MMORPG madness!

Ranger REG

Explorer
Oh no! It's a "me too" post!!!

I just want to chime to say that I agree with KenM. If there is a dark side to the mainstream, it is their insatiable hunger for pay-2-play MMORPGs.

Sorry, but I'm not going to get suckered in by this nefarious scheme.

Dugite

First Post
Having played a mmorg and fiddled around with never winter nights.
The mmorg is a far more satisfying experience.
They have their limitations eg normally you cant cheat so you have to more or less play a while before you can become powerful.
Never winter nights is all right in its limited way.
However when you look at it ,its just a limited tabletop session at its best.
It doesnt even touch a decent traditional roleplaying session at any time.
At its worst it doesnt work well at all .

A mmorg is maintained by a company and the sheer effort of keeping it going has to be paid for you cannot get away from it.
To get an immersive world where people can relatively do what they like when they like and have it around when they come back
it an unbelieveable undertaking.

Eg in everquest for example when you can get over 60 people together to slay a dragon. chat and laugh at other mistakes enjoy
the company of other people from many parts of the world. Its an unique experience that only a mmorg can offer at the moment.
sure they do get old and you get sick of them as i have,
and yes you meet rude people and can get cheated etc but thats life.

A good table top experience is the best form of roleplaying but unless your a pirate you have to "SUBSCRIBE" to rule books ,source books, third party matertial and then RESUBSCRIBE when patch comes out labled 3.5e
IT all costs it always has since i started d&d in 1978:p

KenM

Banned
Banned
Felon said:
KenM, on an unrelated note, may I ask why your signature lists your PC specs? Just curious.

I see other people doing it on other fourms, so I said "what the heck". I just read at gamespot that the shadowbane MMORPG servers got hacked, so much for "no cheating" with the securty you get with MMORPG's, you can stop cheating in NWN, just turn on the filters and password the server, that way you don't play with idoits.

Last edited:

Dreeble

First Post
My thoughts

Heya:

World of Warcraft: I'm also way looking forward to this one. I like the graphical style (mildly cartoony, like the games) and the feeling of "size" from some of the screenshots. Also, some of the developers have played Everquest and I'm hoping they will be able to steal the good stuff (killing monsters and taking their stuff) while avoiding the bad stuff (having to camp monsters so you can kill the right one and take its stuff).

The Matrix Online: I know virtually nothing about this game, except that to "properly" simulate the movies, it seems to me it would need a game that requires dexterity from the player. I have pretty atrocious dexterity, sadly.

Middle Earth Online: They tried doing this once and the project died. It'd be great if this could succeed, but that past failure, plus the equation "development cost minus license cost = game quality" bodes ill, in my opinion.

Star Wars Galaxies: I _was_ looking forward to this one, of course. But then I kept reading about distressing things that make me think the developers want me to play the game _exactly_ according to their Vision. I didn't like that attitude in EQ, either. Also, I hate Item Decay. I want to kill monsters and take their stuff and I don't want my stuff to fade over time.

Dungeons & Dragons Online: This is way too far off in the distance to even be a pipe dream. I'm not calling it vaporware, but assuming the developers think it'll be ready 2005 means early 2006 is more likely. I'm betting they incorporate 4th edition rules.

Take care,
Dreeble

Dark Jezter

First Post
Re: My thoughts

Dreeble said:
The Matrix Online: I know virtually nothing about this game, except that to "properly" simulate the movies, it seems to me it would need a game that requires dexterity from the player. I have pretty atrocious dexterity, sadly.

From what I've heard, the combat system in The Matrix Online will be something like this: When you engage in martial arts combat with an opponent, you each select a fighting style. Certain fighting styles will work better against other fighting styles, so it works a little bit like "Paper, Rock, Scissors". As your character levels up, they'll gain access to more fighting styles, as well as becoming generally tougher to beat in combat.

And the Matrix just wouldn't be the Matrix without Agents. One game site asked the developers of The Matrix Online if Agents would be in the game, and the developer replied by saying that Agents will be similar to dragons in fantasy-themed MMORPGS: Unless you have a very high-level character, you'll almost certainly die if you try to fight them. :D

Ranger REG

Explorer
Dugite said:

A good table top experience is the best form of roleplaying but unless your a pirate you have to "SUBSCRIBE" to rule books ,source books, third party matertial and then RESUBSCRIBE when patch comes out labled 3.5e
IT all costs it always has since i started d&d in 1978:p
Don't have to. Either you make your own patch (houserules) or accept the rules as it is.

Then again, there is that Revised SRD that is coming out.

You should be able to get at least 5 years of enjoyment with the current ruleset, maybe more. Plus you don't have to be a programmer to "debug" the PnP rules, or create "mods".

Big_Daddy

First Post
Give NeoCron A Try

Hey Everyone,

If you want something a little different, try NeoCron. It's a MMORPG, but it's got a cyberpunk setting. Loads of fun, pretty cheap on the shelf, I paid $25 for the CD, and it's run by a couple of guys in Germany. There are dedicated English language servers and never more than 2-300 players on any one server at a time.

www.neocron.com

Go check it out. :D

John Crichton

First Post
The only one I am looking forward to is Star Wars Galaxies. They are REALLY working their butts off to make a fun game that can appeal to the die-hard and casual player. It may not work out exactly that way but the effort is certainly there. :)

Shard O'Glase

First Post
I'm cheesed at galaxies I don't like being promised the stars andonly get delivered the dirt.

If you can't deliver it just shut up. Once something is in the game then speak.

SOE is hardly unique in this but it still cheeses me off.

John Crichton

First Post
Shard O'Glase said:
I'm cheesed at galaxies I don't like being promised the stars andonly get delivered the dirt.

If you can't deliver it just shut up. Once something is in the game then speak.

SOE is hardly unique in this but it still cheeses me off.
I don't understand...

If you are mad about the release date getting pushed back, so be it but in the end it's all for a better product. If it takes them another year to get it right I'm willing to wait. They have already made leaps and bounds so far, IMO.

Remove ads