Mechanics of Revived Settings; your thoughts?

CapnZapp

Legend
As can be seen from the recent threads speculating about the release of Dark Sun or Mystara for 5e, people really, really want WoTC to finally publish an official setting type book for something that isn't the Forgotten Realms.
I don't think splitting their customer base is what WotC wants to do. If anything, I think what they really want is to have "the official D&D setting" which they can then use for movies where the big bucks are.

Since that's not going to happen, they're settling for second best: an existing setting that is as kitchen-sink as possible, and release everything for that setting.

In that light, Forgotten Realms is the perfect choice.

Supporting settings defined by what is not included is probably a thing of the past. They only release products that cater to the widest possible audience nowadays, and the Realms is really the only choice that interests a large enough share of us customers (maybe half of the homebrewers plus the, by far, most popular published setting equates to maybe 50% market share. The setting in second place comes at 10%, if even that high).

The interesting question in this light, becomes to my mind:

What of the mechanics you need for your preferred setting can you see in the Realms?

Why? Because I think hoping for content that can't be used in the Realms is a forlorn hope, outside the cheap stuff, such as those pamphlets for Magic TG settings.

Remove ads