D&D 5E (More) ruminations on the future of D&D

ThirdWizard

First Post
By "online roleplaying" are you talking about MMOs or play-by-post? Because I wouldn't include the former in what we're talking about, which is "tabletop RPGs."

I'm not talking about video games. I mean stuff like PbP, virtual tabletops, Skype, Google Hangouts, and other forms of electronic play. I'm also not talking about "freeform" roleplaying (in case anyone thinks I am) because lets pretend has been going on since time immemorial.

Anyhow, I think you're right that the hobby is far more diversified now, with a wealth of options - games of anything you could possible imagine. This is partially due to the "Indie Revolution" of the last 15-20 years. But in terms of total number of people playing tabletop RPGs? The early to mid 80s still represents the high water mark, when D&D was not only a household name but in many, if not most, middle class American (white) homes.

There's no doubt that D&D was more talked about in the '80s, but I think that had less to do with people playing the game and more to do with the satanic accusation. I know I had to defend myself more than once and hide any of my D&D stuff when relatives were around. That is to say, I don't know that the household name that D&D had actually corresponded to people playing the game.

I do think nostalgia has a lot to do with it, at least for myself. But again, we're talking about total numbers. I don't think the rumors can really be backed up, but allegedly there were about 20 million D&D players at the high point in the 80s, which dwindled down to 5-6 million by the late 90s, according to a Ryan Dancey survey. I remember reading an article from the early 00s that said there were 3-4 million D&D players.

Now? Who knows. But I'm fairly certain there aren't 20 million.

I'm pretty positive that 20 million was a lifetime number of players since its first release, and that was including several years of 3e in those figures. It wasn't peak players at any one time. I'm not going to guess what the peak number at any given time was, but you can be reasonably sure it was significantly lower than 20 million.

Hang on - so you're claiming millions people play free story RPGs. Millions. Okay. If you say so.

I guess I'm giving mixed messages there. I'm saying two things:

• Sales metrics can't be used to determine number of players. In addition to games people have been buying for years, there are now many free options. Lots of people play, for example, Savage Worlds who never bought it and play off of the free PDF. Or Dungeon World off the gazetteer. Or D&D 2e that they bought thirty(!) years ago!
  • Dungeons and Dragons is not the alpha and omega of roleplaying games, especially when it comes to online play. It is much easier to find like minded people who want to play niche games online. If I wanted a group to play Window or Star Trek FASA I could probably do so. So, you can't just use D&D sales as the metric for how many people are gaming.

And, even a few million players isn't that high a bar when you're talking about worldwide these days. Especially for an essentially free hobby in the information age.

BryonD

Hero
Yes, I think your perspective is accurate, although the whole notion of a "greying market" means that the bulk of players, the "center of gravity" if you will, is aging. That is all well and good. But the big question is what the ratio is between new players coming in and old players dropping out.
Sure, I guess I was just referencing the "center of gravity" as you put it. I would still call it a "young" hobby overall.

Some might take issue with this,
Nah, everyone always agrees with everything I say.

but I think another way to describe the difference between MMOs and TTRPGs is that the former are more akin to mass media, while the latter is more of a refined taste. Think pop music vs. jazz (or perhaps compare commercial smooth jazz to more avant garde stuff). There's always going to be a kind of pyramid, with fewer people enjoying the more refined stuff.
I don't know about refined. It is just simply personality. But regardless, I think we more or less agree that this pyramid is VERY real.

I think what you point out here is that core fan base is pretty diehard, and not just "lifestyle gamers" with dedicated game rooms, but also folks who might not even be actively playing but love RPGs and buy books to read and maybe play at some point.
At least in part that fits in. But even people who only buy a few books they absolutely will use, if they LOVE playing RPGs they will keep playing RPGs. If the current source dries up, the demand will make itself known. Plus there is plenty out there for all of us to play until we are dead. Remove the battleship from the water, you get really big waves, but 5 minutes later you can't tell it was ever there.

Keldryn

Adventurer
We're a quick-fix culture and like everything fed to us. D&D requires actual work.

...People don't watch movies over reading books because movies are more enjoyable, but because they're easier - they're quick and require little from you, other than just sitting there. A book requires a kind of focus, attention, and patience. It also requires one's imagination to fire.

This right here is why tabletop RPGs will always have a limited appeal.

Most of us today have near-instanteous, on-demand access to more entertainment than we could consume in several lifetimes. Whether it's watching a movie, playing a video game, or reading something on the Web, we rarely have to spend any amount of time not being entertained. Unless you're driving a car.

