• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Module Layout: what's important to you?

Kzach

Banned
Banned
I, like many others, would like to publish a module.

I have a lot of material created and I even have what I feel is a unique spin on module design, as well as a few new system mechanics that I honestly feel will be a major selling point.

But like many others, I've never done this before. If I was to follow the layout and design principles of other modules, this would be much, much easier. So for me, a key hurdle is to simply come up with the layout. I find myself somewhat stumped with 'layout block'.

Part of the reason I feel a need to depart from the module layouts of the past is that I've seen a lot of criticism levelled at such layouts. People can be so mean.

So I figured it would make for a good conversation point. As a consumer, what aspects of previous module layouts have you liked and what aspects would you like to see in future modules? Help us budding authors kick-start our creative gearboxes so that you can benefit from better module layout. Tell us what you want!

Last edited:

Dice4Hire

First Post
I would like the page to flow from story, to details to encounter or PCs/monsters. And I would like each page to follow a similar layout, so I can easily find the information I want.

With many WOTC modules, the map, the monsters and details are scattered over the page in different places on each set of 2. pages.

It is like they asked the artist where they would like the artwork to sit, and then threw darts for the rest of it.

I would especially like if each section were coded in some way, by color, or border or placement (like I said above) so it is easy to know what section has what information.

Blackbrrd

First Post
I find it annoying to switch back and forth between encounters and story like it has been done in the WotBS series. The encounters should have close enough ties to the story that it doesn't make sense having them in an appendix.

I like the format where each encounter takes one page or two pages that can be viewed at the same time.

PS
The title is a little misleading, it should say something like "Module layout", not design, as that is what you are asking about in the post.

PPS
For interesting module/encounter design you can look at WotBS. Just about every encounter has different resolution methods, consequences and information regarding the module that the player can discover. This is SO much better design than a long background at the start of the module which only the DM is ever going to read.

Coldwyn

First Post
I prefer some things in a module:
- I like it when crunsh is not scattered throughout the module, for example when some creatures use new feat A and Feat A is only printed in the first encounter, same holds true for items and monster types.
- I like good visual indicatores what is read-aloud text, what is text only availlable after certain checks are made, and so on.
- I prefer up front information to sidebars. I rather read some pages about how the upcoming encounters are supposed to work instead of reading the same information again and again in the encounter or as scattered sidebars.

Jan van Leyden

Adventurer
I prefer the pertinent details of an encounter to be concentrated in one place, not scattered through the whole adventure. Yes, I do think WotC's Delve has its advantages. :) The perfect solution for me would be an electronic document shown in two windows: one for the text part, the other for the encounter description.

For longer adventures, please give us a DM's checklist: mark off the plot points reached, make a note on the outcome of some situation, reaction of a NSC to the characters - stuff like this, which may easily become lost in the note shuffle.

For adventures with lots of named NSCs I want a list of those NSCs with a shorthand description (personality, quirks, goals) and a page reference to the full description.

Use cross-references within the adventure, lots of cross-references, and use page numbers for the references.

Collect crunch-stuff and your new mechanics in a separate chapter in the back of the module.

Personally, I'm looking for a cool plot, variability, and interesting sites in this order. Please present the plot early in the text and present it completely, so that I can read up on it and reference it easily without thumbing or clicking through lots of pages.

As you can see I want some help for my DMing tasks. I'd rather have the author compiling the listable stuff than me having to do it.

Chainsaw

Banned
Banned
You could always..

a) create a PDF in a couple different formats (maybe one with all the monster stats throughout and another with them all in the back).

b) publish a word doc (along with the PDF) that would allow people to rearrange data to their taste or add personalized notes or adjustments for house rules.

Gilladian

Adventurer
I would KILL for an easily editable format. For example, right now I'm using WLD section B as a standalone dungeon. I've chpped the map into pieces, re-arranged them, added caves and caverns, and inserted an extra storyline that suits my PCs. I've ended up using all sorts of "sticky notes" and drawn red x's over altered text. And I still have to have a second document with new material in it.

This makes things a bit confusing, to say the least. I ALWAYS do this, with every module I use. It's just the way I work. Sometimes it's done by hand, sometimes on computer.

Having an easy-to-edit electronic document would be SOOOO happy-making for me.

Remove ads