• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Monk Questions -- Monks belt & touch attacks

MrCharm

Community Supporter
I have a couple questions for the group here. I have an 18th level monk with a Monk's belt, so for combat he is essentially 23rd level, correct? I believe the AC & Unarmed attack damage progression would continue in the same "steps" above level 20 as the rest of the chart, or this magic item becomes more and more useless over time. What do you think?

Also, I have a particular special ability that grants me the ability to do significant damage to all things that I touch, or that touch me during a round. Can I convert all my normal attacks into multiple "touch" attacks, say for a creature that has a low touch AC, but a high DR/normal AC?

Darkness

Hand and Eye of Piratecat [Moderator]
Check out the epic monk progression (DMG, p.208). AC increases further, damage does not.

MeiRen

First Post
1. Float the idea to your GM, see what he thinks. I'd allow it, but most people would say "no, there you get into epic progressions, and the monk's ability doesn't get better in epic progressions."

2. That's an interesting one. I'd say just punching someone is touching and so triggers the effect, but I dunno. "touch attack" has a very specific definition in d20.

Sithobi1

First Post
You can make an unarmed attack to deliver a touch spell, but if you have something else, you would have to check the rules for the effect yourself, or post what it is here.

Doctor Shaft

First Post
Also, I have a particular special ability that grants me the ability to do significant damage to all things that I touch, or that touch me during a round. Can I convert all my normal attacks into multiple "touch" attacks, say for a creature that has a low touch AC, but a high DR/normal AC?

By the rules... no. A monk's "Flurry of Blows" attack progression is only valid when using unarmed strikes or valid monk weapons like the kama, quarterstaff.

For instance, by the rules, a monk should not be able to do five trip attacks, but instead only 3 (rogue BAB).

By the rules, a monk should only be able to do 3 touch attacks.

Granted, I think that ruling is kind of stupid, in that it means a monk, at least in 3.5, has less attacks than any of the other "warrior" classes, and it means that a monk only excels at "punching alot"... which as we all know is NOT what a monk excels at. Of course, using outside sources for feats, you can bypass this (check out Oriental Adventures. They have feats in there that let you damage with an unarmed strike, THEN immediately get to roll for a successful grapple... no touch attack needed).

In 3.0, monks got 5 attacks by default (so long as they weren't using weapons that coudln't be flurried), and 6 if they chose to use flurry of blows (I think). Hence, in 3.0 this was never really an issue, because monks were given a totally different, special kind of BAB progression. 3.5 strengthened the usefulness of Flurry of Blows, but also completely nerfed a monks ability, at least towards the later levels, to do other things.

I would house rule that a monk may use flurry of blows attack progression for special "attacks" so long as it is within the monk's repoirtore of weaponry. (ie.- I wouldn't allow a monk to do 5 trip attacks with a 10' reach chain... as that's not within the monk weaponry list... even if they take martial proficiency for it).

Legildur

First Post
Doctor Shaft said:
By the rules... no. A monk's "Flurry of Blows" attack progression is only valid when using unarmed strikes or valid monk weapons like the kama, quarterstaff.

For instance, by the rules, a monk should not be able to do five trip attacks, but instead only 3 (rogue BAB).
Except when using a kama.......

Doctor Shaft

First Post
Uh... well, yeah, I guess. Only, I think even then, it has to be a "Flurry of Blows" i.e. strikes, not special attacks... but then again no one argues that you can't use stunning fist with Flurry of Blows.

In the end, I wish WoTC was much more clear about this issue. I have a feeling that most people simply look at the rules and say:

"Look, your monk has flurry of blows... it's your only real class advantage that let's you fight... everything else is pretty much supplementary... just exploit it to your hearts content, provided it's within the monk's class proficiencies."

Lasher Dragon

First Post
Personally I think it would be ridiculous to deny a monk touch attacks as a flurry. Now I now this may not be quite what you have in mind, but I can perfectly visualize a monk doing 5-6 pressure-point strikes lightning-fast, which by themselves may or may not do damage, but instead may cause other unpleasant effects. (Yes, I know the whole pressure-point thing may not be in the RAW, but damn it sure would make a cool PrC!) Anyone who has watched good ol' kung fu flicks has surely seen something similar.

MrCharm

Community Supporter
Thanks for all the answers. Makes sense to me that converting them to touch attacks should be on a 1 for 1 basis, or all one way or the other. I just hope my DM sees it that way. ;)

Remove ads