D&D 5E Mystic Playtest Stories/Opinions?

wyrdone

First Post
The Mystic (Psion) playtest levels 1-5 were released last month. Has anyone had a chance to roll one up and take it out for a few sessions?

It's one thing to theorycraft about them and another to actually play them in a game. I'm really excited for psionics in 5th edition and I want to know how the new Psion is shaping up.

CoralWindgate

First Post
Just rolled an Aarakocra Awakened Mystic up at the highest level for an in-process game. I'll let you know how it goes. I like the class so far, can't wait for more disciplines.

My playgroup is taking a little break from our Al-Qadim campaign to dabble in some higher-level shenanigans and I'm playing a Mystic (Order of the Immortal) 5 / Fighter (Eldritch Knight) 7.

We've only had one play session so far but my character felt fairly balanced. You can burn through your Psi points to do some great burst damage (much like a Paladin) yet still have utility after they're spent. It's a reasonably malleable class and fun to play. If anything, a few of the abilities are abuseable when multiclassing.

It'll be interesting to see the other options and if the ones provided get any further polishing.

*EDIT* I did wonder if the Psionic Weapon Discipline used your Dicipline Attack bonus (Proficiency + INT) to hit or not. That bit was confusing.

Last edited:

Raven.Blooded

First Post
I have been playing an Awakened Mystic for over 6 sessions.

Their ability to use their psychic attack "cantrip" to hit INT AC almost always guarantees a hit every round.

Their Object Reading ability has been very handy...I have found so many uses for it. Tracking someone? Use it on objects to see if the subject passed by as you get flashes of sound & sight from that object. You can also focus on an item & drop it into a foe's equipment so you can hear around them when you "let" them escape.

The discipline that allows you to grant Disadvantage to any enemy who attacks you "at will" has luckily allowed me never to be hit in combat by direct attacks.

So far I really love the class but definitely want to see the other disciplines.

Remove ads