D&D 5E MM Preview: Cambion

steeldragons

Steeliest of the dragons
Epic
Somebody over there has a real fetish for tails...cuz the horns on the head, the yellow eyes, apple red skin and...oh! Are those wings? Nearly didn't notice those!

Mmmm...something's missing. It needs...something. I'm just not getting the "half-fiend"...it doesn't have that "demon spawn" je ne sais quoi.

I KNOW! A tail! YES! That really sells it! Now I get he's a half-demon.

[...and yeah. It's pretty obviously, to me, a "he."]

Quickleaf

Legend
An interesting thing about their disguise abilities (alter self 3/day): Alter self only lasts for an hour. Books on fiendish lore or educated PCs might reveal that a cambion cannot maintain its false guise for longer than 3 hours. I imagine in D&D 5e worlds that clergy would enact a 3-hour holding policy if they suspected someone of being a cambion in disguise. After 3 hours if they haven't changed then you are in the clear.....or in for a nasty surprise if they turn out to be a succubus/incubus!

bganon

Explorer
Interesting.
Not super scary (excepting Fiendish Charm), but about what you'd expect. I feel like scale mail is an odd choice given its stealth proficiency, when studded leather yields the same AC without the disadvantage.
Although there's something to be said for the more menacing mental image of scale mail.

Not super scary on offense, maybe, but look at those defenses. AC 19, all saves good except Wis, resistances out the wazoo, and 82 hp. A level 5 party will have their hands full bringing this guy down, especially if they don't all have magic weapons yet, and over several rounds those multiattacks might add up.

Definitely an early-game miniboss.

Last edited:

Pentegarn

First Post
Hmmm. The art looks like it'd be more at home in a comic book than a RPG sourcebook. But it does look better by leaps and bounds than the art of the past couple of editions that used those lame arsed eyebrow horns that looked so silly. Proper horns, definitely a step in the right direction.

rjfTrebor

Banned
Banned
Oh No, it's a fiend from the lower planes, a creature born of hate and evil. Oh, nevermind, it's just a guy in a fishnet wifebeater and some sick tribals. Brah.

Remove ads