D&D 5E Mechanics you don't want to see, ever

Immoralkickass

Adventurer
A-holes or not, if something in the game - be it another player, an opponent, a random magic effect, or whatever - does something to you that you can't/don't resist (either by failing a save or because there isn't one) then IMO for better or worse you're stuck with it.

In most if not all cases there's spells and effects in the game that can later mitigate or negate these things anyway - revival effects for death, restoration or curatives for a variety of other things, and wish-miracle-alter reality if you really need a bigger hammer - thus making pretty much any effect more or less temporary.

Sports analogy: a hockey player plays because s/he enjoys playing the game and is maybe even halfway good at it, but still has to accept that there'll be times when some seriously un-fun stuff happens such as season-ending injuries.
You're telling me if an a-hole does something to me which is permanent, I'm stuck with both the injury, AND that a-hole?
No, no I don't think so. Not if I can help it.
Look, lets not talk about PVP here. My intention was to talk about game mechanics that is generally unacceptable, or just downright bad design.
And right there you've taken in-character actions to an out-of-character argument, which wrecks the whole thing.

Deal with it in character, and laugh about it at the table.
Now here's an a-hole, right here.

And right there you've taken in-character actions to an out-of-character argument, which wrecks the whole thing.

Deal with it in character, and laugh about it at the table.
You ever consider the fact that maybe you shouldn't be encouraging That Guy? You know, That Guy who makes it to the front page of /r/rpghorrorstories? That Guy that derails entire sessions because it's what his character would do? That Guy who does not comprehend compromise and etiquette whatsoever?

Yeah, don't be That Guy. Don't encourage That Guy. Don't create environments that nurture That Guy and allow him to grow form a small seed into a massive rafflesia.

Last edited:

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
You're telling me if an a-hole does something to me which is permanent, I'm stuck with both the injury, AND that a-hole?
No, no I don't think so. Not if I can help it.
Why are you projecting the (likely) a-holeness of the character on to its player? The two aren't always linked.

I've seen awful real-world people play marvellous easy-to-get-along-with team-first characters. I've also seen excellent well-adjusted people play characters that'd make your toes curl.

What happens in character stays in character - it's not that hard to fathom.

Now here's an a-hole, right here.
Please elaborate.

You ever consider the fact that maybe you shouldn't be encouraging That Guy? You know, That Guy who makes it to the front page of /r/rpghorrorstories? That Guy that derails entire sessions because it's what his character qould do? That Guy who does not comprehend compromise and etiquette whatsoever?

Yeah, don't be That Guy. Don't encourage That Guy. Don't create environments that nurture That Guy and allow him to grow form a small seed into a massive rafflesia.
From the sound of it Lanefan's game is one whole table of That Guys. It's great that they can have a fun game together, but it seems like Lane doesn't grok how completely outside the norm his experience is.

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
You ever consider the fact that maybe you shouldn't be encouraging That Guy? You know, That Guy who makes it to the front page of /r/rpghorrorstories? That Guy that derails entire sessions because it's what his character qould do?
If That Guy keeps his shenanigans in character I'll happily encourage him (or her). You do what your character would do based on its established patterns, and in the same vein my character will do what it'll do, and if they come into conflict may the best one win. :)

That Guy who does not comprehend compromise and etiquette whatsoever?
"Etiquette" implies real-world behaviour, which is different. Real-world behaviour that's out of line can and should be smacked down on - we've had many threads in here about that.

Again, out-of-character I fully agree. In character, however, I'd rather just beat That Guy at his (or her) own game....or lose valiantly. :)

Immoralkickass

Adventurer
Folks do not "own" threads on EN World. Please do not order people around like this. If you have an issue, report a post.
Why are you projecting the (likely) a-holeness of the character on to its player? The two aren't always linked.

I've seen awful real-world people play marvellous easy-to-get-along-with team-first characters. I've also seen excellent well-adjusted people play characters that'd make your toes curl.

What happens in character stays in character - it's not that hard to fathom.

Please elaborate.
Because its the same thing, in or out of game. I don't like a-holes, so i don't play with them. My character and my party don't like a-holes, so we won't party with them.
Now get the hell out of my thread.

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
From the sound of it Lanefan's game is one whole table of That Guys. It's great that they can have a fun game together, but it seems like Lane doesn't grok how completely outside the norm his experience is.
In your view we may be a table of That Guys, but somehow adventuring gets done - and has done for a very long time with the same core group.

(the "rookie" player in my current game has "only" been at it for 28 years...)

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
Because its the same thing, in or out of game.
No it isn't, and that's just my point.

I don't like a-holes, so i don't play with them.
This is more than fair. Nobody wants to sit at a table with someone you don't want to be there with.

My character and my party don't like a-holes, so we won't party with them.
Every character? Every party? Every time?

Sounds like your characters and parties don't vary much from one to the next...

And, as I keep coming back to, just because a character's nasty in-game doesn't necessarily mean its player is nasty out of game.

Remove ads