D&D General My "Perfect D&D" Would Include...

My "Perfect D&D" Would include...

• Alignment

Votes: 41 39.0%
  • Species as Class

Votes: 7 6.7%
  • Species Class and Level Limits

Votes: 7 6.7%
  • "Kits"

Votes: 17 16.2%
  • Prestige Classes

Votes: 24 22.9%
  • Class Archetypes

Votes: 51 48.6%
  • Open Multiclassing (ie not limited by species)

Votes: 54 51.4%
  • Psionics (as a separate, distinct magic subsystem)

Votes: 37 35.2%
  • Paragon Paths

Votes: 20 19.0%
  • "Encounter Abilities" in some form

Votes: 26 24.8%
  • Complex Martials

Votes: 50 47.6%
  • Advantage/Disadvantage

Votes: 67 63.8%
  • Save or Die/Suck effects

Votes: 29 27.6%
  • Level Drain

Votes: 23 21.9%
  • Rulership/Leadership rules

Votes: 48 45.7%
  • Warfare Rules

Votes: 45 42.9%
  • Paths to immortality

Votes: 21 20.0%
  • 20 levels or less

Votes: 52 49.5%
  • 20 levels or more

Votes: 21 20.0%
  • Epic Level Rules (distinct from pre-epic advancement)

Votes: 24 22.9%
  • Narrow species choices

Votes: 25 23.8%
  • Broad species choices

Votes: 33 31.4%
  • Quadratic Wizards

Votes: 8 7.6%
  • Grid based combat

Votes: 54 51.4%
  • Theater of the mind based combat

Votes: 57 54.3%
  • Skill Challenges

Votes: 48 45.7%
  • Detailed Travel/Journey Rules

Votes: 61 58.1%
  • Detailed Social Rules/Social "combat"

• Skills

Votes: 90 85.7%
  • Feats

Votes: 67 63.8%
  • Categorical Sving throws (AD&D)

Votes: 9 8.6%
  • 3 Saves (Fort, Ref, Will)

Votes: 40 38.1%
  • Ability based Saves

Votes: 35 33.3%
  • Proficiency Bonus

• XP from treasure

Votes: 30 28.6%
  • XP from combat

Votes: 36 34.3%
  • XP from story

Votes: 64 61.0%
  • Player facing item creation rules

Votes: 35 33.3%
  • Templates (for monsters)

• Random treasure tables

Votes: 53 50.5%
  • Something I forgot

Clint_L

Hero
It would depend on where it came from, i think. If it comes from gold, you encourage a more old school playstyle. If it comes from story, you encourage more of a Hickman playstyle. If it comes from milestones, you encourage a rollercoaster* playstyle. If it comes from discovery, you encourage a more sandbox playstyle. Of course, encouragement doesn't guarantee behavior. It's D&D and 90% of a character's abilities are focused on combat, so they'll still fight.

*I use "rollercoaster" instead of "railroad" because rollercoasters are fun!
This is not how I use milestone progression. The milestones aren't predetermined - the party just levels up when it feels right. It's kind of a mutual agreement thing. So there's no railroad or rollercoaster involved. Rollercoasters are fun, though!

Weapon vs. Armor Type modifiers. Or Armor vs. Damage Type. Whichever. I loved that. Anything that makes combat more realistic and less cinematic by default.
I'd also like to see a return to fewer spells for low-level spellcasters. Maybe fewer spells in general. I'm tired of every Player's Handbook having 100+ pages of magic rules and spells lists--the toys of the caster classes--while there are fewer than half a dozen pages given to weapons and armor--the toys of the "martial" classes.

In my perfect D&D, every person who plays this game will control their own destiny. A game of the truly free! A game of declaring action, not spewing words; ruled by judgement, not rule sets! Where the rules change to suit the individual, not the other way around. Where power and rules are back where they belong: in the hands of the people! Where every player is free to think - to play - for themselves! The strongest tables will thrive - free to play as they see fit. In my perfect D&D, PCs will die and kill for what they BELIEVE! Not for gold. not for exp! Not to gain inspiration. Every PC will be free to undertake their own quests!

Kits, Prestige class (and epic destinys) class archtype (I am thinking of it and kits like modern warlock 2 choices) psionics (as seprate) paragon paths, encounter abilities, complex martials, Advantage disadvantage, SoD/SoS effects (for everyone) level drain (mostly like 3e not 2e), leadership rules, paths to immortality (maybe through epic destiny) 20levels or more (I would love for each class to have 30+ levels with the DM having any point they can cap for the next one) Epic rules (so you can do Epic 6, Epic 10, or EPic 30 or anywhere between), Broad species choices, Theater of the mind combat (with OPTIONAL grid) Detailed travel/journey, Detailed social rules, skills, feats, 3 saves (or defenses or maybe 3 defenses and 2 saves...) prof bonus, xp from treasure combat and story, player facing item creation, templates for monsters, and random treasure tables

Over all I will add LESS hp then 3e/4e/5e but slightly more then 2e... and front loaded (like 4e) HD as the main healing mechanic (spend HD or heal as if you spent HD)

I have tried to design this like 100 times and failed, but basicly the unholy love child of 2e 4e and a bit of 5e is what I want...

my most resent attempt had me take artificer and warlock as my base classes refluff and rebuild them into fighter thief and magic user with a prof bonus equal to 1/3 level and a non prof bonus equal to 1/5 level and an 'expertise' of 1/2 level and 'mastery' as 1/2 level+1 everyone starts with 3HD and gets a HD at odd levels not even (where you get a set +1/+2/+3) you don't get con bonus to hp BUT you get con bonus to HD spent to heal...

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases