D&D 5E multilass builds (kits)

I was thinking about multi classing, and I just read in another thread about swordmages and bladesingers and started to think of 2e kits.

So what if, in the spirit of 2e we have kits that are 2 class combo. Something that buildsfrom both classes.

Example: Bladesinger is Both a tradition and fighting style. So bladesingers have there own at will and signitire spells, and there own use of expertise dice.

Mystic theurge is both a cleric domain and a wizard tradtion

You might even build in some kits to be the same the classes, giving you some intresting choices: swordmage, bladesinger, eldritch knight, spell sword are all fighter and wizard

I completely agree. With this method you can have the simplicity of a core set of classes and allow groups to expand on the complexity of the character as they want.

1: select a class and race, lets play
2: add in a theme of the selected class
3: add in a background of the selected class
4: allow selection of 'multi-class' themes and backgrounds
5: allow custom themes and backgrounds

The end result should be a character that is clearly belonging to the base class and clearly belonging to the race, with a multitude of potential variants.

Since you are replacing instead of adding, the resulting power of the character depends on how well the synergies are realized. Generally a multi-class will be of lesser power as the core themes have the best synergies with their related class.

HardcoreDandDGirl

First Post
I like the idea, and it got me thinking about how I would implement it. I would start with giving an option to swap deadly strike to the bladesinger for Arcane strike. Arcane strike would be when you hit choose a spell you have prepped, roll your expertise dice, add that much damage of the type of damage the spell does to your damage. So a bladesinger with fire ball and Shocking grasp prepped could choose lighting or fire, but once he uses the fireball is stuck with just lighting damage.

Blade dance, move up to your movement rate, and any enemy you pass you may spend an expertise die to make an attack against, if you hit roll expertise die instead of weapon die, and add your int mod instead of your str mod, still add any magic properties from your weapon. (This is an action not a move)

I then thought about swordmages, and how they are in 4e. I would give them their own arcane maneuvers to pick from.

Sword Burst, roll all your expertise dice, all creatures in melee range with you roll a dex save DC 13 on a failed save they take full damage, and a missed save they take half.

Ageis of Shielding, Choose an enemy within 30ft, choose how many dice to put toward this, You point your weapon at him and utter an arcane challenge that creature glows with a blue aura of magic, if he attacks one of your allies before the end of your next turn you may roll however many expertise dice you spend on this and take the highest, reduce the damage done by that much.

Ageis of Assault, Choose an enemy within 30ft, choose how many dice to put toward this, You point your weapon at him and utter an arcane challenge that creature glows with a red aura of magic, if he attacks one of your allies before the end of your next turn you may use an interrupt to teleport adjacent to him, and deal damage equal to your expertise dice.

Then you can give a more generic any fighter/caster power like:

Arcane Might, when a target takes damage from a spell you cast you may spend as many expertise dice as you like to augment the damage. If you augment only 1 target he takes the total of your roll, if you augment multi targets you roll all the expertise dice but only take the largest. (Variant rule: assiang upto 1 die per target)

the Jester

Legend
I'm not quite sure what you mean.

Are you suggesting that each multiclass option should have its own separate kit that replaces the base classes? If so, that sounds like exxxtreme page bloat to me.

I'm not sure what you mean by "kit" in this context; are you suggesting we should add another character creation element to the game? If so, I'm against it; 5e's character creation rules are already more complex than I favor, with too many pieces.

I favor 3e style multiclassing.

It is no more then picking a tradtion or style... Infact in a multi class it is one LESS because you would pick each, now it is one choice instead of two

Edit: instead of being a fighter(slayer)/wizard (warmage) you would be a fighter/wizard (bladesinger) and still have the option of background and theme

Last edited:

steeldragons

Steeliest of the dragons
Epic
I'm partial to what you are suggesting as a "kit", if I'm reading this properly, as being the specialty/theme of the multiclass.

You are not a fighter/mage (bladesinger) and then get a background and specialty on top of that?! Nuh no. Background, fine, sure. But "bladesinger" is your theme/specialty. You don't/shouldn't get another one (until such a level/time as you would be allowed a 2nd one).

I heartily agree you should not be able to be a fighter(slayer)/mage(scholar). You should not be able to multiclass and specialize times two.

Just ruffles ye olde fluff feathers. You are already training in twice as much stuff as the single classed guy...really, when you think about it, they shouldn't be allowed a specialization on top of that at all, but I can live with 1 for both.

--SD

I'm partial to what you are suggesting as a "kit", if I'm reading this properly, as being the specialty/theme of the multiclass.

You are not a fighter/mage (bladesinger) and then get a background and specialty on top of that?! Nuh no. Background, fine, sure. But "bladesinger" is your theme/specialty. You don't/shouldn't get another one (until such a level/time as you would be allowed a 2nd one).

I heartily agree you should not be able to be a fighter(slayer)/mage(scholar). You should not be able to multiclass and specialize times two.

Just ruffles ye olde fluff feathers. You are already training in twice as much stuff as the single classed guy...really, when you think about it, they shouldn't be allowed a specialization on top of that at all, but I can live with 1 for both.

--SD

The sub build should not eat your specilty though

steeldragons

Steeliest of the dragons
Epic
The sub build should not eat your specilty though

*shrug* Why not?

The player wants and gets extra powers, bells and whistles by 1) multiclassing and 2) applying this specialty/sub-theme/pseudo-class on it...which presumably will grant them a coupla other powers/bells and whistles/"feats".

Why should the player then be granted more bells and whistles and powers and feats over top of that?

*shrug* Why not?

The player wants and gets extra powers, bells and whistles by 1) multiclassing and 2) applying this specialty/sub-theme/pseudo-class on it...which presumably will grant them a coupla other powers/bells and whistles/"feats".

Why should the player then be granted more bells and whistles and powers and feats over top of that?

I dont think you understand it is not there specility or background, it is there fighting style and tradition. All fighters get a style and all wizards get a tradition, this is just one of each

steeldragons

Steeliest of the dragons
Epic
I dont think you understand it is not there specility or background, it is there fighting style and tradition. All fighters get a style and all wizards get a tradition, this is just one of each

Ahhhhh....so 5e is granting them these styles/traditions...and THEN themes/specialties over top of that?

Then I was mistaken and suppose you are correct...I still see no reason this should be the case, but if that's what the rules say.

I was under the impression that styles/schemes/domains/traditions were the "specialties" (nee "themes"). If it's not that way...I'll just go on record as saying I think it should be.

B'anywho, I do think you have something with making the spellsword/swordmage/bladesinger into a single tradition/style for a mage/fighter multiclass.

Other suggestions could be "Trickster" for a thief/illusionist and/or thief/mage; "Warden" for ranger/clerics or fighter/druids; "Scald" for fighter/bards; "Swashbuckler" for fighter/thieves; etc...

--SD

Remove ads