Modern interactive entertainment is not just readily accessible, it also has few barriers to get started. You can start playing a complex and deep CRPG with a couple of clicks or button presses and the game teaches you how to play as it eases you into the experience. If you only have an hour to play, you can just save your game and come back to it later.

D&D requires significantly more effort just to get started playing. Virtually every step of the way requires more effort than most forms of entertainment that we have available today. You need to read and understand the rules before you start playing. You need to schedule a good 2 to 4 hours of time for playing the game, plus coordinating schedules with 3 or 4 other people. Unless you're using a VTT, most of the players are going to need to travel somewhere. If you're the one hosting the game, you might need to clean up the house a bit. ;) If you're one of the players attending, you might need to buy enough snacks to share. Whoever is running the game needs to prepare an adventure in advance (either buying and reading one or making one up).

And you need to do this on a semi-regular schedule as well. Potential players not only notice that playing the game is more work than their other entertainment options, but they also perceive that the game requires a certain degree of commitment on their part as well. And they wouldn't be wrong about that.

If D&D sounds interesting to you, but none of your friends play it or are interested in playing it, then you've encountered another barrier. Now you need to find a group of players and hope that you like socializing with them for a few hours every week or two. If not, then you get to awkwardly pretend that you're leaving the game because other commitments have come up.

As I said above, every step of the way requires more effort than nearly any other form of entertainment on the market today. I don't know that there is a whole lot more that can be done about it.

This right here is why tabletop RPGs will always have a limited appeal.

Most of us today have near-instanteous, on-demand access to more entertainment than we could consume in several lifetimes. Whether it's watching a movie, playing a video game, or reading something on the Web, we rarely have to spend any amount of time not being entertained. Unless you're driving a car.

Modern interactive entertainment is not just readily accessible, it also has few barriers to get started. You can start playing a complex and deep CRPG with a couple of clicks or button presses and the game teaches you how to play as it eases you into the experience. If you only have an hour to play, you can just save your game and come back to it later.

D&D requires significantly more effort just to get started playing. Virtually every step of the way requires more effort than most forms of entertainment that we have available today. You need to read and understand the rules before you start playing. You need to schedule a good 2 to 4 hours of time for playing the game, plus coordinating schedules with 3 or 4 other people. Unless you're using a VTT, most of the players are going to need to travel somewhere. If you're the one hosting the game, you might need to clean up the house a bit. ;) If you're one of the players attending, you might need to buy enough snacks to share. Whoever is running the game needs to prepare an adventure in advance (either buying and reading one or making one up).

All of the above applies to boardgames, and yet the boardgame industry and hobby are booming. Turns out that despite the marvels of technology, a lot of people still enjoy getting together face-to-face with friends and engaging their minds.

Tony Vargas

Legend
5E Basic is the first real attempt to make D&D truly accessible to casual players in more than 20 years.
Nonsense. The Essentials 'Red Box,' was, just like the 5e basic set, a simultaneous attempt to appeal to nostalgia for the longtime/lapsed player, and 'simplicity' for the new players. Before that, the Encounters program was clearly targeted at casual players, and was much better-supported than it is now, with, like, actual printed adventures and poster maps, instead of expecting you to print out the module or keep it on your tablet.

Going back 20 years, OK, in 1994, 2e was not really doing anything to appeal to new players, I'll grant that.

But 3e had quickstart rules available for free, and it consolidated a lot of very unintuitive mechanics into the much more straightforward d20 core mechanic.

We seem to disagree pretty fundamentally on who and what a grognard is. To me, grognards are the players who started with B/X and AD&D 20+ years ago and play a very stripped-down, simple version of D&D.
The only way someone can see AD&D as simple is by conflating familiarity with simplicity. AD&D was positively baroque.

WotC are reaching out to a wider audience: that booming market of tabletop gamers who have fueled a golden age in boardgames. I know a lot about that market, as I'm probably more of a boardgamer than an RPGer (my membership number on boardgamegeek is in the 200s). I've seen how that hobby has exploded. I have some insight into its appeal.
Do boardgamers love TotM and callbacks to the idiosyncrasies of D&D in the 80s? Because unless they do, WotC ain't reach'n for them with 5e.

Tony, I'm not only focusing on the last six years

You said:

Yes, which given the last six years makes sense. WotC lost many of their core and want them back.
So, yes, that's what you chose to focus on.

