D&D Movie/TV Michelle Rodriguez, Justice Smith Join D&D Movie

From Comic Book Movies -- "Michelle Rodriguez (Avatar) and Justice Smith (Detective Pikachu) have joined Wonder Woman 1984's Chris Pine in Paramount and eOne's upcoming big-budget board game adaptation, Dungeons & Dragons..." https://www.comicbookmovie.com/fantasy/dungeons-dragons-michelle-rodriguez-and-justice-smith-join-chris-pine-in-fantasy-adaptation-a182313#gs.sfctbx We learned in...

From Comic Book Movies -- "Michelle Rodriguez (Avatar) and Justice Smith (Detective Pikachu) have joined Wonder Woman 1984's Chris Pine in Paramount and eOne's upcoming big-budget board game adaptation, Dungeons & Dragons..."

Michelle_Rodriguez_Cannes_2018_cropped.jpg

We learned in December about Chris Pine's involvement, along with directors Jonathan Goldstein and John Francis Daley.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
Or Conan-land or Hercules-world, as can be seen by the lackluster performances of recent entries in those franchises.
Yeah, honestly I doubt that the kind of world that you have to get into the weeds to see what makes it special are ever gonna have an easy time at the box office. A world like Eberron, or a non-conservative view of FR with occasional airships and a couple floating cities and magical street lamps in Waterdeep, etc, will have a much easier time.

Azzy

ᚳᚣᚾᛖᚹᚢᛚᚠ
I would truly love to have an Eberron movie. There's so many things you could do with it. The magitech would not only be visually appealing, but kind of expected by anyone that's versed in post-Final Fantasy (or many other JRPGs)/anime/modern fantasy. Give it a good story, and it'll be a blast.

Oofta

Legend
I would truly love to have an Eberron movie. There's so many things you could do with it. The magitech would not only be visually appealing, but kind of expected by anyone that's versed in post-Final Fantasy (or many other JRPGs)/anime/modern fantasy. Give it a good story, and it'll be a blast.

I think an advantage of an Eberron movie would be that it would introduce people to the idea that D&D doesn't have to be pseudo-medieval.

The risk is that it wouldn't meet people's expectations of a standard D&D pseudo-medieval world.

There does not actually appear to be anything obviously magical about the Hogwarts Express. It's powered by steam. The platform is magical, but the train isn't.
That's the kind of attempted pedantry the keeps people coming back to the internet. As a bonus, it's wrong:

"Originally steam fitted by the Muggles who built it, the Hogwarts Express later ran exclusively on magic."

I guess they don't give any prizes for attempted pedantry.

Yeah, like the Legend reviews are just asinine. The acting is spot on, the visuals are gorgeous, the creatures are evocative, the tone of the movie is perfect in it's evocation of fairy tale and the beauty and terrible danger of the magical and fey, it's just an absolute treasure of a movie, that because it's weird and earnest and didn't have cute muppets in it, got panned, and snobs like to hate on it.
Woo this is pretty internet-think too!

"Snobs hate the movie by the extremely respected director with the big budget, expensive visual design and the popular and respected actors."

On what planet mate? No. I've seen Legend. Twice even. It's a terrible. It has no plot to speak of, the dialogue is trite, the pacing is awful and doesn't even feel "dreamlike" or something, just sophomoric. The reason people prefer The Dark Crystal and Labyrinth is that they're good movies that actually speak to people, not that they have muppets in! Legend was just an early preview of how awful some of Ridley Scott's ideas were (c.f. Prometheus), no matter how good a cinematographer he is.

The real test is the audience - and the audience, "the common man" - does not like Legend. That's why nobody talks about it fondly today. Because it's not good. It's by Ridley Scott, it's got Tom Cruise and Tim Curry in it. Music by Tangerine Dream. People have every reason to re-watch and re-appraise it. But when they do, they find "Oh, it's still a crap movie...". I watched it in like 1999, fully expecting it to be good and me to have just been an edgy teenager when I first saw - largely because it had Tangerine Dream music, so how could it be a bad movie? It was still a bad movie. I enjoyed the visual design. I enjoyed the music. But that's it.

Claim it's "snobs" keeping it down is just some logical fallacy naughty word, because no matter how un-snobby someone is, if they don't like your dreadful movie, they're "snobs". It's circular thinking.

I don't think any modern audience needs "lotr meets indiana jones meets guardians of the galaxy" explained to them.
Exactly.

Last edited:

That's the kind of attempted pedantry the keeps people coming back to the internet. As a bonus, it's wrong:

"Originally steam fitted by the Muggles who built it, the Hogwarts Express later ran exclusively on magic."

That is nice and all, but if this is only mentioned in the books, then I have never seen that, as I have only watched the movies.

doctorbadwolf

I guess they don't give any prizes for attempted pedantry.

Woo this is pretty internet-think too!

"Snobs hate the movie by the extremely respected director with the big budget, expensive visual design and the popular and respected actors."

On what planet mate? No. I've seen Legend. Twice even. It's a terrible. It has no plot to speak of, the dialogue is trite, the pacing is awful and doesn't even feel "dreamlike" or something, just sophomoric. The reason people prefer The Dark Crystal and Labyrinth is that they're good movies that actually speak to people, not that they have muppets in! Legend was just an early preview of how awful some of Ridley Scott's ideas were (c.f. Prometheus), no matter how good a cinematographer he is.

The real test is the audience - and the audience, "the common man" - does not like Legend. That's why nobody talks about it fondly today. Because it's not good. It's by Ridley Scott, it's got Tom Cruise and Tim Curry in it. Music by Tangerine Dream. People have every reason to re-watch and re-appraise it. But when they do, they find "Oh, it's still a crap movie...". I watched it in like 1999, fully expecting it to be good and me to have just been an edgy teenager when I first saw - largely because it had Tangerine Dream music, so how could it be a bad movie? It was still a bad movie. I enjoyed the visual design. I enjoyed the music. But that's it.

Claim it's "snobs" keeping it down is just some logical fallacy naughty word, because no matter how un-snobby someone is, if they don't like your dreadful movie, they're "snobs". It's circular thinking.

Exactly.
Edit: A rule I think is backward and wrong is still a rule.

Snobbery will always find a way to justify itself, I guess. 🤷‍♂️

Last edited:

doctorbadwolf

because no matter how un-snobby someone is, if they don't like your dreadful movie, they're "snobs". It's circular thinking.
To be very clear, I’m not saying that your point of view is snobbish because you dislike a movie I like. I have nothing to say to you over Krull, for instance, which is perfectly fun and certainly not “godawful” by any reasonable measure, but everything about how you describe both movies and actors is painfully elitist.

I don’t blame anyone for disliking the first D&D movie. It’s a “dumb” adventure movie that wouldn’t be out of place as a sci-fi channel movie. But it’s entirely possible to dislike any movie without snobbery, and you instead choose to belittle people and talk about movies like you’ve earned some sort of pedestal from which to preach about what is or isn’t quality cinema. 🤢

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Mod Note:
I feel a trembling in the Force... a trembling of... people willing to be rude to each other to score points...

Folks, roll that dial back about 5 notches, or someone's going to have issues really soon.

Zardnaar

Legend
Expectations low.
Hopeful. Fun popcorn movie.

Personally I don't think the wider population cares that much for a D&D movie. They might care if it's a suitably fun fantasy movie.

Not expecting early GoT or LotR quality.

Remove ads

Remove ads