D&D Movie/TV Michelle Rodriguez, Justice Smith Join D&D Movie

From Comic Book Movies -- "Michelle Rodriguez (Avatar) and Justice Smith (Detective Pikachu) have joined Wonder Woman 1984's Chris Pine in Paramount and eOne's upcoming big-budget board game adaptation, Dungeons & Dragons..."

Michelle_Rodriguez_Cannes_2018_cropped.jpg

We learned in December about Chris Pine's involvement, along with directors Jonathan Goldstein and John Francis Daley.

ThevD&D movie isn't really for us though not is it arguing about what is D&D.

It's going to be made to appeal to the masses. Mystara doesn't have mass appeal anymore.

It's probably generic or FR. It's not going to be set on Mystara it's probably not going to be Eberron. It won't be Darksun or Planescape.

It won't be a MtG setting. It probably won't have a Warforged protagonist or any other race that requires heavy CGI.

That's all imho if they do any of that I'll freely admit I'm wrong.
And the thing people keep forgetting: it's being made in Ireland, so it will probably look like Ireland.

Zardnaar

Legend
And the thing people keep forgetting: it's being made in Ireland, so it will probably look like Ireland.

CGI exists but yeah I think they'll skip athat as much as possible.

GoT filmed some scenes in Ireland, LotR used NZ so it's not going to be CGI heavy relative to Star Wars or MCU.

IDK what the budget will be but doubt it's 200 million. Adjusted for inflation I hope it's more than the original D&D movie.

CGI exists but yeah I think they'll skip athat as much as possible.

GoT filmed some scenes in Ireland, LotR used NZ so it's not going to be CGI heavy relative to Star Wars or MCU.

IDK what the budget will be but doubt it's 200 million. Adjusted for inflation I hope it's more than the original D&D movie.
The Belfast studies are known for their practical effects and detailed props. They aren't particularly known for digital effects. It's likely another studio will do the digital stuff in post-production, but it suggests they wont be taking the digital set approach for principal photography.

As for GoT, Westeros exteriors where mostly Ireland locations, and most of the interior filming was done at the Belfast studios. Malta and Iceland locations where used for exterior locations that where warmer/colder than Ireland.

Last edited:

Zardnaar

Legend
The Belfast studies are known for their practical effects and detailed props. They aren't particularly known for digital effects. It's likely another studio will do the digital stuff in post-production, but it suggests they wont be taking the digital set approach for principal photography.

As for GoT, Westeros exteriors where mostly Ireland locations, and most of the interior filming was done at the Belfast studios. Malta and Iceland locations where used for exterior locations that where warmer/colder than Ireland.

Sometimes less is more when it comes to digitel effects.

Zardnaar

Legend
I can not imagine a version of this movie that doesn't have a fully stocked CGI budget. That's just not how feature films are made anymore.

It will use CGIof course.

But compare with Star Wars or MCU where even the back grounds are CGI along with some character's.

That's very expensive though 200 million dollars or more plus marketing.

I'm expecting them to CGI things they have to. LotR was made on a show string budget relative to most movies now (they got a trilogy comparatively on the cheap).

I'd be a lot happier to hear about the inclusion of some people who know that D&D isn't a board game... How about a few WotC creative D&D team people, or Ed Greenwood? At least they would have a clue!

Oofta

Legend
I'd be a lot happier to hear about the inclusion of some people who know that D&D isn't a board game... How about a few WotC creative D&D team people, or Ed Greenwood? At least they would have a clue!

Huh? That's ... quite out of left field. There are a lot of creative types that either play or grew up playing D&D. I'm also sure that WOTC D&D team is collaborating and advising, why would think they are not?

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
The writer/director, John Francis Daley, is a huge D&D nerd. I think we're good on that. He recently said in an interview, "Daley: I also play a weekly game of Dungeons & Dragons which has now become Zoom games. That is also a fun way to keep your foot in that world as you are writing a movie about it."

The other partner, Goldstein, also said, "We are working with the Wizards of the Coast, the brand holders of D&D. They are the experts. We have people there that we work with and it's pretty helpful, because as much as we know about D&D, it's a drop in the bucket compared to the 45 years of lore that's out there, so these guys are such a resource. If we need a particular spell that a [high]-level wizard could do, they could give us a list. It's a lot of fun.

Remove ads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases