• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Melee vs Ranged weapon attack and damage help

i037

First Post
I'm a 4th edition player trying to learn how to play 3.5e and Pathfinder and I'm confused about how melee, ranged, thrown weapons work. Here's what i've figured out so far

Melee Attack = BAB + Strength mod
Melee Damage = Weapon Die + Strength mod

Thrown Attack = BAB + Dexterity mod
Thrown Damage = Weapon Die + Strength mod
Thrown Crit is always 20/x2(?)

Ranged Attack = BAB + Dexterity mod
Ranged Damage = Weapon Die

Is this correct?

The main thing i'm confused about is whether or not ranged weapons have any modifiers.

Greenfield

Adventurer
Real close.

Crit on a hurled weapon may vary. A thrown Axe is 20/x3, for example.

Ranged attack can include a Strength modifier, depending on the weapon. Composite bows are always built for a specific Strength score, even if that Strength is 10. Trying to fire a bow that's too heavy (i.e. for a higher Strength rating) for the user incurs an attack penalty.

So you can have a "Mighty" bow built for someone with a Strength of 8, meaning that they'll do one point less damage but won't suffer the -4 to hit.

You can also have a Mighty bow made for someone with a Strength of 34. If the user has the Strength to pull that bow they'll fire at no penalty, and at +12 damage.

That same person firing a Mighty bow for an 18 Strength will find it kind of light, but will fire without penalty and will do Arrow damage +4 for Strength.

That help any?

epicbob

Explorer
Long ranges and cover add penalties to your hit chance. Shooting into melee also adds penalties unless you have the proper feat.

Ahnehnois

First Post
The thrown crit is not always 20/x2
Threat range and crit multiplier are determined by the weapon, so see the entry. An improvised weapon is always 20/x2. However, a dagger, which has a range and is a thrown weapon, is 19-20/x2 whether it's used in melee or thrown.

As noted above, ranged damage by default is just the weapon's damage die, but there are exceptions, including mighty bows and various feats and class abilities.

i037

First Post
Real close.

Crit on a hurled weapon may vary. A thrown Axe is 20/x3, for example.

Ranged attack can include a Strength modifier, depending on the weapon. Composite bows are always built for a specific Strength score, even if that Strength is 10. Trying to fire a bow that's too heavy (i.e. for a higher Strength rating) for the user incurs an attack penalty.

So you can have a "Mighty" bow built for someone with a Strength of 8, meaning that they'll do one point less damage but won't suffer the -4 to hit.

You can also have a Mighty bow made for someone with a Strength of 34. If the user has the Strength to pull that bow they'll fire at no penalty, and at +12 damage.

That same person firing a Mighty bow for an 18 Strength will find it kind of light, but will fire without penalty and will do Arrow damage +4 for Strength.

That help any?

That helps a lot. Thanks!

I was wondering what the difference between the regular and composite bows was. I guess i need to learn how to read the weapon descriptions.

I also misread the Thrown Weapon section about crit damage. The 20/x2 only applies to weapons that weren't meant to be thrown.

Remove ads