But I do think that where the larger challenge has always been how to get new players coming in, over the last six years a new problem has arose: how to get old players back.
It's not a new problem. More people played the game in 1983 than since, getting them back has been the holy grail of D&D marketing, and hasn't met with any more success than seeking new players. Each edition has shed players who preferred the ones before, or who just finally grew bored with it, or who finally found another game & a group willing to play it.

And, while that may seem like a different problem from the equally-enticing and almost as unsuccessful attempts to attract & retain new players, it's entirely likely that they're related, in that it's virtually impossible to chase both at the same time (and trying both, as with the Essentials Red Box, for instance, seems particularly unsuccessful).

I'm reading between the lines here and it is my sense that you are basically saying, "4E was the best chance D&D had to reach a larger market but the grognards and traditionalists ruined it."
That's not far off the mark. 4e /was/ a bid to expand the revenue of the franchise to unprecedented levels. Grognards and edition warriors can't take much credit for ruining it - the bid was mostly focused outside the game itself, on the on-line DDI/VTT as a means of getting an MMO-like revenue stream, and that rather thoroughly crashed and burned in development.

I don't disagree about the attitudes, but think you are making a false equation there and don't think the two are mutually exclusive. The traditional qualities of D&D don't inherently make it unapproachable to new players.
They really do. I don't know how many new players you've introduced to the various editions. I've run introductory games and convention games for decades, and Encounters for most of it's run. The way 4e - and even Essentials - retained new players compared to prior eds was a remarkable thing to see.

Maybe some of the really weird gygaxisms do, but since 2E came out they tend to be rather buried.
Well that's why the game has been attracting so many new players for the last 24 years - oh, no, wait, it hasn't: new players flocked to M:tG and LARPs all through the 2e era, while D&D was ridiculed as the poster-child for "ROLLplaying."

But when I skim through the 5E PHB, which has a more traditional vibe than 4E, I don't see a lot that is overly weird or unapproachable to new players.
When old-timers think about what would attract or please new players, we tend to think about the things /we/ liked about the game when we first tried it. Thing is, we're often wearing some serious rose-colored glasses as we do so.

I skim through 5e and see a delightfully familiar game, with little details that take me right back to 1981, and being the youngest player at the table as we prowl through a dungeon the DM is randomly generating out of the back of the DMG as we go.

We Encounters DMs have a little less freedom this time around, but one thing I didn't find any prohibition against was using the more restrictive encumbrance rules, which seemed like a /great/ idea, at the time, when we were building characters. For me, carefully tracking your gear & treasure to avoid encumbrance penalties was something I found engrossing as a kid. Last night, when half the party was trying to drag the unconscious other half of the party to the Keep, I kinda had to relent a little bit...

Yeah, I think you're right about lower level of investment. If anything, this might be the main source of nerdrage (or grograge) - people saying they love 5E but wish WotC was investing more into it.
I suppose. Or some people could just be inclined to find something to complain about, regardless of what WotC does.

Yeah, I think this is basically right. It also speaks a bit to the dumbing down of our culture, especially with regards to imagination. We're a quick-fix culture and like everything fed to us.
Sheesh. Every generation seems to get the idea that the ones following it are screwed up and undeserving.

It's also funny because you're effectively blaming 'kids these days' for not liking their fathers' D&D, rather than blaming the game for not appealing to them. (And yeah, go ahead and turn that around and say I blamed edition warriors for taking up arms rather than blaming the game that provoked them to do so. I totally do. Unreservedly.)

So this should be a question WotC is asking: How to create venues for people to play D&D casually, but without taking away anything from the game itself?
You don't have to take away from D&D to enable casual gaming. You have to add to it. D&D has long been fantastic for the dedicated/obsessive D&Der. It's complicated, vague, and just tempts you to try to fix it up into some ideal perfect system that you'll never get right but have a lot of fun tinkering with. All those 'fantasy heartbreakers' produced over the years illustrate the phenomenon. As do all those variants and house rules of the 0D&D and 1e AD&D eras.

those thousands of newcomers per year, how many become serious/diehard players?
And how many even enter the hobby vs just trying it once and walking away?

Remember that "high wall" around the hobby?

Last edited:

Nonsense. The Essentials 'Red Box,' was, just like the 5e basic set, a simultaneous attempt to appeal to nostalgia for the longtime/lapsed player, and 'simplicity' for the new players. Before that, the Encounters program was clearly targeted at casual players, and was much better-supported than it is now, with, like, actual printed adventures and poster maps, instead of expecting you to print out the module or keep it on your tablet.

