Mounted Combat Rules Discussions?

Falcon

First Post
Hey Everyone.

Since Search is disabled right now, I thought I'd pester you all to see if you know of any good Mounted Combat discussion threads. The campaign I DM is starting to have a fair amount of it, and we all had questions. I'd like to bone-up on any other discussions regarding Mounted Combat.
Thanks.

Last edited:

Maudlin

First Post
You might try the example combat at the end of Sword and Fist... it covers most bases.

Maybe it'd help if you asked some of the specific questions?

Falcon

First Post
I was looking for any general discussions, but I do have some specific ones. I am at work right now (Don't tell the boss!!), so I don't have them with me. I will try post some later.

Rackhir

Explorer
One particularly nice twist in the mounted combat rules, is that while you can only use a standard attack action with melee weapons(not the full attack action), since you have to "wait" for your mount to get there. If you are an archer, you CAN still use the full attack action at the half way point of your mounts move. I would look into doing a horse archer group, if you are doing lots of mounted combat. Emulate the Mongols.

LostSoul

Adventurer
Rackhir said:
One particularly nice twist in the mounted combat rules, is that while you can only use a standard attack action with melee weapons(not the full attack action), since you have to "wait" for your mount to get there.

Well, only if your mount moves. It's the same as normal combat except you are using your mount's speed for your own. Basically. ;)

Rashak Mani

First Post
The mounted Archer was the most effective military unit for maybe a thousand years... gamewise if you have the space to maneuver its unbeatable without heavy magic use. Lightwarhorses are so dam fast... 60 ft.

Maudlin

First Post
I'd have to disagree with the claim that it's just like normal melee at higher speed. Especially with the Mounted feat chain, it can be VERY powerful.

First of all, consider all the ways to increase your damage on a charge:

Lance - Double damage
Spirited Charge - Triple Damage
Deadly Charge (Cavalier PrC, S&F) - Quantuple Damage
Rhino hide armour - Quintuple Damage
Critical hit - Septuple damage :D
Power Lunge - Double Str modifier

From a tactical standpoint, your options also increase radically.

Versus a single foe, you can simply charge back and forth, never coming closer than 10 feet and casually doing 4x damage. Your opponent had better have reach weapons if he wants to touch you, since you always end up 50' away at the end of your turn (Ride-By Attack).

By level 6-7, you can easily (non-buffed) deal up to 75-100 damage like this. That'll drop most stuff at that level, so add (Great) Cleave to the mix. You can charge a GROUP of creatures and splatter all of them in 1 round.

If your opponent is powerful at range, get in close (you can move up to 100' and still get in an attack). With a DC 10 Ride check, your mount can attack along with you! Its two hoof attacks are perfect for Tripping someone (Large, 18 Str, 4 legs). You're still 10 feet away at this point, attacking with your lance. If he is tripped, he doesn't get full attacks unless he doesn't mind his -4 on attack and AC.

If your opponent chooses to attack your mount, you can substitute its AC with a Ride check, putting it in the high 20s on average (if you complete the Cavalier PrC, this can negate attacks that would hit AC 40 quite easily). If your opponent attacks you, with a DC 15 Ride check, you can use your mount as half cover.

If your DM catches on quickly (like mine), your mount actually becomes one of the most high-priority targets on the battlefield :)

Falcon

First Post
I just tried to use the search engine and it says it has been disabled by the administrator. :confused:

Thanks for the links, though!!!

Artoomis

First Post
Falcon said:
I just tried to use the search engine and it says it has been disabled by the administrator. :confused:

Thanks for the links, though!!!

You misunderstood - you can click at the top of each column to sort the column - and use that as a primitive search feature.

Remove ads