• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Melee N

Scalding

First Post
Back when PHB 2 came out, one of my players immediately made a greatspear-wielding Warden. She currently has a controlling greatspear, which increases her pull and push effects by 1, and once per encounter can slide instead of pull or push.

At the time, we debated the odd range of Thorn Strike, which has a range of Melee 2, instead of Melee weapon, which most attacks used.

According to the PHB on page 56, under Melee 1, says it can only be used on an adjacent target.

We took that to mean that Thorn Strike could only ever be used at a range of two squares, although the text doesn't really match. The description is just too vague, but looking at Primal Power, we found Mountain's Stature, a warden ability with a range of Melee weapon + 1 reach. This reinforces the belief that Thorn Strike can only be used at a range of 2, irrespective of other abilities which extend his reach (such as the Warden Form of the Oak Sentinel).

It makes sense that Thorn Strike can't be used at Melee 1; where would you pull the enemy to? But, now, it seems that the new MM3 will use Melee N almost exclusively, so this suddenly becomes a more pressing question - Exactly what does Melee N mean? If there is a monster with Melee 2, can it hit a player at range 1? If the monster is affected by something that changes its reach, what effect does this have on its powers?

I remember reading a short while back, an excerpt on WotC's D&D page about some upcoming dragons that were neither metallic nor chromatic in nature, but I can't find it now. Anyway, at the time it struck me as odd that all their attacks were Melee 2 as well. Does anyone know what this really means?

Aulirophile

First Post
As with every other "Range N" ability, it denotes the furthest away you can attack. Range 5 is anything within 5 squares. Melee 2 is anything within 2 squares. The pull doesn't happen, because you cannot satisfy the requirement of moving an adjacent target closer. Damage still happens. The really irritating thing about this is actually, for me, that my Warden has a melee touch reach of 2, but Thorn Strike is still melee 2.

the Jester

Legend
I don't believe the intent is to avoid being able to use one of your at wills on adjacent targets... I think it's saying, "You have a reach of 2 with this power, regardless of your normal reach or weapon's reach capability."

As with every other "Range N" ability, it denotes the furthest away you can attack. Range 5 is anything within 5 squares. Melee 2 is anything within 2 squares. The pull doesn't happen, because you cannot satisfy the requirement of moving an adjacent target closer. Damage still happens.
This.

I don't believe the intent is to avoid being able to use one of your at wills on adjacent targets... I think it's saying, "You have a reach of 2 with this power, regardless of your normal reach or weapon's reach capability."

And this.

Remove ads