As I've said before, Essentials set the game on the trajectory WotC is continuing with 5E - simpler and more familiar - but it was too little too late; many D&Ders had already decided 4E wasn't for them.

The only way someone can see AD&D as simple is by conflating familiarity with simplicity. AD&D was positively baroque.

RAW isn't the game. Particularly when it comes to AD&D. The way it was played out in the wild by most people was very simple. In fact, a lot of people played B/X and AD&D interchangeably (typically by using AD&D classes, spells, and monsters, and ignoring the rest of AD&D) in a very stripped-down playstyle. Many, many old-school players have testified to this. Again, go read Dragonsfoot sometime. And if you think this is all revisionist edition-warring fabrication, read comments on Dragonsfoot (or the Necromancer Games forums) from 12 years ago.

Also, if old-school players loved such baroque complexity, you have to ask yourself why virtually every OSR game is very, very rules-light compared to 3E or 4E. Read Labyrinth Lord and tell me with a straight face it's as complex as 4E.

You don't have to take away from D&D to enable casual gaming. You have to add to it. D&D has long been fantastic for the dedicated/obsessive D&Der. It's complicated, vague, and just tempts you to try to fix it up into some ideal perfect system that you'll never get right but have a lot of fun tinkering with. All those 'fantasy heartbreakers' produced over the years illustrate the phenomenon. As do all those variants and house rules of the 0D&D and 1e AD&D eras.

Sorry, but that isn't the approach WotC is taking with 5E. Mearls has said D&D catered for too long to the hardcore gamers. They want some of that growing tabletop gaming pie. You seem bitter they didn't grow the game with 4E, and convinced they can't do it now with 5E. I guess we'll see.

I don't regard the prevalence of MMOs as a sign that there is a groundswell of potential D&D players waiting to burst forth. Indeed, I see it as the exact opposite: Back in the day, before MMOs, there were a lot of people who just wanted to hack up monsters. They played D&D because it was the best option available at the time.

QF(partial)T. There are roleplayers on MMOs, but MMOs beat D&D hollow for within the lines hack and slash.

Basically, instead of thinking about how to build a game for MMO players, think about how to build a game for fanfic writers. (Yes, this means we're going to see a lot more of Drizzt. Sorry. Better get used to it. ;) )

Avery Mcaldando's Monsterhearts is doing pretty well at this - but hasn't the market penetration. Vincent Baker has some interesting experiences - and it's why he's been writing odd little games like The Sundered Land.But whatever such games look like, they are going to look next to nothing like D&D.

Wow, are we having a non-linear conversation or what? I wonder about the nature of this 'wall' around the hobby /that you brought up/ and how it's clearly been up since the end of the fad in the 80s, and all you an focus on is the last 6 years and trying to get back offended players with the fiction of a 'simple' (actually just familiar) game? The 'high wall around the hobby' is not keeping Pathfinder or AD&D fans out, it's keeping /new/ fans out. Appealing to grognards is not the solution - it may well be part of the problem.

Again, yup. We need something at least as different as Vampire: the Masquerade was. And something that will cause that type of upheaval in the community. Some of the story games people (Vincent Baker, Paul Czege, and Jason Morningstar in particular) are trying - but it's like trying to bottle lightning.

Crunch heavy games (and yes, every version of D&D fits) are scary.

In the past, I always assumed D&D was held back by the 'geek' stigma, but that doesn't hold water anymore.

I'd say it's held back by the "why" question. "Why do we need rules to make up stories?" Which is why Fiasco and Dread are both brilliant intro games.

Those last two are pretty nearly mutually exclusive. The things that make the game familiar and 'really D&D' to us old-timers (and lapsed players) make it weird and less-approachable to new players (old or young). The /attitudes/ of grognards don't help, either.

Seconded. But 4e's presentation was frightful if you want a low barrier to entry. It was decently designed to tap the boardgame and the MMO markets but whoever was in charge of layout should have been fired.

The Industry's problem isn't, and never has been, that the hobby is "Greying" or that it new generations aren't interested. The Industry's problem has always been the Myths it constructs to explain its inability to advance beyond a business model that quite frankly sucked in the 70's and hasn't improved.

The Industry generally claims that the reason board games and RPG's fell out of favor was because of video games. The problem with this assertion is that it assumes that video games are some kind of unbeatable product that people are drawn to. Video games are what people are having fun playing, the reason board games and RPG's fell out of favor is because people weren't having fun playing them. It's really that simple, if a person enjoys something, they'll spend time doing it. If they don't enjoy it, they won't.

