledges pathfinder or the osr, even when it would make sense to (he once ascribed the idea of “rulings not rules” to 4e of all things). The idea that he’s just not really played these games is actually the most generous reading.

The one reason I haven't tried the new Star Wars RPG is due to funky dice. It's just another cost of entry. Oh and you need 3 books to get all the classes…. So dumb.

I own more than enough dice and I own no RPG that requires "funky dice". Its one more thing to keep track of, one more thing you need to play.

I just want a book. Minimalism. Thats it.

This rule does not apply to D&D where I need a lot of books and minis and maps etc etc etc
Honestly, a guy in my 4e campaign at the time started running this when it first came out, and we did have fun. I am not sure I'd call it a particularly revolutionary game, kinda standard stuff mostly. Feat trees, with funky dice. They don't really do a ton, but not BAD either. Overall it was a fun game, though I was playing with some good RPGers that I go all the way back to the '80s with. I'd play it again, but its no PbtA...

Aldarc

Legend
On balance I like colville’s channel, but I’ve found him noticeably slow to acknowledge or show any interest in games beyond a limited, dnd-centric sphere. He barely even acknowledges pathfinder or the osr, even when it would make sense to (he once ascribed the idea of “rulings not rules” to 4e of all things). The idea that he’s just not really played these games is actually the most generous reading.
I do think, however, that James Introcaso is much more well-versed in other more contemporary tabletop roleplaying games.

Last edited:

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
The one reason I haven't tried the new Star Wars RPG is due to funky dice. It's just another cost of entry. Oh and you need 3 books to get all the classes…. So dumb.

I own more than enough dice and I own no RPG that requires "funky dice". Its one more thing to keep track of, one more thing you need to play.

I just want a book. Minimalism. Thats it.

This rule does not apply to D&D where I need a lot of books and minis and maps etc etc etc
At this point, book availability is a real issue.

Also no pdfs.

Also no new material is planned, and the company that owns it has basically stopped talking about it.

Remove ads