My 8-point Agenda [for gaming]

DayTripper

Explorer
(with apologies to The Herbaliser featuring Latyrx)

Over the years I have gone through phases of mixing with other gamers, going to conventions, dabbling in organised play, trying out different RPG clubs & games. My experiences may not be as extensive as others but are probably more than most (by virtue of age if nothing else). I have met many types of gamer, introduced more than my fair share of people to RPG (how many still play is another question), from all walks of life, gender (male, female, trans), lucky, unlucky, supra-genius, below average, very rich, very poor, clueless, clued-in, space cadets, ground control-freaks and everything in-between.

So I think I have acquired some wisdom about gamers and gaming. Somewhat arrogantly, I thought I would share this wisdom. If we all shared the values I’m about to list I’m sure we’d all have better gaming experiences. All of the points are linked to a greater or lesser extent, some may appear to duplicate but I think that they also stand-up for themselves. I’ve added a few extra comments to clarify what is uppermost in my mind for some of the points. There are other values that can be derived from each point too but rather than point them out I’ve left them as fairly plain principals. In no particular order:

Point 1: Be optimal, don’t optimise
Point 2: Play to the spirit of the game
Point 3: Be friendly
Point 4: Explore and be rewarded
Point 5: Participate – be an active & interested player.
Point 6: Commit – don’t be flaky: turn-up, bring your character sheet & dice!
Point 7: Invest – time and, where needed/possible, money. Learn the basic rules.
Point 8: Be creative – use your imagination, role-play, contribute to your gaming experience.

Scribble

First Post
Maybe I misunderstand, but I would re-write point 1 as Play to the Spirit of the house?

Some groups like to optimize, some don't. It's not really a universal thing.

Karak

First Post
This may not fit in your list, I am having a bit of trouble identifying who the list would be for but...FUN should be in there somewhere. Unless I missed it, the majority of my gamers get together to have a good time. For 27 years of GM'ing whenever I ask someone why they play or why they want to play a certain way, fun is always #1 .
I might just be misunderstanding the use of the list.

It is surprising how many times people will read a list or think about particular things and miss out on the main reason to play which is fun/enjoyment, and so on.

When working with our play-testers every single time they filled out a form and we asked them for our games strength it was "fun to play" and whenever we asked them for the #1 reason they played a roleplaying game it was also listed as "fun" or other words that meant the same thing.
Some people may think that is not needed on a list but the number of people I have found that were unhappy in gaming that was the #1 reason. They just weren't enjoying themselves and didn't understand how to have fun because other things were considered more important. I know that fun is hard to quantify but I don't know. Its important to everyone I run into.

Last edited:

Back when I was a kid, it was assumed that we learned to be polite, thoughtful and respectful to our friends as a matter of course.

It seems to me like most of those eight points really boil down to that, and aren't more particularly relevent to gaming than they are to anything else in life.

DayTripper

Explorer
Fun is essential - why play any game/sport/pasttime other than for fun - but I think that if the 8 principles outlined above are adhered to then fun will emerge because everyone will be actively participating in the game, employing their creativity and thereby having fun.

The list isn't for anyone in particular, its just a set of principles that I think make for good, entertaining gaming based on my experiences. Others may find other princples to game by.

I don't take politeness and respect as read when I meet other gamers these days. You might be surprised how many flaky, uncommitted, uninvested gamers I meet these days. Perhaps I'm getting old ;)

Karak

First Post
Fun is essential - why play any game/sport/pasttime other than for fun - but I think that if the 8 principles outlined above are adhered to then fun will emerge because everyone will be actively participating in the game, employing their creativity and thereby having fun.

The list isn't for anyone in particular, its just a set of principles that I think make for good, entertaining gaming based on my experiences. Others may find other princples to game by.

I don't take politeness and respect as read when I meet other gamers these days. You might be surprised how many flaky, uncommitted, uninvested gamers I meet these days. Perhaps I'm getting old ;)

I am thinking this one was for me so I will throw a little bit more into it.

Ya I think the list is great.

I agree that most of the time fun does come from those things. I sadly seem to run into a different type of gamer than you it seems. One who's past experiences force-feed them data(video games) and many times they don't really understand how to get fun out of something without being reminded that fun is a goal. Also sometimes their idea of fun isn't actual contribution for contributions sake or the normal things that we all take as the reason to role-play.

For example some of the players we play-tested for AfterEarth rated acquisition of items very high in their reason to play(they were all heavy video gamers), while those who role-played more all listed exploring interesting places and acquiring power(as in levels or political/tactical power in the game-world) as their most important link to fun.

That's just my experience that's why I like to point out when I get new people together that fun is the number 1 rule and we discuss what they enjoy and more importantly what they THINK they might enjoy from role-playing.

Also I have found a good deal of gamers who don't get fun from the same things other role-players do. I think its probably just the different people. You all kinds and for me its always easier to define fun and how they want/plan/think they will get it and then build from there.

I agree with you 100% I see the type of gamers you talk about a great deal as well. I feel that video-games have really impacted role-playing. Bringing in some new blood at times but also offering up a fresh and unique problem set.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases