D&D 5E Melee sorcerer build

Main reason for this type of build is versatility. Can't get near someone to hit them? Eldritch Blast.

Quickened EBs have been known about since 2014 or so.

Sentinel feat frees up the bonus action and doesn't suck.
Specifically trying to avoid Eldritch blasting. Don't wanna type cast the warlock haha. Main strategy as it is now is to elemental blade up, and go in. Utilizing spells such as Armor of Agathys and Blink to increase survivability. Quicken spelling cantrip attack spells like GFB or BB for a third attack.

Ashrym

Legend
Should clarrify, CHA to elemental weapon is because of dragon soul sorcerer. As long as the types match up I am able to gain the bonus to damage. Feats. are allowed in game.

Sorcerer damage is only "when you cast a spell that..." and doesn't apply to ongoing damage effects. That's the attack action instead of the cast a spell action impacting you. Even if it did, Sage Advice has already ruled that elemental affinity only applies to a single die roll of damage per casting of a spell.

Sorcerer damage is only "when you cast a spell that..." and doesn't apply to ongoing damage effects. That's the attack action instead of the cast a spell action impacting you. Even if it did, Sage Advice has already ruled that elemental affinity only applies to a single die roll of damage per casting of a spell.
DM and I let it roll for the sake of the the character theme and build. The goal was to avoid a blaster but also not just play a paladin. As the party had 2 of those at the time.

Agree with almost everything except the part about Eldritch Blast..... casting EB thru the Pact Weapon bow is like the bow from the Dungeons and Dragon Cartoon.....Hank wasn’t a Ranger in 5e 😜

The Quadratic Fighter factor from having the multiple EB per round plus CHA bonus Via AB invo plus Hex is going to typically out damage the melee option.

Agonizing Blast (for dmg output) and Repelling Blast for Control are solid options..but less melee themed. Booming Blade combined with the stack-ability of Repelling Blast is a strong battlefield control option....combine with a free Disengage action from Haste and you are a worthy skirmisher.

Shadow of Moil (4th level Warlock spell ) is a very good option.

The Warcaster feat is useful. Improved Pact weapon already supersedes the casting spells with hands full bit of the feat, but the rest is great....advantage on Concentration is fantastic, but Booming Blade as an opportunity attack can wreck someone’s turn.

The Arcane Trickster in my group often will have Greater Invis from the Bard, Sneak Attack/ Booming Blade as their action and then reposition for a Sneak Attack/Booming Blade as an Opportunity Attack if the target moves.

The DMG and Control can really add a wrinkle to an encounter. Are you the primary tank or bonus Melee fighter?
Current major set up is use elemental weapon on pact weapon for CHA to dmg. DM let the extra dmg from dragon apply as long as concentration is held. Armor of Agathys and Blink to increase survivability. Not the primary tank, though I do have the 2nd highest health: 141 due to tough feat, dragon sorcerer, and some good rolls. Main goal is to avoid being a blast focus, and I specifically DIDN'T take eldritch blast because of this.

I'll continue with it, however, because I don't find it an issue after getting into the habit of remembering the rule.
People don't remember it, and it violates the KISS rule. You can watch dozens of different D&D streams and see people mess it up over, and over, and over.

This is a slight tangent, but this thread has inspired me to want to make a melee sorcerer sub-class (kinda' like how the Earth Sorcerer was intended to be). Anyone have any suggestions for themes to go with it?

Salthorae

Imperial Mountain Dew Taster
The goal was to avoid a blaster but also not just play a paladin. As the party had 2 of those at the time.

I mean, if you're already ignoring RAW to make the character more powerful in melee, I'm not sure what advice you need from us?

Use Haste, an attack cantrip, use quicken spell with attack cantrips, multiclass to fighter for action surge, pick up feats like Tough, Warcaster, and Sentinel to improve your survivability, flexibility, and capability.

Remove ads