• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Moderators - Please, lock this thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mark

CreativeMountainGames.com
Ashrem Bayle said:
Yea. Thats what I plan to do. However, in the scene in question, he wasn't doing anything specific. He was just looking around.

I could have said:

Shade slips through the crowd of people, quickly running his eyes over them, searching for their coin.

[Search Check]

Seeing the fat merchant he slips up behind him and follows for a few paces to make sure he isn't being watched.

[Search or Spot Check]

Slipping a dagger from his sleave he quickly catches up to the merchant and bumps his shoulder as he attemptes to cut his purse strings. He does this as someone approaches from his other side so that it appears that he brushes him while trying to avoid the other person.

[Pick Pocket Check]

"Excuse me sir. I seem to be a tad more clumsy then usual today." he says as he deftly tucks the purse away.

[Bluff chack maybe, but I beleive this is part of the Pick Pocket check. Especially since you get a synergy bonus to Pick Pocket from 5 ranks in Bluff.]

I think that is what Mark wants for something like a Pick Pocket attempt. But when your just looking around for nothing in particular, how detailed can you be?

If you want me to roll a Search, post that you are Searching, otherwise I will roll Spot checks when things necessitate them.

Lichtenhart said:
Mark, if you don't mind, I'll keep this username and I'll show the stats as my new sig, because continually log in/log out isn't handy at all.

I think it is useful to keep track of spells (3** mean I've already cast two of them), hps (4/10) and some modifier, while we keep equipment and treasure on the other thread.

Good idea!:)

Works for me! :)

Jack Haggerty said:
By the way, Mark...

Is it a bother to you, if we add in details (that don't really affect the game) you may have left out?

Giving Ponulia's father and the longshoremen names, for example...

I'd rather you didn't. You do not know the fellows at the warehouse, or if you did, I would give them names. If I forget to give a name of someone I've obviously should have given (like the father ;) , and this is my fault because I set the precedent by forgetting to give you the father's name) , please just remind me or call him Ponulia's Father in this case, I suppose. :D (Just OOC remind me, please.) It works out in his case, because he is a "Chandler", so calling him that is fine ( ; ) but his actual name is Zelper, owner of The Chubby Chandler... :) I'll be giving you a bit more info on the town very soon but the folks working at the warehouse are not from your circle, nor are they regular business folks that you would likely know.

Jack Haggerty

First Post
Mark said:

I'd rather you didn't. You do not know the fellows at the warehouse, or if you did, I would give them names. If I forget to give a name of someone I've obviously should have given (like the father ;) , and this is my fault because I set the precedent by forgetting to give you the father's name) , please just remind me or call him Ponulia's Father in this case, I suppose. :D (Just OOC remind me, please.) It works out in his case, because he is a "Chandler", so calling him that is fine ;) but his actual name is Zelper, owner of The Chubby Chandler... :) I'll be giving you a bit more info on the town very soon but the folks working at the warehouse are not from your circle, nor are they regular business folks that you would likely know.

Not a problem... It's something I'm used to (innocuously helping out the DM), and sometimes do without thinking about it. Too used to DMing, I guess... I figured I'd check before I took it any farther.

Oh, and to tell the truth, I called him Chandler for nearly that exact reason... :) And I thought he might know the longshoreman from taking his "rounds" as a guard, or maybe from prior searches for a Drunken Mr. Zelper.

I'll know better next time, and will edit the dockyard post... And I'll work very hard at letting the DM DM. :p

So....

Arim walks down the street casually scanning the people in hopes of seeing an obvious target.

Is that a Spot check or a Search check?

If the wording is a problem, how should I have worded it?

Mark

Shade - The Rogue said:
So....

Arim walks down the street casually scanning (SEARCHING) the people in hopes of seeing an obvious (TO WHO?) target.

Is that a Spot check or a Search check?

If the wording is a problem, how should I have worded it?

You are actively trying to see something, therefore "Searching" for targets. You will never need to use the word "Spot" to describe a roll. Always use the term "Search" because as soon as it is you making the call that a roll is needed, it is no longer "Spotting", it then becomes "Searching".

"Obvious" is a nebulus term. Use specific words. If you wish to look for something, try to describe the type(s) of things you wish to find. Not knowing you very well prevents me from determining what you consider "Obvious".

Bottom line, don't use the word "Spot" and try to be more specific when you are trying to find something until I know you better.

turtle

First Post
i haven't been on for two or three days... easter vacation friends form out of town yadda yadda. I'll be on now at least once or twice a day...

Mark

turtle said:
i haven't been on for two or three days... easter vacation friends form out of town yadda yadda. I'll be on now at least once or twice a day...

No problem, turtle. I hope that you didn't think it was an idictment. :) As you can tell from my posting, I'm not in this for the speed... ;)

turtle

First Post
I'm working on changing my sig right now

now how do i make this farkin thing small like yours??

sdf

ahh

Last edited:

Lichtenhart

First Post
He stands patiently expecting further questions and the two party members notice a pendent of wood hanging from the leather thong about his neck. The crossed swords and shield of Darien the Guardian, Danmor's Faith, peeks out them between the laces of his shirt born on a simple, peasant's ward.

Mark, is this supposed to mean something particular or only that he is a follower of Darien? Just to be sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads