MCDM officially announces their RPG

What the hobby needs is other genres. Why has no one made like a Cyberpunk RPG or a Lovecraft RPG. Heck even something like a Star Trek/Wars out in space RPG....

I'm unsure if sarcasm... 🤔
I'm going to assume sarcasm, but that aside Fantasy is still the 800lb gorilla in the hobby, and I don't see that changing anytime soon. It wold nice to see one or more other genres with the same level of interest and support fantasy gets. As someone who's not a huge fan of fantasy, it would do wonders for my adventures in this hobby.

Last edited:

TheAlkaizer

Game Designer
Justin Timberlake Reaction GIF
Is it sarcasm and you're leering because I didn't pick up on it? Or is it not and and you're leering because I'm thinking it could be sarcasm? My social anxiety is through the roof right now.

Jer

Legend
Supporter
What the hobby needs is other genres. Why has no one made like a Cyberpunk RPG or a Lovecraft RPG. Heck even something like a Star Trek/Wars out in space RPG....
I get the joke, but truthfully nobody really is trying to make a game like D&D in other genres. D&D carved out it's own definition of fantasy, while other games try to replicate the genre they're modeling.

I actually think that's one of the reasons why D&D is more successful than other games - it's very easy to just play it as a game even if you aren't well versed in fantasy tropes. You go down into a dungeon, kill some monsters, take their stuff - you don't really need to have even read any fantasy novels to understand what's going on at that level, and in fact the game can serve as a gateway to discovering fantasy as a genre. Other RPGs generally kind of require you to buy in to the setting before you can actually start playing - it's not that explaining the premise is difficult, it's just that the game generally assumes you're a fan of the genre and know the tropes before you even sit down to make a character. (I'm sure there are non-fantasy games out there that don't have that characteristic, but I'm hard pressed to think of any at the moment)

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
The only shared mechanics between C&C and AD&D are hit points, levels, and the attribute names and ranges. All the resolution mechanics are different. Even the modifiers by attribute are different.

They are, simply put, using the same stats in very different ways, which, from a "Can I grab this module and convert it on the fly" sure, if you think of that as "compatible"... but I find that level to be better described as convertible.

See, as a rules oriented person, C&C is barely even a look alike. All the resolution works differently from AD&D (which is what it attempts to emulate the look and tone of), excepting Attribute generation and the basics of magic.
I ran C&C for years. You can literally drop in a 3E class and run a 2E module without converting anything. The math may not be perfect, but it's close enough that very few players would even notice something funny going on.

From a "rules oriented" perspective, they're very different games. For the actual experience at the table, which is what I'm a zealot about generally, C&C is completely compatible with 40 years of D&D material.

Zaukrie

New Publisher
Watching the video makes me more excited.....but then, he's good at that.

Still not thrilled about funky dice, but less opposed than I was before.

Zaukrie

New Publisher
And, while I Love movement tactical stuff, I hope it doesn't get quite as far as 4e (which I love) in terms of locking down BBEG.

Zaukrie

New Publisher
I'm also surprised how little detail we've seen from the Patreon publicly (if there is much there yet). I'm tempted to back to watch the design process in more detail. If I was younger and more likely to do this for my job, I'd 100% do that.....but mostly I sell stuff to pay for my hobby.

Retreater

Legend
I'm going to assume sarcasm, but that aside Fantasy is still the 800lb gorilla in the hobby, and I don't see that changing anytime soon. It wold nice to see one or more other genres with the same level of interest and support fantasy gets. As someone who's not a huge fan of fantasy, it would o wonder for my adventures in this hobby.
In literary, film, or other artistic traditions, does any genre rival fantasy's epic scope?
Horror is best as a single novel, short story, or low budget short film. Even epic sci-fi is closer to fantasy (Star Wars).
I guess there are some historic epics, but maybe we don't see as many successful games in other genres because we don't have appealing templates.
Just a thought.

Remove ads