D&D 5E Misty Step in manacles?

Gwarok

Explorer
I would say hoping that mundane manacles would be much use in restraining someone who can teleport with a mere word is a bit optimistic. I would rule that the caster can take them or leave them.

Oofta

Legend
Alternative of course is to blindfold anyone you suspect could be a spellcaster. Only take the blindfold off when you're in a small room with lots of guards.

Or Dimensional Shackles for everyone. :)

GlassJaw

Hero
Great stuff in here everyone - thanks for the help.

I'll just add the caster in question is an enemy wizard. A player put him to sleep with a good roll at the end of last session. They want to interrogate him and are discussing how to prevent him from casting. They don't know he has Misty Step.

My first thought was to have him teleport with manacles on. I like the idea of him teleporting and the manacles falling to the ground but I don't want to spring something on the players that feels unfair. Perhaps I will describe what happens and then roll an Arcana check in the open to see if he can escape the manacles.

jaelis

Oh this is where the title goes?
Well that's a different issue really. If the players need to interrogate him, then I'd just let them, no reason for escaping to come up. If you don't want them to interrogate him, then let him misty step to someplace where he is safe, regardless of the manacles.

If getting to interrogate him is meant to be the challenge, then I would let him teleport out of the manacles (they should have taken precautions against spell casting), but not have anyplace safe in range he can get to, so they have a decent chance to recapture him.

MarkB

Legend
The spell doesn't specify. Personally I think the way that makes the most sense is that the caster chooses what teleports with them.

Which certainly makes it much less of a chore to undress at bedtime. Also a great solution to being hit with Heat Metal while wearing armour.

Yardiff

Adventurer
Teleporting out of restraints is a pretty standard fantasy (and sci fi) trope.

While this is true its also true that teleporting away while still restrained and having to find away to remove said restraints afterward is also a common trope.

Corpsetaker

First Post

I'll just add the caster in question is an enemy wizard. A player put him to sleep with a good roll at the end of last session. They want to interrogate him and are discussing how to prevent him from casting. They don't know he has Misty Step.

My first thought was to have him teleport with manacles on. I like the idea of him teleporting and the manacles falling to the ground but I don't want to spring something on the players that feels unfair. Perhaps I will describe what happens and then roll an Arcana check in the open to see if he can escape the manacles.

Or you could make it actually interesting and have the Wizard teleport still wearing the manacles and now he has to find a way to actually get them off.

Lanliss

Explorer

Sounds like a perfect chase scene. Have him misty step twice, if he can, putting him a good way off from the players, but still in his handcuffs. Now he has to run, possibly needing to make acrobatics checks now and then to not fall over. Give your players a good chance of catching him, as is only fair, but don't feed it to them by any means. If he is intelligent enough to escape, let him. I would personally run him to the highest level of my ability, pulling all of the clever tricks I could think of if I were a player with the same spell list. Fireball a tree branch to block the path behind me, charm Person on the fighter, and have him hold the path for me. Maybe even only Misty step once, if I know I can do it twice, that way i have a teleport for if a chasm comes up that I need to cross.

Also remember that, intelligent as he may be, he will probably be desperate. He might not hesitate to jump into a river with his hands bound, if he thinks it gives him a better chance of surviving than getting caught will. If he is dedicated enough to whatever they want to interrogate him about, he may throw himself off a cliff to avoid giving anything away.

Sounds like a perfect chase scene. Have him misty step twice, if he can, putting him a good way off from the players, but still in his handcuffs. Now he has to run, possibly needing to make acrobatics checks now and then to not fall over.

Sounds to me like you could turn this into a fantastic, and hilarious chase. Just imagine all the things a wizard can do with his magic to try to shake off his pursuers.

Lanliss

Explorer
Sounds to me like you could turn this into a fantastic, and hilarious chase. Just imagine all the things a wizard can do with his magic to try to shake off his pursuers.

I can't even fathom all the possibilities. I would need to know the full spell list, and the terrain, to get really creative.

Remove ads