• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Meet the Japanese Iconic D&D Party!

A new 'iconic' pregenerated adventuring party

The Japanese language release of D&D 5E is happening this year, and WotC has created a new 'iconic' pregenerated adventuring party, illustrated by Chomoran, as part of the launch.

D21831CD-69E3-40BD-94DC-7675E193F78A.png

The party consists of:
  • Cal Skiprock, lightfoot halfling rogue
  • Lafail, half-elf cleric of Selune
  • Atria Dawnguard, a human fighter
  • Oldscar, high elf wizard
  • Turalish, dragonborn fighter

Maybe the body proportions aren't right, but today this could be fixed easily thanks photoshop.

I would like D&D could be useful for new and aspiring mangaka to promote their talent. There is a lot of of titles of manga published in Japan. Rivalry can be very fierce. These mangaka also could be useful to promote certain elements within D&D, for example the psionic powers, or later, the martial adepts (crusader, warblade and swordsage).

Blue Orange

Gone to Texas
I read this on TV Tropes, so I'm curious to see if there's anyone with real knowledge of the culture to confirm or deny, but I get the sense realism is just...not a priority in Japanese entertainment? Like there's a much greater tolerance for surrealism and the impossible? If so 'looks cool' might be more important than 'could work as actual armor'.

Strikes me as a defensible position--it's called 'fantasy' after all.

Erdric Dragin

Adventurer
They should have LONG been establishing a market in Japan. Japan is the perfect place for D&D considering their love for Euro-fantasy and RPGs. Their video games were entirely inspired by D&D. I remember the first Final Fantasy having SPELL SLOTS! (and not MP)

Question is, when the hell is WotC going to explore beyond Euro-fantasy? Still have yet to see an Asian-fantasy campaign book. This is the perfect time to redo KARA-TUR!

Kara-tur was created for Western players who were starting to know more about Asian cultures, and the manga had just arrived to Western market.

If you want names and places, you can find it in the Forgotten Realms wiki. Until now almost all metaplot is frozen, stopped or paralyzed. If you want isekai and jianghu, you cand find free manga+manghua+manghwa in internet. Also you could recycle the lore of the RPG "Legends of the five Rings". Even this has got a 5ed adaptation. There are also sourcebooks about Kara-Tur in DMGuild because technically they are within Forgotten Realms. A new unlocking is not necessary.

Other point if is there are plans about a future update of martial adepts(crusader, warblade and swordsage) then D&D jianghu should be designed to allow space for these classes. Or the incarnum game mechanic could be recycled for a new class: the cultivator, based in the xianxia fiction.

* Hasbro has acquired some Japanese IP in the past. It could happen again. A Japanese company could create a new-brand isekai D&D setting with the intention to be acquired by Hasbro.

* Chinese market is too risky and complicated. Even if a Chinese 3PP created from zero a D&D xuanhuan setting for Chinese market and also to be introduced into the Western market to promote the soft power, this could be parodied by Koreans, Japaneses and people from other countries, for example the antagonist would be an invasion of the formians. And let's pray for no more troubles about Taiwan!

Weiley31

Legend
I do low-key did the 5E anime characters for its appearance in Japan. Kinda wish we would get some of that over here for our books.

Remove ads

Remove ads