Again, seconded. Video games have a low barrier to entry. We're having a boardgame renaissance right now - there's no reason TTRPGs shouldn't also be joining in.

-For RPG's there's a *major* hurdle in learning the game. To play the game, with just core books, you're talking several hundred pages at a minimum.

Agreed - in part. The hurdle isn't that big for most of what both the Storygame and the OSR communities are producing. FAE fits in 64 pages I think. The rules for anything PBTA fit on a tiny handful. Fiasco? Not many rules. Most OSR stuff is almost as light.

Starting in the late 90's, people's time spent on reading decreased significantly enough that the bookstore industry pretty much died.

People read more than they ever have at any point in history. We just don't print it out onto dead trees first

-There's also the movement away from quality retail adventures. If you're time limited, or imagination limited, without good pre-written adventures you simply are not a player.

Again this is incredibly insular. A lot of modern RPGs (Fiasco and the entire Apocalypse World family spring to mind) give you tools to invent adventures on the fly. This is another problem with the big bulky book presentation model.

But the problem with such games is that you can sell the game, but then what do you sell next? You can't really sell a product line. You need to sell an entirely new game. Monetisation is a problem.

Dausuul

Legend
Starting in the late 90's, people's time spent on reading decreased significantly enough that the bookstore industry pretty much died.
The brick and mortar bookstore industry died because Amazon killed it and took its stuff. Amazon's doing just fine.

Mercurius

Legend
It's more omnipresent. Rather than just some kids having access to the virtual entertainment, all kids have access via PCs or consoles or mobile devices. But compared to the kid who had an NES or PC the distraction is just as great as the current kid who has a smartphone. Possibly less so as the time required to play through a classic NES game (Dragon Slayer, Mario, Zelda, Final Fantasy) is so much longer than a lot of current games.

Yeah, the smartphone adds a whole new dimension - entertainment in one's pocket. This impacts everyone - young and old(ish) alike. This is really another whole discussion, although related to this one, but I don't think we'll fully understand the negative elements of the cultural impact of smartphones for a few years yet. I'm not a luddite, but also find the "technological utopia" ideology laughably naive; for every step forward a new range of problems arise.

Sure, I guess I was just referencing the "center of gravity" as you put it. I would still call it a "young" hobby overall.

Sure, in that 40 years isn't so long historically speaking. But I guess my question is whether it is largely a Boomer-to-Gen Y thing, centered on Gen X, or if it will capture Gen Z kids for whom advanced entertainment technologies are not just available, but ubiquitous.

I don't know about refined. It is just simply personality. But regardless, I think we more or less agree that this pyramid is VERY real.

I have to disagree with you here, Bryon. Preference for the Transformers movies vs. the novels of Proust isn't just a personality thing, just as preference for Dunkin Donuts over gourmet French pastries speaks to a lack of refinement of tastes. Any kind of taste requires a development of a palate; in the case of video games vs. RPGs, the palate involves the deeper, more refined taste of self-generated imagination, wonderment, etc.

At least in part that fits in. But even people who only buy a few books they absolutely will use, if they LOVE playing RPGs they will keep playing RPGs. If the current source dries up, the demand will make itself known. Plus there is plenty out there for all of us to play until we are dead. Remove the battleship from the water, you get really big waves, but 5 minutes later you can't tell it was ever there.

True. This reminds me of a thought I once had, about what would happen to RPGs if all publishers ceased publishing - or at least the major ones. I imagine there would still be a vibrant "underground" community, with tons of people self-publishing online, kickstarters, etc.

Although unfortunately even then, people like to text and drive! I can't tell you how many people I see texting while driving.

But yeah, as to the rest, you're preaching to the choir, bub. One other issue you didn't mention is when you play with a group of players and you're the only one who really wants to DM; if your group plays or not is entirely dependent on whether one person has the time and energy to prepare a game. So much of D&D at least is reliant upon one person, the DM.

All of the above applies to boardgames, and yet the boardgame industry and hobby are booming. Turns out that despite the marvels of technology, a lot of people still enjoy getting together face-to-face with friends and engaging their minds.

Well here's the thing: As I see it, there are two major qualities that tabletop RPGs have that video games don't really have, which is imagination and social interaction (and board games lack the former, for the most part). Humans, young and old, crave both. The problem isn't that we don't want these things, its that it is too easy to find surrogates - through video games and other discursive, passive, and non-creative entertainments. And what people don't realize, in my opinion, is that those "lesser" entertainments won't truly satisfy the deeper longings that tabletop RPGs can satisfy; all they do is "fill one up," like junk food. But like junk food, the underlying nutritional need remains unsatisfied.

But as for board games, they're a lot easier to prepare for than an RPG. First of all, most board games are a one-off - you play for a few hours and then are done. No picking up things where you left off. Board games are short stories rather than novels.

You said:

So, yes, that's what you chose to focus on.

Talk about selective reading! Tony, to be honest I find it a bit challenging conversing with you because you're so clearly defensive about anything having to do with 4E and seem to (mis)translate anything anyone says that isn't glowing adoration as an attack.

So yeah I hear you, as Haffrung put it, you're pissed off that WotC moved on from 4E. Nothing I can do about that.

That's not far off the mark. 4e /was/ a bid to expand the revenue of the franchise to unprecedented levels. Grognards and edition warriors can't take much credit for ruining it - the bid was mostly focused outside the game itself, on the on-line DDI/VTT as a means of getting an MMO-like revenue stream, and that rather thoroughly crashed and burned in
development.

I think that you're somewhat wilfully ignoring the fact that 4E--for whatever reason--split the community in a way that WotC wanted to rectify, and tried to rectify with 5E. Even if 4E is the best version of D&D evar, it still wasn't well received by the community as a whole. And in the end, for better or worse, that matters.

The question has always been two-fold: how to bring back lapsed players and how to find new ones. But 4E was the first time that large segment of active players left en masse, which was a huge problem for WotC and the health of D&D.

So regardless of how good 4E was as a game, it was terribly divisive to the community and had to be let go of.

They really do. I don't know how many new players you've introduced to the various editions. I've run introductory games and convention games for decades, and Encounters for most of it's run. The way 4e - and even Essentials - retained new players compared to prior eds was a remarkable thing to see.

I believe you - but it seems that your experience is somewhat localized and clearly and exception rather than the rule, otherwise 4E wouldn't have fizzled and died three years after it first came out.

When old-timers think about what would attract or please new players, we tend to think about the things /we/ liked about the game when we first tried it. Thing is, we're often wearing some serious rose-colored glasses as we do so.

Of course, although that doesn't mean that the two--what old players like and what will attract new players--are mutually exclusive. I would argue that the underlying qualities are somewhat universal - e.g. the play of imagination; Mearls' three pillars of exploration, combat, and social interaction; heroic adventure, etc.

I skim through 5e and see a delightfully familiar game, with little details that take me right back to 1981, and being the youngest player at the table as we prowl through a dungeon the DM is randomly generating out of the back of the DMG as we go.

Yes, that's part of it. I also see a streamlined game that reflects the last 25 years of game design, and little innovations and new bits here and there.

We Encounters DMs have a little less freedom this time around, but one thing I didn't find any prohibition against was using the more restrictive encumbrance rules, which seemed like a /great/ idea, at the time, when we were building characters. For me, carefully tracking your gear & treasure to avoid encumbrance penalties was something I found engrossing as a kid. Last night, when half the party was trying to drag the unconscious other half of the party to the Keep, I kinda had to relent a little bit...

Not sure what your point is?

Sheesh. Every generation seems to get the idea that the ones following it are screwed up and undeserving.

It's also funny because you're effectively blaming 'kids these days' for not liking their fathers' D&D, rather than blaming the game for not appealing to them. (And yeah, go ahead and turn that around and say I blamed edition warriors for taking up arms rather than blaming the game that provoked them to do so. I totally do. Unreservedly.)

That is not at all what I am saying. Actually, I find that every generation has its foibles and hangups, but I take the view that "normalcy" is a mild form of psychopathology!

I'm not blaming "kids these days" for growing up in a context where adults these days exploit them by surrounding them with junk food entertainments.

As an aside, youdo realize that there are 4Edition warriors too, right? :erm:

But as for board games, they're a lot easier to prepare for than an RPG. First of all, most board games are a one-off - you play for a few hours and then are done. No picking up things where you left off. Board games are short stories rather than novels.

True. But I was disputing the notion that people can't be bothered to get together face-to-face to play games anymore because of the convenience of digital gaming. My local boardgaming convention has grown in size from 200 to over 500 attendees in the space of eight years. Chat with the attendees and you find out most of them are in regular, face-to-face gaming groups. Local meet-ups are hugely popular. WotC wants a piece of that action.

Remove ads